First build, I'm new into hi-fi audio looking for advice.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Not really. You will want to have your receiver in a well-ventilated area though.
And some fans on top, properly speed regulated to make them inaudible from MLP, of course.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
OK, but you should work on that skill ;)
Man, some are just rap to tight I guess. What skill does one need for telling jokes? Don't you guys over in Switzerland have these guy's? Ricola!!! Lol :p;)
Screenshot_20220718-153933~2.png

K

Kiebry

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm in the market for a home cinema set up. I'm just wondering which set-up is the best for my room. My living room is 12 x 18 ft, and I want an all-encompassing sound. I watch a lot of movies, so I want something with good bass, where I can feel my seat vibrating. I'm wondering, what is the difference between 3.1 and 5.1?

I've had a look around at Hifi systems, but I'm just not sure which components to buy, how much to spend and how many speakers I need to fill the room with sound.

Anyone's advice would be great :)

Thanks,
Kie

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi, I'm in the market for a home cinema set up. I'm just wondering which set-up is the best for my room. My living room is 12 x 18 ft, and I want an all-encompassing sound. I watch a lot of movies, so I want something with good bass, where I can feel my seat vibrating. I'm wondering, what is the difference between 3.1 and 5.1?

I've had a look around at Hifi systems, but I'm just not sure which components to buy, how much to spend and how many speakers I need to fill the room with sound.

Thanks,
Kie
It's a good idea to start your own new topic as each person's requirements and goals are different and more people will respond to a new topic as opposed to tacking on to an old one.

For starters, stay away from that LG system. Those integrated systems are poorly made and if the main piece (centre speaker with amps) goes the whole system is junked. 3.1 is 3 front speakers and 1 subwoofer. 5.1 is 3 front speakers, 2 rear/side speakers and 1 subwoofer. You may also see for example 5.2.4 which have 2 subwoofers and 4 effects speakers (like 4 in-ceiling for ATMOS).

12x18 is a medium sized room and 5.1 is the minimum starting point for a surround setup. Whether you want to take that to 7.2.4 (3 fronts, 2 sides, 2 rears; 2 subwoofers; 4 ceiling) depends on your budget and whether you have the space and ability to install that many speakers. A decent 5.1 system can be put together for $2500 US (around £2100) PLUS the cost of the television. That can include a small subwoofer, but if you want to be able to "feel" your seat vibrating, as you say, you will need to upgrade to a much better sub and that alone will add £800 to the cost.

So, my recommendation is to first work out a budget. What is the maximum that you can afford and do you already have a TV or is the TV required as well? How many speakers do you want in the system? Is 5 speakers with a sub enough or do you want the complete surround experience with overhead effects, and do you have the ability to get wiring to all of those speaker locations? With those questions in mind, start a new topic with your budget, room size, and your end goal. People can then begin to make recommendations. You linked to a UK web site so it's good to mention that you are in the UK as speaker options will be different.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Thanks,
Kie
How much are you WILLING to spend? :D

I remember my first true system consisted of 5 small NHT bookshelf speakers + 1 passive NHT subwoofer, which equaled $1K. Then added a $500 5.1 AVR, so it was $1,500.

So how much do you want to spend?

K

Kiebry

Audiophyte
How much are you WILLING to spend? :D

I remember my first true system consisted of 5 small NHT bookshelf speakers + 1 passive NHT subwoofer, which equaled $1K. Then added a $500 5.1 AVR, so it was $1,500.

So how much do you want to spend?
Probably want to spend somewhere between 1-1.5K on the set up

K

Kiebry

Audiophyte
It's a good idea to start your own new topic as each person's requirements and goals are different and more people will respond to a new topic as opposed to tacking on to an old one.

For starters, stay away from that LG system. Those integrated systems are poorly made and if the main piece (centre speaker with amps) goes the whole system is junked. 3.1 is 3 front speakers and 1 subwoofer. 5.1 is 3 front speakers, 2 rear/side speakers and 1 subwoofer. You may also see for example 5.2.4 which have 2 subwoofers and 4 effects speakers (like 4 in-ceiling for ATMOS).

12x18 is a medium sized room and 5.1 is the minimum starting point for a surround setup. Whether you want to take that to 7.2.4 (3 fronts, 2 sides, 2 rears; 2 subwoofers; 4 ceiling) depends on your budget and whether you have the space and ability to install that many speakers. A decent 5.1 system can be put together for $2500 US (around £2100) PLUS the cost of the television. That can include a small subwoofer, but if you want to be able to "feel" your seat vibrating, as you say, you will need to upgrade to a much better sub and that alone will add £800 to the cost.

So, my recommendation is to first work out a budget. What is the maximum that you can afford and do you already have a TV or is the TV required as well? How many speakers do you want in the system? Is 5 speakers with a sub enough or do you want the complete surround experience with overhead effects, and do you have the ability to get wiring to all of those speaker locations? With those questions in mind, start a new topic with your budget, room size, and your end goal. People can then begin to make recommendations. You linked to a UK web site so it's good to mention that you are in the UK as speaker options will be different.
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll have a shop around, I didn't realise that a proper system would cost that much. But I guess it will be worth it once it's all set up.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll have a shop around, I didn't realise that a proper system would cost that much. But I guess it will be worth it once it's all set up.
It's possible to do on a smaller budget as well if you're willing to look at the used market. Used receivers may lack some newer features that you need, but used speakers can save a lot of money. All depends upon what is available in your area. £2000 is a rough starting figure, but that also depends on your goals and expectations. Some people are fine with starting with some inexpensive Jamo speakers but the best thing is to visit a stereo shop or big box retailer and listen to a few different brands to see what appeals to you and work form there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis