First build, I'm new into hi-fi audio looking for advice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see an option to disable the other channels but I'm using the 2CH ST.
It's probably more likely in a basic setup menu for speakers....I have an old Sony avr that has a main menu feature that you can enable/disable speakers.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
It's probably more likely in a basic setup menu for speakers....I have an old Sony avr that has a main menu feature that you can enable/disable speakers.
I'm only able to switch between Small and Large for those channels no option to disable.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Thanks!! it works!

What are your thoughts on the sub recommendation? @shadyJ recommended the Monolith M-10 which I can buy from Amazon (that's a plus) and it's at a good price the only thing that worries me is the lack of customer reviews compared with the SVS subs for example, what do you think? I'm not buying right now I might wait for a price drop using the Keepa chrome extension.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to beat shadyJ's sub recommendations....you know he's our speaker/sub reviewer here, right? SVS has great customer service, especially if you aren't sure you want to keep something with their round trip shipping/home trial deal, or even a later trade-up situation, altho they're not quite as price competitive as they once were. Monolith offerings have been pretty solid, too. The Hsu he mentioned is good too....

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Hard to beat shadyJ's sub recommendations....you know he's our speaker/sub reviewer here, right? SVS has great customer service, especially if you aren't sure you want to keep something with their round trip shipping/home trial deal, or even a later trade-up situation, altho they're not quite as price competitive as they once were. Monolith offerings have been pretty solid, too. The Hsu he mentioned is good too....
Yea someone mentioned his suggestions are gold hehe, I'm gonna keep an eye on the Monolith then, I'm from Venezuela so returning something is not an option at all. Sadly the Hsu is not offered at Amazon.

P.S. I didn't mean to disrespect @shadyJ suggestions, I'm very thankful for all the support you guys have given me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea someone mentioned his suggestions are gold hehe, I'm gonna keep an eye on the Monolith then, I'm from Venezuela so returning something is not an option at all. Sadly the Hsu is not offered at Amazon.

P.S. I didn't mean to disrespect @shadyJ suggestions, I'm very thankful for all the support you guys have given me.
In Venezuela I'd think your options are very limited compared to the US :) Unless something arrives broken, a sub isn't likely something you'd need to return if you chose any of the ones I mentioned, they're all quite good and more similar than different.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
If you buy a dedicated sub, yes, it would take some strain off the speakers. Better yet, it would take a strain off the Sony amplifier. For a sub in the $700 range, the Monoprice Monolith M-10 is pretty good. However, up your budget by $50, and you can get the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 which is a killer for the price.
I still waiting for a price drop on the M-10 something below $590

But I just saw the M-12 V2 has a massive price drop, right now its $672 not sure if pull the trigger on that one, will I need two subs in the future? or just 1? my room is not that big but I heard you said something about integrating a single sub in a tower speaker system and its cons.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I still waiting for a price drop on the M-10 something below $590

But I just saw the M-12 V2 has a massive price drop, right now its $672 not sure if pull the trigger on that one, will I need two subs in the future? or just 1? my room is not that big but I heard you said something about integrating a single sub in a tower speaker system and its cons.
If you can get the M-12 V2, I strongly recommend you do so. It is an absolutely killer sub for that pricing.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
If you can get the M-12 V2, I strongly recommend you do so. It is an absolutely killer sub for that pricing.
What about the number of subs? you said something about only have 1 sub in a tower speaker system

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What about the number of subs? you said something about only have 1 sub in a tower speaker system
There are a few different approaches you could take. It depends on your system. I don't think I would have advocated only having 1 sub system even with tower speakers if there was an option to have multiple subs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t speak for shady. But I have towers, and would choose them before bookshelves in any medium to large room. I also have three subs, and I don’t believe towers(real ones) only value is bass extension. So my recommendation is at least two competent subs, no matter towers or bookshelves. It’s about smooth response.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Can’t speak for shady. But I have towers, and would choose them before bookshelves in any medium to large room. I also have three subs, and I don’t believe towers(real ones) only value is bass extension. So my recommendation is at least two competent subs, no matter towers or bookshelves. It’s about smooth response.
Can you elaborate on that the smooth response? I'm ignorant of this topic of subs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you elaborate on that the smooth response? I'm ignorant of this topic of subs.
Sure. Basically one of the biggest contributors to quality bass is a smooth frequency response. Meaning there are no severe peaks or valleys in the measured response. If it’s not smooth, certain notes, or frequencies will be more pronounced while others will be lessened.
Here’s a basically flat frequency response showing that for the most part, everything played on this system should sound very even and smooth. These are generated by playing a “sweep” of frequencies starting very low(10hz) and going up to 200hz in this case.

This is another one showing an uneven response. For example look at the green line. That’s right at 50hz and every note, or sound at that frequency will be exaggerated while everything below about 45hz will be very low in comparison.

The biggest advantage of multiple subs is the ability to even the in room response.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Can't buy used, can only buy on Amazon.
May I ask why, Amazon is the epitome of junk buying, Or food for the gullible.
With such a small budget, used / second hand, is really your only choice
Check out AudioMart in your respective country

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
May I ask why, Amazon is the epitome of junk buying, Or food for the gullible.
With such a small budget, used / second hand, is really your only choice
Check out AudioMart in your respective country
If you ever find an used sub in my country it will cost what a new one costs on Amazon or even more, and people here is not honest about repairs or the use they gave them so I prefer to buy new and pay for international shipping.

I did the same with a gas power generator, better brand and specs for a lower price than buying something new here.

Just an example:
Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Last edited:
S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Sure. Basically one of the biggest contributors to quality bass is a smooth frequency response. Meaning there are no severe peaks or valleys in the measured response. If it’s not smooth, certain notes, or frequencies will be more pronounced while others will be lessened.
Here’s a basically flat frequency response showing that for the most part, everything played on this system should sound very even and smooth. These are generated by playing a “sweep” of frequencies starting very low(10hz) and going up to 200hz in this case.

This is another one showing an uneven response. For example look at the green line. That’s right at 50hz and every note, or sound at that frequency will be exaggerated while everything below about 45hz will be very low in comparison.

The biggest advantage of multiple subs is the ability to even the in room response.
And how you calibrate the two subs if using a basic sony STR?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis