First build, I'm new into hi-fi audio looking for advice.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Got it, thanks!!
Should you decide to try bi-amping a speaker which has jumpers between the tweeter and the woofer, make sure that you remove that jumper or you will most likeky blow your amplifiers. Bi-amp this way is a waste of time and money, it only increases power by 3 dB. If the amplifier is not powerful enough, you should get one with a power rating of at least 4 times as much for an appreciable difference.
No, the upper and lower terminals can be bridged at the speaker and you use a single speaker wire.

Do you have an owner's manual to reference? Most speakers with two sets of terminals are capable of "bi-amping" where you use separate amps to power the woofers and the midrange/tweeters. It is most common for the speakers to come shipped with metal bars or speaker wires that connect the upper and lower terminals (positive to positive and negative to negative). You leave the bars in place and connect the speaker wire to either set of terminals.
No, the jumpers would have to be removed if bi-amping was tried, or the OP would blow his amplifiers.

Last edited:
S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Should you decide to try bi-amping a speaker which has jumpers between the tweeter and the woofer, make sure that you remove that jumper or you will most likeky blow your amplifiers. Bi-amp this way is a waste of time and money, it only increases power by 3 dB. If the amplifier is not powerful enough, you should get one with a power rating of at least 4 times as much for an appreciable difference.

No, the jumpers would have to be removed if bi-amping was tried, or the OP would blow his amplifiers.
Should I remove the jumper (if it comes with one) and just connect here and call it a day then?

I'm not gonna try to bi-amp I think my STR doesn't support it, should I leave the connectors bridged and use a single cable then?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Should I remove the jumper (if it comes with one) and just connect here and call it a day then?

View attachment 56887
If you are using one amplifier to drive the speaker, the jumpers have to be used as the amplifier is to be connected to either the two top or the bottom terminal lugs. Jumpers are to be connected White with White, Red with Red.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'll read this when I get home, what's the reason for speakers coming with 4 ports if bi-amping is not worth it?
Marketing for speakers as well as avrs for the most part. Some speaker designers will tell you they see no need for such bi-wiring/bi-amping terminals but due to marketing pressures they find it a cheap way to stay in the market so to speak. Seems many consumers think it will "double" the power (so verdinut isn't quite right that it's a 3dB advantage, as that would be doubling the power) but it doesn't quite work that way for the speaker itself due the general minimal power needed for the upper range part of the speaker and only a slight advantage for the woofer, let alone the power supply limitations of the avr itself. General conclusion is just get a more powerful amp if you need one rather than passive bi-amp. Real bi-amping is active and useful, but more for diy speaker builds/pro use.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The core theoretical benefit for biamping is when you are actually offloading one part of the speaker to a FULLY separate amp, not just a channel on the same power supply. So the ultimate method would be a monoblock for the top and one for the bottom (and then there is the x-over, a whole other story). That's extreme lol, just to illustrate. The two "halves" of the speaker have different reactions with the amps so separating them would allow each to have no interaction from the other even at the power supply level for that channel.

With an AVR, each channel may have a separate "amp channel", but it is drawing from the one single power supply. The load interaction and total power output are limited by this, so the benefit is negligible with an AVR.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
You want to go HDMI in on the receiver so that it can do any digital processing, particularly if you add a sub or surrounds later. If the graphics card outputs audio and video through HDMI (which it should) connect the graphics card to the receiver via HDMI and then the receiver's HDMI out to the projector. Hopefully the projector cable is long enough to reach the receiver.

Do not use the 3.5mm jack to drive any high quality amps or receivers. It's ok for PC speakers, but the audio on PCs is not very good quality unless you get a dedicated sound card. Best to go digital out from the PC and let your receiver's DAC or a dedicated DAC do the digital to analogue conversion. You could get an external DAC and connect that to a USB port for audio, but why introduce more equipment if HDMI will do the job?
So I was thinking about this, that's how the projector is gonna be connected, but what if I also want to use the speakers for my TV? (the TV is also connected to the graphics card) the PC is the source always.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audio would still be routed thru the avr either way, shouldn't be an issue to use for audio....not sure why you're questioning whether the audio would still function....or are you referring to the tv's own speakers?

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
not sure why you're questioning whether the audio would still function...
I don't use the tv's own speakers, I have connected a pc monitor a tv and a projector all to 1 PC.

The AVR only has 1 output which will be used for the projector, I believe that means I won't be able to use the speakers for the TV then?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't use the tv's own speakers, I have connected a pc monitor a tv and a projector all to 1 PC.

The AVR only has 1 output which will be used for the projector, I believe that means I won't be able to use the speakers for the TV then?
The output from the avr is mostly about video, not audio (except with ARC type function of hdmi which would bring back audio from the display/tv/projector's apps). As long as your hdmi into the avr carries both audio and video, should not be an issue for you to use the audio thru the speakers connected to the avr....

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
The output from the avr is mostly about video, not audio (except with ARC type function of hdmi which would bring back audio from the display/tv/projector's apps). As long as your hdmi into the avr carries both audio and video, should not be an issue for you to use the audio thru the speakers connected to the avr....
My guess is that once the HDMI cable is connected to the avr the audio option might show here and I should just select that?

Screenshot_1.jpg

somebody said to let the AVR do the audio processing and not the PC, I'm wondering if in the TV use case the avr will do the processing or will it be the PC, remember the TV will be connected to the PC and not to the output of the AVR, that's for the projector since there's only 1 output port.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't look like that menu indicates your avr as a playback device, is it currently connected? Looks more like on-board audio choices for your pc. When I connect my pc to my avr I have my Denon avr specifically available as an option in sound output settings.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Doesn't look like that menu indicates your avr as a playback device, is it currently connected? Looks more like on-board audio choices for your pc. When I connect my pc to my avr I have my Denon avr specifically available as an option in sound output settings.
It hasn't arrived yet lol, it will take a couple of months to arrive in my country, I'm just planning ahead and overthinking.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My guess is that once the HDMI cable is connected to the avr the audio option might show here and I should just select that?

View attachment 56939

somebody said to let the AVR do the audio processing and not the PC, I'm wondering if in the TV use case the avr will do the processing or will it be the PC, remember the TV will be connected to the PC and not to the output of the AVR, that's for the projector since there's only 1 output port.
If the PC monitor, TV and projector are all connected to the graphics card, you should be ok. Realtek is onboard audio and would output to the PC speaker connections on the back of the PC. Some devices use USB for audio, and I assume you have an Oculus device that is showing up as Rift Audio. NVidia RTX Voice should be the graphics card. The AVR should not care whether you are using the TV or the projector. When set to NVidia, the AVR should receive audio over HDMI and you can either view the image over HDMI from the AVR to the projector, or directly from the graphics card to the TV. If the TV is using VGA, DVI or a display port connection, that is video only and you'll need the AVR for audio, or switch to the PC speakers.

The PC doesn't do any audio processing over HDMI, it should just pass the signal to the AVR. The PC would do audio processing if, say, you had a 4.1 PC speaker setup connected to the speaker jacks or to USB.

Last edited:
S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
If the PC monitor, TV and projector are all connected to the graphics card, you should be ok. Realtek is onboard audio and would output to the PC speaker connections on the back of the PC. Some devices use USB for audio, and I assume you have an Oculus device that is showing up as Rift Audio. NVidia RTX Voice should be the graphics card. The AVR should not care whether you are using the TV or the projector. When set to NVidia, the AVR should receive audio over HDMI and you can either view the image over HDMI from the AVR to the projector, or directly from the graphics card to the TV. If the TV is using VGA, DVI or a display port connection, that is video only and you'll need the AVR for audio, or switch to the PC speakers.

The PC doesn't do any audio processing over HDMI, it should just pass the signal to the AVR. The PC would do audio processing if, say, you had a 4.1 PC speaker setup connected to the speaker jacks or to USB.
Couldn't be more clear, thanks!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Couldn't be more clear, thanks!
I stand corrected. DisplayPort carries audio as well, so if the TV uses DisplayPort or HDMI, then it should receive audio as well if you want to use the TV speakers and not power up the AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

I purchased the Sony STRDH590 today, my room is about 1500 cubic feet. I'm looking for a 2.1 configuration but I don't know what to get, budget is limited since this is my first time.

I like big powerful sound.

I'm thinking about floor standing speakers

Usecase: For movies only, (110" projector screen)

Attached is a pic of my room.

Can someone help me?

Notes: Can't buy used, can only buy on Amazon.
Congrats! First build and you have a 110" Projection Screen + Projector? :D

Most people won't even have a PJ system all their lives.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis