The Jan 6 Commission hearings

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
You should commend her for standing up for democracy at great personal cost. I wish there where more Republicans like her standing up for democracy.
He doesn't care about that.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I thought Faux News censured the Jan 6th hearings. Did their ratings drop or something and loose advertisement income? For surely it can’t be that they’ve had a change of heart to start reporting truthfully and disavow conspiracy theories and lies?
It was during the afternoon with Cavuto and Baier. They did some good analysis. I think though part of it was ratings gained and pressure to broadcast.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Your point about news media coverage and the Fairness Doctrine is excellent. Thanks for bringing that up.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) had, for a long time, required broadcast news on radio & TV to provide equal time for opposing views on political news stories. Despite that Fairness Doctrine, there were right-wing supporters of Nixon who loudly claimed that biased news media, especially The Washington Post & The New York Times, caused his fall from power. (They conveniently ignored that Nixon was certainly going to be impeached and removed from office. He had directly violated the US Constitution, and criminally obstructed investigations into those violations.) Among those right-wingers was, Roger Ailes, a White House aide under Nixon. He later became the director of Faux News, known for it's distinctly unfair and biased programming.

The same anti-news media views were used in an effort to blame Walter Cronkite and CBS News for "losing" the war in Vietnam.

Under Reagan's influence, the FCC ended the Fairness Doctrine, allowing the creation of broadcasters such as Faux News.
The equal time rule is actually separate and a bit different. That rule is about TV and Radio providing equal air time to political candidates. The equal time rule still exists but it doesn't apply to news coverage. The fairness doctrine is about presenting both sides of an issue.

I wasn't aware of the Roger Ailes/Nixon connection. Thanks for that info.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It was during the afternoon with Cavuto and Baier. They did some good analysis. I think though part of it was ratings gained and pressure to broadcast.
Good as this implies that more Americans will be aware what happened. At least they can’t later claim that they didn’t know.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Good as this implies that more Americans will be aware what happened. At least they can’t later claim that they didn’t know.
If I heard correct they're taking two weeks off and reconvening indefinitely. If it gets the word out and prevents Trump winning that's about all I hope.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If I heard correct they're taking two weeks off and reconvening indefinitely. If it gets the word out and prevents Trump winning that's about all I hope.
Trump is not the only threat to democracy as there are a number of smart people in GOP that is in control of their own impulses but otherwise lacks any kind of mortal compass or personal integrity. What Trump has shown them is a viable path forward to autocracy.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
You should commend her for standing up for democracy at great personal cost. I wish there where more Republicans like her standing up for democracy.
The Cheney Clan have always been Neo Cons. Spend and borrow money the country does not have and spike the national debt. Then jump into or start every war we can without understanding the laws of "unintended consequences" with thousands of civilians killed.
The sooner DC sees the back of politicians like this the better.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Those two senators were elected at different times. At least one of them was elected in a special election held in January 2021. Possibly both were, but I don't remember those details. The turn out was different, making the total voter population different than that of the November 2020 election.

You also cannot forget the successful work of Stacey Abrams. She worked hard to get a large turn out of Democratic voters in Georgia for the 2020 election.
I did a quick search on this. It looks like there were two senate members elected by the special election .
Still, where were those 28,000? Certainly not complaining of the outcome, just curious about all those blanks.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The Cheney Clan have always been Neo Cons. Spend and borrow money the country does not have and spike the national debt. Then jump into or start every war we can without understanding the laws of "unintended consequences" with thousands of civilians killed.
Liz too?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Defending democracy is not important to you, got it!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As opposed to the usual republican cons? Like trickle down and the wealthy not being taxed their share? Cheneys certainly aren't wiping out their karma deficit, tho Liz is at least on the right side of this one.

Ps thot I quoted the star wars dude, not 1279435....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well the war old man Cheney started wasn't exactly about defending democracy otoh....
Indeed, but his daughter did take a stand for it at personal cost, so that is commendable. The absolute majority of Republican members of Congress did not.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Indeed, but his daughter did take a stand for it at personal cost, so that is commendable. The absolute majority of Republican members of Congress did not.
LC has been a total POS for a long while.
That she suddenly, somehow, magically found her conscience is borderline remarkable, especially considering her lineage as the daughter of the Dark Lord of CØCKs everywhere. :rolleyes:

Can't help but wonder if she asked the lord of the magic 8-Ball...
1656033370989.png

_or-
1656033429621.png

...for guidance.

o_O

Technically, she has to learn the lesson of D!ck's sins to not be held accountable...

Maybe there is hope, still. :oops:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis