4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, yeah just from the trailer of Spiderhead it doesn't look like anything "new" but with a good cast and a solid director that can be a game changer.

Twister is being remade? Hadn't heard that. I just want the original Twister to get the 4k/Atmos treatment and finally get released. :D

I've only seen about 20 mins of Only the Brave. Now I see why he cast Miles Teller and Jennifer Connelly in Top Gun 2. Haha.
I read that “Twister” was in the works. A remastered version of an old analog film usually never looks or sounds as awesome as a new 6.5-8K digital w/Atmos. So I do hope Kosinski gets to remake Twister. I can imagine ATMOS and bass will sound so awesome with Twister.

But we never know.

“TRON - Ascension“ was also ready to go until those Disney dumbasses pulled the plug when they bought Marvel and Star Wars.

Unlike brainless directors like M-Night, Michael Bay and Patty Jenkins, Kosinski is the real deal. Hopefully with the massive success of Top Gun Maverick (financially and critically), Kosinski will get to direct more movies. And all the top stars will want to be in his movies.

Kosinski has already directed 6 of the biggest movie stars - Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt (upcoming Formula 1), Jennifer Connelly, Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Chris Hemsworth). It’s only a matter of time before he directs Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johansson, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, etc.

Last edited:
B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Wanted to go to theater to see Maverick in IMAX, but for some reason they're only doing it in standard theaters now...ugh. Well I've preordered the 4k blu ray

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wanted to go to theater to see Maverick in IMAX, but for some reason they're only doing it in standard theaters now...ugh. Well I've preordered the 4k blu ray
Kosinski said that the entire TG Maverick movie was captured in full frame IMAX (Sony CineAlta Venice 6K IMAX Digital Camera), so he could show the entire movie on blu-ray as IMAX (1.9:1).

But at theaters, he chose to show only the FLIGHT scenes in IMAX and the rest of the movie (GROUND scenes) in non-IMAX 2.4:1 ratio.

TRON Legacy, Oblivion, Only the Brave, and Spiderhead were all shot using full-frame IMAX Sony CineAlta Venice Digital camera.

The funny thing is, when they show any of his movies in standard theatrical 2.4:1 screens, they have to matte the screen (add the black bars on top and bottom of the screen).

I just checked his movies on blu-ray and they appear to be 2.4:1. So it seems they used matting on all his movies since they are all shot with 1.9:1 ratio. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Spiderhead is getting some pretty bad reviews.
It's a very uncomfortable subject.

For example, how do you feel about a drug that can turn a heterosexual person into a homosexual person?

Or turn a normal person into a murdering psycho?

The setting takes place inside the Spiderhead facility, probably 85% of the screen time is in the testing center where they test the subjects.

If the director were Michael Bay, M-Night or Patty Jenkins, I wouldn't even attempt to watch something like this. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I read that “Twister” was in the works. A remastered version of an old analog film usually never looks or sounds as awesome as a new 6.5-8K digital w/Atmos. So I do hope Kosinski gets to remake Twister. I can imagine ATMOS and bass will sound so awesome with Twister.

But we never know.

“TRON - Ascension“ was also ready to go until those Disney dumbasses pulled the plug when they bought Marvel and Star Wars.

Unlike brainless directors like M-Night, Michael Bay and Patty Jenkins, Kosinski is the real deal. Hopefully with the massive success of Top Gun Maverick (financially and critically), Kosinski will get to direct more movies. And all the top stars will want to be in his movies.

Kosinski has already directed 6 of the biggest movie stars - Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt (upcoming Formula 1), Jennifer Connelly, Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Chris Hemsworth). It’s only a matter of time before he directs Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johansson, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, etc.
A company in Germany released Twister with an Atmos mix. I've read it's really good.

I do hope another Tron movie gets made. Though only downside would be if JK didn't direct and Daft Punk is no longer a group. That Tron soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks in a very long time.

I think Michael Bay can do good movies. 13 Hours was really good. But he had a script and I think he actually spent time on it. Patty Jenkins is just not good. She was living off her success with the movie Monster. And I think Wonder Woman is very overrated. It's not bad but it's definitely not amazing either. I gave it a 7/10. It was enjoyable and entertaining. Then we all know what happened with the second one. Flop!

I think it's safe to say JK will be getting more work (if he wants it) now that Top Gun 2 is on its way to the billion dollar club. Tom Cruise loves working with him. So I see more combinations with them in the future.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A company in Germany released Twister with an Atmos mix. I've read it's really good.

I do hope another Tron movie gets made. Though only downside would be if JK didn't direct and Daft Punk is no longer a group. That Tron soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks in a very long time.

I think Michael Bay can do good movies. 13 Hours was really good. But he had a script and I think he actually spent time on it. Patty Jenkins is just not good. She was living off her success with the movie Monster. And I think Wonder Woman is very overrated. It's not bad but it's definitely not amazing either. I gave it a 7/10. It was enjoyable and entertaining. Then we all know what happened with the second one. Flop!

I think it's safe to say JK will be getting more work (if he wants it) now that Top Gun 2 is on its way to the billion dollar club. Tom Cruise loves working with him. So I see more combinations with them in the future.
M-Bay has done A FEW movies that I like - 13 Hours, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon. But he has a lot more TERRIBLE movies than good movies. So it's a hit vs miss with M-Bay.

TRON Legacy made about $400 Million, Oblivion made about $300 million, and now Top Gun Maverick will end up making over $1 billion. :D

Formula 1 (Brad Pitt) will probably make $500 - $600 million.

If J-Kosinski gets to do Twister, it will likely make $1 billion.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
M-Bay has done A FEW movies that I like - 13 Hours, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon. But he has a lot more TERRIBLE movies than good movies. So it's a hit vs miss with M-Bay.

TRON Legacy made about $400 Million, Oblivion made about $300 million, and now Top Gun Maverick will end up making over $1 billion. :D

Formula 1 (Brad Pitt) will probably make $500 - $600 million.

If J-Kosinski gets to do Twister, it will likely make $1 billion.
Hahaha, well I like your enthusiasm for a possible Twister remake and it making $1 billion! :p

Movies regarding racing don't particularly do that well. So $500+ million might be a stretch. I'm thinking between $100-$300 globally. If it hits $400 I'd be totally surprised.

I like JP but do you think if Spiderhead was a movie in theaters and not Netflix, how do you think it would do? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha, well I like your enthusiasm for a possible Twister remake and it making $1 billion! :p

Movies regarding racing don't particularly do that well. So $500+ million might be a stretch. I'm thinking between $100-$300 globally. If it hits $400 I'd be totally surprised.

I like JP but do you think if Spiderhead was a movie in theaters and not Netflix, how do you think it would do? :D
Spiderhead has a weak topic, not the blockbuster type of topics. So it would not do well. Definitely made for TV movie.

The bigger question is, would any other directors do any better than Kosinski for Spiderhead given the same budget and all that? And I would say hells no.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw Dr. Strange 2.

PQ is awesome (8K Panavision DXL2).

SQ is excellent- some nice Atmos sound effects.

Story? I am disappointed. I think the plot is extremely weak. Some dumb stuffs in this movie. I was doing face-palms throughout the movie. Heck, Spiderhead probably has a better plot. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I just saw Dr. Strange 2.

PQ is awesome (8K Panavision DXL2).

SQ is excellent- some nice Atmos sound effects.

Story? I am disappointed. I think the plot is extremely weak. Some dumb stuffs in this movie. I was doing face-palms throughout the movie. Heck, Spiderhead probably has a better plot. :D
Hahaha you crazy! Dr. strange 2 was great! It’s a Sam Rami movie. If people aren’t familiar with his style they probably aren’t going to enjoy it as much. There were tons of Rami staples in the movie. Since this movie was darker and a little crazier, Rami was a great choice for director. :D

Also, Disney did their Disney thing and edited his movie to shorten it. Supposedly Rami’s cut has about 30 or more mins. So some people are calling for the “Rami cut” to be released.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha you crazy! Dr. strange 2 was great! It’s a Sam Rami movie. If people aren’t familiar with his style they probably aren’t going to enjoy it as much. There were tons of Rami staples in the movie. Since this movie was darker and a little crazier, Rami was a great choice for director. :D

Also, Disney did their Disney thing and edited his movie to shorten it. Supposedly Rami’s cut has about 30 or more mins. So some people are calling for the “Rami cut” to be released.
I love his Spider-Man trilogy, especially Spider-Man 1 & 2. But Spider-Man 3 is not as good as 1 & 2.

Dr. Strange 2 is on par with Spider-Man 3.

The "I love my 2 kids - that I NEVER HAD - so I'm willing to KILL EVERYONE for the 2 kids I NEVER HAD" is weak and deserves a face-palm. :D

Turning an Avenger superhero into a super-villain who kills everyone is not cool. What's next? Thor is gonna become a super-villain?

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I love his Spider-Man trilogy, especially Spider-Man 1 & 2. But Spider-Man 3 is not as good as 1 & 2.

Dr. Strange 2 is on par with Spider-Man 3.

The "I love my 2 kids - that I NEVER HAD - so I'm willing to KILL EVERYONE for the 2 kids I NEVER HAD" is weak and deserves a face-palm. :D

It's about as weak as the BvS "Your mother's and my mother's names are both MARTHA" plot. :D

Turning an Avenger superhero into a super-villain who kills everyone is not cool. What's next? Thor is gonna become a super-villain?
Hahahaha. Dr. Strange 2 is nowhere near Spiderman 3 quality. Hahaha not even close. Dr. Strange 2 is middle of the pack for Marvel movies. I think I gave it an 8/10. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch it again on 4k physical disc.

Remember, they're pulling things from the comics, so if Wanda said or did those things in the comics, that would be on the comic writers, not the director who is just using the source material. Plus, the events are taking place after the show Wanda vision. So very similar themes like in Wanda vision. We all knew she was going to go bat poop crazy and destroy stuff.

Even though it's a Dr. Strange movie, i'd say Wanda has at least 50% screen time. At some points throughout I thought it was a Wanda movie.

Plus Dr. Strange 2 has now made over $900 million and could potentially hit $1 billion. The first Dr. Strange movie "only" brought in $677 million globally. And keep in mind China is not even showing Dr. Strange 2. That country alone would've added another $300 million to the pot. So, Dr. Strange 2 has definitely been well received. No Marvel movie is "perfect" and each has their own cheesy dialogue moments. But overall, the movie was really good and was a great addition to the Marvel universe of movies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahahaha. Dr. Strange 2 is nowhere near Spiderman 3 quality. Hahaha not even close. Dr. Strange 2 is middle of the pack for Marvel movies. I think I gave it an 8/10. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch it again on 4k physical disc.

Remember, they're pulling things from the comics, so if Wanda said or did those things in the comics, that would be on the comic writers, not the director who is just using the source material. Plus, the events are taking place after the show Wanda vision. So very similar themes like in Wanda vision. We all knew she was going to go bat poop crazy and destroy stuff.

Even though it's a Dr. Strange movie, i'd say Wanda has at least 50% screen time. At some points throughout I thought it was a Wanda movie.

Plus Dr. Strange 2 has now made over $900 million and could potentially hit $1 billion. The first Dr. Strange movie "only" brought in $677 million globally. And keep in mind China is not even showing Dr. Strange 2. That country alone would've added another $300 million to the pot. So, Dr. Strange 2 has definitely been well received. No Marvel movie is "perfect" and each has their own cheesy dialogue moments. But overall, the movie was really good and was a great addition to the Marvel universe of movies.
Yeah, I would D-Strange-2 is typical Marvel, which means it makes a ton of money with a ton of plot holes. I am usually disappointed with Marvel movies with a few exceptions (Dark Phoenix, the Wolverine movies, Captain Marvel, a few newer X-Men movies). :D

I read the reviews of D-Strange2 on IMDB - there are a lot of negative reviews that I agree with. :D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
X-men movies were mostly separate from "Marvel" as we know it, so they don't all have the "Marvel Formula" storylines.

I forgot about it because I had seen it before, but went to lunch the other day and noticed Dolby Labs is 2 blocks from my office :) Saw a girl at lunch near there wearing a Dolby Audio sweater.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
X-men movies were mostly separate from "Marvel" as we know it, so they don't all have the "Marvel Formula" storylines.

I forgot about it because I had seen it before, but went to lunch the other day and noticed Dolby Labs is 2 blocks from my office :) Saw a girl at lunch near there wearing a Dolby Audio sweater.
You should ask her what she does at Dolby Labs. Could be interesting. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Will be watching the new 4k transfer of Heat this weekend. One of the most badass movies of all time. And the new Sonic 2 4k. I've heard Sonic 2 has a ton of really good bass. Looking forward to both of them! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw "Prey 2022" - the new Predator movie.

PQ: 4K looks Excellent, shot with the 3K Arri Alexa Digital Camera, Mastered in 4K Digital.
SQ: Mixed for ATMOS. Pretty good, there are some good ATMOS sounds.

Story: Pretty good, but I didn't like it as much as the 2010 "Predators" with Adrien Brody, Alice Braga. I think Acting is very subpar, bad even when compared to the original and other sequels, absolutely not even close to the caliber of actors in ”Predators 2010”.

"Predators 2010" also has excellent PQ as it was shot using the Panavision Genesis 2K digital camera.

In terms of ACTING, I don’t think any Predator movies can beat ”Predators 2010”:
1. Adrien Brody (Oscars Best Actor - winner)
2. Mahershala Ali (Oscars Best Supporting Actor - winner twice - 2017 and 2019)
3. Lawrence Fishburne (Oscars Best Actor -nominated)
4. Alice Braga (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
5. Topher Grace (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
6. Walton Goggins (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
7. Danny Trejo (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I saw "Prey 2022" - the new Predator movie.

PQ: 4K looks Excellent, shot with the 3K Arri Alexa Digital Camera.
SQ: Pretty good, there are some good ATMOS sounds.

Story: Pretty good, but I didn't like it as much as the 2010 "Predators" with Adrien Brody, Alice Braga.

"Predators 2010" also has excellent PQ as it was shot using the Panavision Genesis 2K digital camera.

Nothing beats the original Predator with Arnold in terms of story, but at least both Predators and Prey have much better PQ than the orignal. :D
Ummmmm…….
Pretty sure Hulu only supports 2.0 and 5.1. Please correct me, as I’d love to rewatch Prey in Atmos. I watched in 5.1+DTSnx and it was very very good. Early in the film(trying not to spoil)I get a tomahawk just barely above, and next to my head. It was great, and followed by other great stuff.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ummmmm…….
Pretty sure Hulu only supports 2.0 and 5.1. Please correct me, as I’d love to rewatch Prey in Atmos. I watched in 5.1+DTSnx and it was very very good. Early in the film(trying not to spoil)I get a tomahawk just barely above, and next to my head. It was great, and followed by other great stuff.
Maybe I didn’t watch it from Hulu. Maybe it was from the UK Disney+. :D

You can see the "Atmos" as the source on bottom left corner display.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis