4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I do like “The Rock”, so I guess Bay isn’t all worthless. But that movie is too old (1996) and analog to have awesome PQ compared to “Ambulance” and “Moonfall”.

When you have a 150” screen or larger with a 5K+ Lumen PJ, only movies shot using 4-8K digital cameras will do. :cool:

Now for SMALL screens - like less than 150” :D and/or PJ under 5K-lumen, analog and older movies may be okay.

For so many years I only had a 120” screen with dim PJ‘s and I never had this problem. But now with a 150” screen and a 6,000-lumen PJ, it’s a problem that only 4-8K digital cameras can solve. :D

It’s like having a great audio system - the great songs sound amazing, but the great audio system also magnifies all the flaws in poor quality songs.

When you have a great high-lumen PJ and big screen, the great videos look awesome, but the poorer quality videos look like crap and just excruciating to see.
I have a 110" screen. 35mm 4k movies look very good on my screen.

Though, once I can hopefully get a 180-250" screen for my next theater I'll have to make sure my Christie Griffyn is calibrated to get the perfect picture. So those 35mm 4k films looks amazing! :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, I think that's why Bay was brought on board....hahaha Joke of a script and gave it the Bay treatment.

The MB classic The Rock is one movie I would love to get the 4k Atmos treatment. I love that movie.
I hated that movie even from the trailer. I already knew there was a 90% chance of me not watching it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hated that movie even from the trailer. I already knew there was a 90% chance of me not watching it.
I wasn’t even gonna watch “Ambulance” until @Movie2099 made the guarantee. Seriously if this movie weren’t shot using 6-8K digital RED cameras, there was zero chance I was gonna watch it. :D

Premise: A million cop cars and choppers chasing and shooting ONE FAT A$$ AMBULANCE. :eek:

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I wasn’t even gonna watch “Ambulance” until @Movie2099 made the guarantee. Seriously if this movie weren’t shot using 6-8K digital RED cameras, there was zero chance I was gonna watch it. :D

Premise: A million cop cars and choppers chasing and shooting ONE FAT A$$ AMBULANCE. :eek:
Hahaha! Two of the best looking and best sounding movies on 4K were two movies that tanked in theaters! Moonfall and Ambulance! They know the actual story sucks but they’ll win over the physical media lovers with PQ and SQ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha! Two of the best looking and best sounding movies on 4K were two movies that tanked in theaters! Moonfall and Ambulance! They know the actual story sucks but they’ll win over the physical media lovers with PQ and SQ.
Oh no. After you actually watch “Moonfall”, you will agree with me that it is 100% better than “Ambulance”.

1st, with space Sci-Fi, we give them a lot more slack.

2nd, Moonfall actually deals with the topic of GRAVITATIONAL FORCE, which is pretty smart physics.

3rd, it deals with the topic of “origin of humanity” and maybe even time-space-continuum, which is a lot more interesting than some ambulance chase.

4th, it deals of Alien encounter and apocalypse, which again are a lot more interesting than some ambulance chase.

5th, name me one OTHER movie that has EVER talked about the Moon being a MEGASTRUCTURE?

How many bank-robberies and chase scenes have we seen? Oh, let’s change it up and make it an ugly ambulance this time!

6th, and most importantly, it deals with HUMAN REDEMPTION. We screw up in life. We redeem ourselves. We have HEART.

Now, there are some things people will have problems with. And just like life itself, it’s not even close to being perfect. But it has HEART.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh no. After you actually watch “Moonfall”, you will agree with me that it is 100% better than “Ambulance”.

1st, with space Sci-Fi, we give them a lot more slack.

2nd, Moonfall actually deals with the topic of GRAVITATIONAL FORCE, which is pretty smart physics.

3rd, it deals with the topic of “origin of humanity” and maybe even time-space-continuum, which is a lot more interesting than some ambulance chase.

4th, it deals of Alien encounter and apocalypse, which again are a lot more interesting than some ambulance chase.

5th, name me one OTHER movie that has EVER talked about the Moon being a MEGASTRUCTURE?

How many bank-robberies and chase scenes have we seen? Oh, let’s change it up and make it an ugly ambulance this time!

6th, and most importantly, it deals with HUMAN REDEMPTION. We screw up in life. We redeem ourselves. We have HEART.

Now, there are some things people will have problems with. And just like life itself, it’s not even close to being perfect. But it has HEART.
Hahaha, I think I'm really going to like Ambulance!

Your points listed above are good. You're not wrong.

For your 5th point, I'm shooting from the hip, but didn't Independence Day 2 have a Megastructure on the Moon? That movie was so bad I wasn't really paying attention.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha, I think I'm really going to like Ambulance!

Your points listed above are good. You're not wrong.

For your 5th point, I'm shooting from the hip, but didn't Independence Day 2 have a Megastructure on the Moon? That movie was so bad I wasn't really paying attention.
I don't recall ID2 talking much about the moon - mainly about some aliens drilling a hole in the earth.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Morbius 2022, 4K, ATMOS.

Okay, so this movie is extremely stupid. The writing is bad, directing is bad. Just bad.

But on the bright side, the PQ is superb - shot using the 6.5K resolution digital camera Arri Alexa 65 - and the SQ is excellent - ATMOS was very nice.

So another dumbass movie with awesome PQ and SQ, kind of like "Ambulance", except I like vampires better than cops, robbers and ambulance. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Morbius 2022, 4K, ATMOS.

Okay, so this movie is extremely stupid. The writing is bad, directing is bad. Just bad.

But on the bright side, the PQ is superb - shot using the 6.5K resolution digital camera Arri Alexa 65 - and the SQ is excellent - ATMOS was very nice.

So another dumbass movie with awesome PQ and SQ, kind of like "Ambulance", except I like vampires better than cops, robbers and ambulance. :D
I want to see it. Even with terrible reviews, I'll still check it out.

Will be watching Ambulance this Friday! Can't wait! The hype is real! Demo worthy :p :cool::D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want to see it. Even with terrible reviews, I'll still check it out.

Will be watching Ambulance this Friday! Can't wait! The hype is real! Demo worthy :p :cool::D
Well, "Ambulance" can't be any worse than what everyone has already said about it, so you don't have any problems of great expectations.

You already know it's extremely stupid, so you're just watching it for the PQ/SQ.

Let's see if that is "enough" for you to "like" it after watching. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well, "Ambulance" can't be any worse than what everyone has already said about it, so you don't have any problems of great expectations.

You already know it's extremely stupid, so you're just watching it for the PQ/SQ.

Let's see if that is "enough" for you to "like" it after watching. :D
I think I've gotten used to crappy Michael Bay movies. I really think he did this movie as a fun project. I do like Jake G. as an actor so that makes me want to watch it as well. You are right though, the PQ/SQ is the main driving force behind me purchasing this 4k. It's a total turn your brain off popcorn flick. I'm sure the wife will be yelling at me to "turn it down!" many times throughout the movie. :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched Ambulance last night. I’m giving it a 6/10. If you want over the top Michael Bay this is it. Yes, overall story is very weak and tons of plot holes and almost no backstory. Once it starts it doesn’t stop. But action is top notch. SQ and PQ are very, very good.

I read in the trivia that Michael Bay wanted to do something fast. As in a movie that wouldn’t take long to make. So that clearly shows with Ambulance. Jake G is great in this movie. He brings some comedic moments with his dialogue. Bay throws in some Easter eggs from his past movies. So that was cool.

if you want a true summer action popcorn flick that involves zero thinking, Ambulance is that movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Ambulance last night. I’m giving it a 6/10. If you want over the top Michael Bay this is it. Yes, overall story is very weak and tons of plot holes and almost no backstory. Once it starts it doesn’t stop. But action is top notch. SQ and PQ are very, very good.

I read in the trivia that Michael Bay wanted to do something fast. As in a movie that wouldn’t take long to make. So that clearly shows with Ambulance. Jake G is great in this movie. He brings some comedic moments with his dialogue. Bay throws in some Easter eggs from his past movies. So that was cool.

if you want a true summer action popcorn flick that involves zero thinking, Ambulance is that movie.

In contrast to Bay is Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy, Oblivion, Top Gun Maverick), who seems to have some brains. :D

I just saw Kosinski‘s new Netflix sci-fi movie called “Spiderhead”. It’s not all original, but I can tell Joseph Kosinski is not like Bay. It’s 100% fictional, as are all of his movies, but still “believable” at the same time. If there are plot holes in his movies, they are probably few and minor.

In addition, all of his movies have awesome picture quality (Spiderhead is shot with the 6.5K Sony CineAlta) and excellent Dolby ATMOS.

I can’t wait to see ”Top Gun Maverick”.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
In contrast to Bay is Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy, Oblivion, Top Gun Maverick), who seems to have some brains. :D

I just saw Kosinski‘s new Netflix sci-fi movie called “Spiderhead”. It’s not all original, but I can tell Joseph Kosinski is not like Bay. It’s 100% fictional, as are all of his movies, but still “believable” at the same time. If there are plot holes in his movies, they are probably few and minor.

In addition, all of his movies have awesome picture quality (Spiderhead is shot with the 6.5K Sony CineAlta) and excellent Dolby ATMOS.

I can’t wait to see ”Top Gun Maverick”.
Top Gun Maverick was awesome! 9/10! Easily. Can’t wait for 4K physical disc.

I love Joseph K. Movies. For not having a huge resume, the movies he’s done have been very good.
I’m interested in this Spiderhead. I might have to check it out in the next couple of weeks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Top Gun Maverick was awesome! 9/10! Easily. Can’t wait for 4K physical disc.

I love Joseph K. Movies. For not having a huge resume, the movies he’s done have been very good.
I’m interested in this Spiderhead. I might have to check it out in the next couple of weeks.
I am re-watching Kosinsli's "Only the Brave" - now that I realize it's his movie. :D

"Only the Brave" is a sad story, which I normally avoid. But it is so good.

As for “Spiderhead“, it’s a weak short story - not much to explore. But Kosinski took it and did good job making it better than it should have been. The likes of Michael Bay would have turned something that weak into something insufferable.

Spiderhead reminds me of my high-school Speech/debate class. Each person is given a case to defend for debate. If you are unlucky, are given a WEAKASS case to defend. So you do the best you can with what you’re given and still put up a good fight even though there is no way you can win the debate. :D

Spiderhead is like that weakass case that you have to defend. But I think Kosinski did a good job with what was given. :D

Looking forward to future Kosinski movies: Formula 1, Twister (remake). I wanna watch every movie Kosinski makes. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am re-watching Kosinsli's "Only the Brave" - now that I realize it's his movie. :D

"Only the Brave" is a sad story, which I normally avoid. But it is so good.

As for “Spiderhead“, it’s a weak short story - not much to explore. But Kosinski took it and did good job making it better than it should have been. The likes of Michael Bay would have turned something that weak into something insufferable.

Spiderhead reminds me of my high-school Speech/debate class. Each person is given a case to defend for debate. If you are unlucky, are given a WEAKASS case to defend. So you do the best you can with what you’re given and still put up a good fight even though there is no way you can win the debate. :D

Spiderhead is like that weakass case that you have to defend. But I think Kosinski did a good job with what was given. :D

Looking forward to future Kosinski movies: Formula 1, Twister (remake). I wanna watch every movie Kosinski makes. :D
Haha, yeah just from the trailer of Spiderhead it doesn't look like anything "new" but with a good cast and a solid director that can be a game changer.

Twister is being remade? Hadn't heard that. I just want the original Twister to get the 4k/Atmos treatment and finally get released. :D

I've only seen about 20 mins of Only the Brave. Now I see why he cast Miles Teller and Jennifer Connelly in Top Gun 2. Haha.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis