Two New Dual THX Monolith Subs BIG Bada Boom!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting to compare the two. The FV25HP has more mid-bass output, as I would have expected from its more sensitive drivers. It also has more infrasonic output below 16Hz since its tuned deeper. In general, the M215 does surpass it in deep bass at 40Hz and below. The M215 also has lower distortion at high output levels, but the distortion of either one is too low to matter.
Without measurements, how can you tell that the M215 has lower distortion levels?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Without measurements, how can you tell that the M215 has lower distortion levels?
You can use the THX 15" Ultra measurements. All the M-215 is that x2. It's easy to extrapolate with that particular sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I find the group delay measurements especially interesting.

6355cd80-73e6-11e8-ada9-7326e9febd60.jpg

image (13).jpeg

The Monolith shows superior group delay despite Rhythmik's much vaunted servo tech. Not that the FV25 is bad. It's more than acceptable. Inaudible for human hearing, but the Mono THX 15" is still just a little bit better through the deepest frequencies, staying below 1 cycle for the entire operating range.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

View attachment 55022

View attachment 55021

The Monolith shows superior group delay despite Rhythmik's much vaunted servo tech. Not that the FV25 is bad. It's more than acceptable. Inaudible for human hearing, but the Mono THX 15" is still just a little bit better through the deepest frequencies, staying below 1 cycle for the entire operating range.
I am not sure how Monolith does it, but they manage to keep group delay under a cycle at port tuning, which almost defies how ports work as I understand them. Port output should always lag at least one cycle behind woofer output. My guess is that they are using DSP to alter the phase of the input signal around port tuning to compensate for the port delay somehow. Obviously, this wouldn't be possible on an analog amplifier.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 55022

View attachment 55021

The much vaunted servo tech is to protect it from being over driven and not to control group delay. And since Rythmik keeps everything in the analog domain, there is no DSP control that can be used to lower it as Shady theorized for the Monolith. I also dont see any value driving the group delay further into inaudbility as long as it remains inaudible.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The much vaunted servo tech is to protect it from being over driven and not to control group delay. And since Rythmik keeps everything in the analog domain, there is no DSP control that can be used to lower it as Shady theorized for the Monolith.
Ah, see I learned something. I always thought the servo tech helped reduce group delay too. It's been a while since I've read up on it.

Hi -Fi Haven

Hi -Fi Haven

Audioholic Intern
Man both of those are awesome. Awesome price tags too. With their vertical design the 10 inch would be great for my smaller room.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Man, my PB 2000 is enough in my 716 cubic foot room, but I really want one of these. I'm pretty sure I'd vomit at full noise, and that sounds badass . Pity I'm in New Zealand.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Save your breath, this person doesn't know that they are talking about. He still thinks expensive cables make a difference. Disqualified for that alone.
TLS Guy told me to ignore him as he is more wrong than right.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Man, my PB 2000 is enough in my 716 cubic foot room, but I really want one of these. I'm pretty sure I'd vomit at full noise, and that sounds badass . Pity I'm in New Zealand.
There's never enough.... same issue here, they don't have all these available over here in Norway :confused:

500Homeruns

Audiophyte
Is it true that the M-210 and M-212 have the same dimensions (LxWxH)?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Subwoofers are like these pills against greediness... we just want more
I got to pharmacy to get pills against greediness and I just want MORE, MORE, MORE, MORE :D

Jokes asides, I guess nothing beats lots of cone area in the subwoofers :cool:
I am thinking further down the road for me there will be massive cone area, not only for subwoofer but also midbass up to ... say 300 Hz

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Subwoofers are like these pills against greediness... we just want more
I got to pharmacy to get pills against greediness and I just want MORE, MORE, MORE, MORE :D

Jokes asides, I guess nothing beats lots of cone area in the subwoofers :cool:
The deep bass in my home office that has two smallish Genelec monitors and a smallish ported Genelec 10" subwoofer beats the HT in my living room using two SVS SB-3000 sealed subwoofers.

Both systems are calibrated (Genelec GLM "vs" Audyssey XT32) but sometimes one just have to deal with the cards given i.e. possible placements of MLP and the rest.

Below is an example of what I tested with.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The deep bass in my home office that has two smallish Genelec monitors and a smallish ported Genelec 10" subwoofer beats the HT in my living room using two SVS SB-3000 sealed subwoofers.

Both systems are calibrated (Genelec GLM "vs" Audyssey XT32) but sometimes one just have to deal with the cards given i.e. possible placements of MLP and the rest.

Below is an example of what I tested with.

I still think there is a lot with cone area, I strongly experience that moving more air at the same SPL is more thatn moving less air at the same SPL ...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis