Are These Finds Good Deals?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Found a couple of old timey floor standing mono tube radios for sale. Hundred bucks apiece. They look like old 30's or 40's era radio players but could be newer replica type things. I have no clue but someone here might know an interesting story behind them.

View attachment 52792View attachment 52791

Those look original to me, especially from the back. I love the woodworking on those old sets and have been tempted to try a restoration. Mr Carlson' s Lab on YouTube is a Canadian who specializes in restoring old electronics and he has many full restorations on his channel (they can be quite lengthy). Quite often the tubes are still good and just the capacitors and some resistors need replacing. Some tubes can be hard to find, though, and you want schematics to be able to confirm the part values. Carlson has a real talent for finding schematics and fixing these old things and he happens to have a very pleasant speaking voice that is relaxing to listen too. It's like audio therapy for the vintage electronics minded. :)
Here's an 18 minute look at a 1947 radio:
And for those with lots of time on their hands, over 2 hours on an 84 year old Stromberg-Carlson console similar to those pictured above:

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
These actually look like they might be legit good subs if a little overpriced at $2200/pr, but they retailed $5k apiece new. Knowing who the manufacturer is tho, it's no surprise that Monster Cable was selling something overpriced and the brand itself will turn a lot of folks off. $2200 is at least realistic tho for a pair of 1000 watt 15" subs with furniture grade finish. They're made to be stuck in a corner or either side of an entertainment center. They actually look pretty nice and I read that they use legit good, beefy drivers and are of solid build quality. They weigh 222 lbs apiece. @shadyJ would love them! :p

View attachment 52797

Or get 4 of them, a glass top and make the most awesome coffee table ever!

View attachment 52798

They're actually part of a whole set of 5.1 speakers that include a pair of either 6' or 7' tall line array towers with optional 10" bass modules. "Their Eleganza M-Design" line. I think MSRP for everything was close to like $20k... I didn't know Monster were seriously developing loudspeakers, but not surprised they're way overpriced. What I'm seeing is that they're actually pretty good speakers tho.

View attachment 52800View attachment 52799
Now that would be a badass coffee table if there were 4 of those. Wife might not like it. But those look kind of cool

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This damn thing is still up for sale and taunting me at $1895. That's over a thousand bucks off retail for a PSA TV3612 dual 18" sub pushing 2k watts of amplification.

00I0I_cymYa4oqmZsz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
This damn thing is still up for sale and taunting me at $1895. That's over a thousand bucks off retail for a PSA TV3612 dual 18" sub pushing 2k watts of amplification.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My own ad for my previous Paradigm Studio CC centre. ;) Found a buyer at C$150 within 24 Hrs. Guy near Ottawa is running v2 speakers and wants another matching centre. Another C$42 for shipping. I hooked it up to test it and it sounds better than I remember. Might be the current Audessey settings. Asking prices are typically $175 - $225 for these. I paid $170 and drove 2 hours to get it a few years ago, so $150 seemed reasonable. Close to mint condition.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649811165-paradigm-studio-cc-v2-centre-channel-speaker/

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking at these mystery Elac BS41 speakers ... there is no known history of them in the USA ... they may have started their life oversees ... there was a former Pioneer BS41 model, but that model is history and Pioneer speakers seem to be history ... the speakers looks like they may have a Pioneer type woofer with an Elac tweeter ... they look to weigh pretty good for their size and the price is good
For only $68 for the pair it is really hard to find a better deal ... the bass is really nice and goes low, all in all the tweeter is a little rolled off, but the midrange is flat with no artificial 1 to 2 khz happy bump ... I will take them over the former Pioneer BS21 and BS22 speakers.

81X4zaIdGrS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1645290665695.png

1645290701389.png

1645291031014.png

81X4zaIdGrS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For only $68 for the pair it is really hard to find a better deal ... the bass is really nice and goes low, all in all the tweeter is a little rolled off, but the midrange is flat with no artificial 1 to 2 khz happy bump ... I will take them over the former Pioneer BS21 and BS22 speakers.

View attachment 53948
View attachment 53949
View attachment 53950
View attachment 53951
View attachment 53948
Nice. Elac is a good company and those look like better than bottom barrel budget parts and crossovers. I see they're still available too.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Is that tweet inverted? Looks inverted but could be a trick of light.
Not inverted ,,, the dome is facing out ... they are still warming to room temperature and I will expect the highs to be a little better ... but one thing for sure Elac does not sprinkle hot sauce on the tweeter.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Nice. Elac is a good company and those look like better than bottom barrel budget parts and crossovers. I see they're still available too.
The sells are starting to pick up ... and they are built pretty good ... and the bottom bumper feet are already installed ... and there are high grade banana plugs on the terminal cup ... not sure if Andrew really designed this set or not

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This is the grill found on my Adantes (with the surrounding midrange). I don't have the guts - or desire - to remove it, but man, is the tweeter a good one! I was hoping for an Adante II or Adante Reference before AJ left Elac. Wonder where he is going to land next (he is still mum on the Elac owner's group on FB and he gets asked all the time..).
Adante Tweeter.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is the grill found on my Adantes (with the surrounding midrange). I don't have the guts - or desire - to remove it, but man, is the tweeter a good one! I was hoping for an Adante II or Adante Reference before AJ left Elac. Wonder where he is going to land next (he is still mum on the Elac owner's group on FB and he gets asked all the time..).
View attachment 53954
Concentric design, huh? I think that grille looks pretty cool. Almost spider-webby.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That grill looks opened enough where it should not be interfering much with the sound

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
View attachment 53954
That is cool. Reminds me of the original Star Trek series The Tholian Web episode. Yeah, I'm a TV kid from the 60s

1645305247723.png

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Saw these early this morning...
IMG_19022022_114830_(2200_x_1238_pixel).jpg
IMG_19022022_114802_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg
IMG_19022022_114733_(1125_x_2000_pixel).jpg
IMG_19022022_114701_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg

Got nothing...There was a Samsung 4K tv for $89. Told a guy to snatch it up. He did.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
An oddity found on Japanese eBay I’ve never seen this series before but I’ve seen a lot of different models over there that never see the light of day here in the states too . It seems they have like three markets for different global areas .

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis