Are These Finds Good Deals?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't mind someday getting to compare them to the effect of Allison speakers. Right now I have a pair of One's and a pair of CD-9s and I put them dead center on the side walls. They are so room flexible that by design they can work in that location.

The sound is the closest thing to the spatial quality of headphones I've ever heard from speakers. Do my big expensive monster speakers sound better than the Allison's? Yes. But they don't have that same 3-dimensionality that makes you pause a song and get up trying to figure out "where that odd sound came from" just to realize it was the speakers making your walls disappear.
Had not seen the CD-9 before. That's an interesting design and would love to hear a pair some day.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This looks like an interesting deal. Some older RBH towers, center channel and a powered sub for $400! The towers are some older MC-6CTs and matching center.

00808_iNIzoKeR6Wgz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This looks like an interesting deal. Some older RBH towers, center channel and a powered sub for $400! The towers are some older MC-6CTs and matching center.

send an Email or call ... that is a good deal

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
send an Email or call ... that is a good deal
Sigh. Yeah it really is a pretty decent deal. I just can't justify spending that much just for funzies tho. I almost hate it when I find a decent deal in that price range. If I thought they were an easy resell for some profit that'd sway me a little more but I'd probably just break even at best.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sigh. Yeah it really is a pretty decent deal. I just can't justify spending that much just for funzies tho. I almost hate it when I find a decent deal in that price range. If I thought they were an easy resell for some profit that'd sway me a little more but I'd probably just break even at best.
Me too ... some things I want to go after, but cost and then resale in Knoxville just does not make it really effective

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just found a low hours used crown XLS802 for $300. I dunno a lot about their amps but this seems like a good deal. Right now I'm using a Behringer with a blown channel for my single passive sub, but if the audio gods are kind to me I'll eventually have a second passive sub and would need another amp anyway.

800 wpc into 4 ohms, which is what my sub is...

@lovinthehd, I know you have a couple of Crown amps so you're my go to Crown guy. Whatcha think?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Just found a low hours used crown XLS802 for $300. I dunno a lot about their amps but this seems like a good deal. Right now I'm using a Behringer with a blown channel for my single passive sub, but if the audio gods are kind to me I'll eventually have a second passive sub and would need another amp anyway.

@lovinthehd, I know you have a couple of Crown amps so you're my go to Crown guy. Whatcha think?
Man that unit is clean almost looks unused .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

That's from the original XLS series, not the current DriveCore class D amps, and don't know much about that particular model. Fans could be noisy as a guess....but think if you look around there's a good bit of info out there. Maybe ask AmP how it "sounds" :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's from the original XLS series, not the current DriveCore class D amps, and don't know much about that particular model. Fans could be noisy as a guess....but think if you look around there's a good bit of info out there. Maybe ask AmP how it "sounds" :)
I've found sufficient info to know that it should have plenty of power for two 4 ohm subs and it retailed for ~$730 new. Some buyer comments that the fan noise is pretty minimal when not pushed hard, which I wouldn't be doing. $300 seems okay, but not necessarily exciting I guess. It does look very clean and new tho...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've found sufficient info to know that it should have plenty of power for two 4 ohm subs and it retailed for ~$730 new. Some buyer comments that the fan noise is pretty minimal when not pushed hard, which I wouldn't be doing. $300 seems okay, but not necessarily exciting I guess. It does look very clean and new tho...
I forget, you need dsp or not for that sub?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I forget, you need dsp or not for that sub?
Nah. Well, in that I have a MiniDSP. Plus I have the editor app and rat-b if I really wanna use it for my subs. I'd likely not ever use the amp's dsp.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I bought 4 Polk Audio MC Series 8" (POLKMC80) speakers to use as in ceiling Atmos speakers. They have aimable tweeters, and decent reviews from what I've read online.

Visions electronics has them on sale for boxing day/week here in Canada for 78$ vs their MSRP of 199$ each. I figured for that price, I couldn't go wrong. Even if they aren't amazing speakers, and I don't like them for Atmos, I can use them somewhere else.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I bought 4 Polk Audio MC Series 8" (POLKMC80) speakers to use as in ceiling Atmos speakers. They have aimable tweeters, and decent reviews from what I've read online.

Visions electronics has them on sale for boxing day/week here in Canada for 78$ vs their MSRP of 199$ each. I figured for that price, I couldn't go wrong. Even if they aren't amazing speakers, and I don't like them for Atmos, I can use them somewhere else.

I grabbed 4 Polk MC60s in 2018 for my Atmos setup, and they've been fine. I wouldn't expect anything less from these. Looks like a great deal.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

For the money it's a decent amp. On the lower end of the Crown spectrum, but still an excellent amp. It's heavy as hell though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the money it's a decent amp. On the lower end of the Crown spectrum, but still an excellent amp. It's heavy as hell though.
Certainly heavier than the current XLS series but 16.1 kg isn't all that bad....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was just checking out the XLS802 manual. It's rated 800 wpc into 2 ohm, 500 wpc into 4 ohm (Crown spec, 1kHz, .5% THD) and no bridge rating either....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

You should be fine

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Was just checking out the XLS802 manual. It's rated 800 wpc into 2 ohm, 500 wpc into 4 ohm (Crown spec, 1kHz, .5% THD) and no bridge rating either....
I'm not too impressed with its low frequency response which is quoted by Crown starting at 22Hz. What is the response at 15Hz?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not too impressed with its low frequency response which is quoted by Crown starting at 22Hz. What is the response at 15Hz? I'm sure @lovinthehd would be able to give you more info on the newer XLS series amps which he owns. I understand that he is using at least one with his subs.
Ah, see that on the brochure page for a 1 watt output +0,-1 dB. I imagine it rolls off a bit, as does the new series as well according to what Crown told me when I inquired. I currently have three on sub duties. Can't tell you any more than what you might see in the measurments at ASR....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis