Are These Finds Good Deals?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well these look interesting...
Will need a subwoofer ... and they sold for $1000 a pair, with the stands they were $1300 ... someone sold a pair in the past for around $330 for the speakers ... this current seller is giving them 6 out of 10 based on the scratches ... someone needs to talk the seller down, but they could make some good speakers for somebody

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well these look interesting...
Those do look very interesting, but maybe a little overpriced. Interesting enough for me to look 'em up and read about 'em tho. They retailed for $1k new, $1300 with matching stands. I haven't pinned down when that was but looks like early or mid 90s. Sealed design with a f3 of about 100 hz it looks like.

Modinffig06.jpg

The review includes a matching sub that looks like is meant to be bought with the speakers as part of the full package. Either way they definitely should be used with a decent sub.

Modinffig08.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Will need a subwoofer ... and they sold for $1000 a pair, with the stands they were $1300 ... someone sold a pair in the past for around $330 for the speakers ... this current seller is giving them 6 out of 10 based on the scratches ... someone needs to talk the seller down, but they could make some good speakers for somebody
You beat me to it!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I agree - as I perused the Stereophile article, it is obvious they were (speakers and sub) were intended to be sold as a set, which would be nice to have...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
No here is something that is VERY interesting to me - B&O Beolab 5. Considering that they retailed for $16K in the early '00s, $6500 seems like a good deal. There is only one pair on sale domestically on HiFi Shark, but that ad is packaged with a B&O TV for $22K, so I cannot really judge the price. *sigh* Time to sell yet another kidney (third this year!)...
Now for the fun part: can anyone tell me what this is from?
1640184314783.png

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
No here is something that is VERY interesting to me - B&O Beolab 5. Considering that they retailed for $16K in the early '00s, $6500 seems like a good deal. There is only one pair on sale domestically on HiFi Shark, but that ad is packaged with a B&O TV for $22K, so I cannot really judge the price. *sigh* Time to sell yet another kidney (third this year!)...
Now for the fun part: can anyone tell me what this is from?
View attachment 52537
I often wonder how people price used gear and 40% of retail seems to be the ballpark figure on a lot of items if in good condition. $6500 would buy one hell of a good new speaker, though. I imagine something omni-directional like the Beolab 5 would be best in a larger open space.

That image looks familiar but you have me stumped. I'd have to cheat to find the reference ;) but let's see if someone else recognizes it.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No here is something that is VERY interesting to me - B&O Beolab 5. Considering that they retailed for $16K in the early '00s, $6500 seems like a good deal
They look to me as a system that would need more than a pair to overall sound good in a room ... but some high level workforce people who may not be a real critical listener could enjoy them.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd get some Ohm Walsh speakers if I was going omnidirectional.

As a bonus, I'd be cool like Harry Bosch.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I often wonder how people price used gear and 40% of retail seems to be the ballpark figure on a lot of items if in good condition. $6500 would buy one hell of a good new speaker, though. I imagine something omni-directional like the Beolab 5 would be best in a larger open space.

That image looks familiar but you have me stumped. I'd have to cheat to find the reference ;) but let's see if someone else recognizes it.
Exactly my thoughts on the price and the fact that you can buy buy some very, very nice new speakers for $6.5k.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

I remember seeing video reviews of the Walsh Tall last year and every one of them was positive. The speaker has an interesting characteristic in that it maintains the centre image when you move around the room, but you need the right kind of surface behind the speakers. Interesting history behind Ohm speakers.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Exactly my thoughts on the price and the fact that you can buy buy some very, very nice new speakers for $6.5k.
As, yes, but built in amplifiers, built in DA converter and built in calibration with extendable peni s microphone?
1640194282995.png

Don't know why I am promoting them as I cannot afford 'em (and certainly don't have the space ATM) but I love the form factor. Anyway, here's a glowing review that talks about the (almost) twenty-year-old tech that is hard to find in speakers today:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking at these mystery Elac BS41 speakers ... there is no known history of them in the USA ... they may have started their life oversees ... there was a former Pioneer BS41 model, but that model is history and Pioneer speakers seem to be history ... the speakers looks like they may have a Pioneer type woofer with an Elac tweeter ... they look to weigh pretty good for their size and the price is good

All in all they will be better than the PHHCSD speakers that I tried for the fun of it since the price came down $100 ... the cabinet is clean and a better finish than the Dayton cheapy speakers, the tweeter is nice and they have some really nice bass which was surprising ... they will make some nice cheap surround speakers or a kids room speaker set. I have owned some older Sony and Pioneer speakers and RadioShack speakers and some Dayton clone speakers that are worse than these.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am looking at these mystery Elac BS41 speakers ... there is no known history of them in the USA ... they may have started their life oversees ... there was a former Pioneer BS41 model, but that model is history and Pioneer speakers seem to be history ... the speakers looks like they may have a Pioneer type woofer with an Elac tweeter ... they look to weigh pretty good for their size and the price is good

All in all they will be better than the PHHCSD speakers that I tried for the fun of it since the price came down $100 ... the cabinet is clean and a better finish than the Dayton cheapy speakers, the tweeter is nice and they have some really nice bass which was surprising ... they will make some nice cheap surround speakers or a kids room speaker set. I have owned some older Sony and Pioneer speakers and RadioShack speakers and some Dayton clone speakers that are worse than these.
I'm curious to see some actual specs. The description says that's a 1" "extended range" tweeter but it looks bigger. Looks about half the size of the 4" woofer.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm curious to see some actual specs. The description says that's a 1" "extended range" tweeter but it looks bigger. Looks about half the size of the 4" woofer.
Specs are hard to find but the diaphragm on the tweeter seems to easily cover that 1 inch part ... the speakers are not listed on Elac USA ... Amazon seems to be an exclusive seller ... someone at Audiokarma has bought them and said that they do have an Elac build quality, but has not given any comments about the sound

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

The new Ohm Walsh Tall series seems to get good reviews. Too bad they are mail order, and you can't listen to them locally.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I remember seeing video reviews of the Walsh Tall last year and every one of them was positive. The speaker has an interesting characteristic in that it maintains the centre image when you move around the room, but you need the right kind of surface behind the speakers. Interesting history behind Ohm speakers.
I wouldn't mind someday getting to compare them to the effect of Allison speakers. Right now I have a pair of One's and a pair of CD-9s and I put them dead center on the side walls. They are so room flexible that by design they can work in that location.

The sound is the closest thing to the spatial quality of headphones I've ever heard from speakers. Do my big expensive monster speakers sound better than the Allison's? Yes. But they don't have that same 3-dimensionality that makes you pause a song and get up trying to figure out "where that odd sound came from" just to realize it was the speakers making your walls disappear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis