Are These Finds Good Deals?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
An oddity found on Japanese eBay I’ve never seen this series before but I’ve seen a lot of different models over there that never see the light of day here in the states too . It seems they have like three markets for different global areas .
Dang that's classy looking! Did you pick it up?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Dang that's classy looking! Did you pick it up?
No I found it on eBay in Japan I’ve never seen this model before thought it was a pretty interesting design . I kind of like the looks of it I think it’s for the Asian market .

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
An oddity found on Japanese eBay I’ve never seen this series before but I’ve seen a lot of different models over there that never see the light of day here in the states too . It seems they have like three markets for different global areas .
They do look nice, but also the tuning may be voiced for the Asian market

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Nice. Elac is a good company and those look like better than bottom barrel budget parts and crossovers. I see they're still available too.
With that tweeter grill removed they have opened up more as far as tweeter volume, some voices and instruments, plus soundstage and imaging ... that grill is staying off ... they need room from the back and side walls as they tend to have some 90 hz bloom ... but these speakers still go low ... they for sure are one of those rare budget finds and are even worth it at $149 retail ... I am surprised that Amazon seems to be still keeping them at $68 for now

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
With that tweeter grill removed they have opened up more as far as tweeter volume, some voices and instruments, plus soundstage and imaging ... that grill is staying off ... they need room from the back and side walls as they tend to have some 90 hz bloom ... but these speakers still go low ... they for sure are one of those rare budget finds and are even worth it at $149 retail ... I am surprised that Amazon seems to be still keeping them at $68 for now
Maybe a airier bright tweeter would be nice? Or does it only need to take off grills to get it bright?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe a airier bright tweeter would be nice? Or does it only need to take off grills to get it bright?
It is better with the Cabinet grill and Tweeter grill off ... it is a mainly neutral speaker that is smooth ... it may or may not be your cup of tea ... the tweeter will be slightly brighter nearfield ... the speaker has good a good midrange ... and some good bass that can challenge the DCM TP160S speaker and needs space from the back and side walls ... All in all one may love or hate the speaker because of personal preference ... I will easily take this speaker over them former Pioneer speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It is better with the Cabinet grill and Tweeter grill off ... it is a mainly neutral speaker that is smooth ... it may or may not be your cup of tea ... the tweeter will be slightly brighter nearfield ... the speaker has good a good midrange ... and some good bass that can challenge the DCM TP160S speaker and needs space from the back and side walls ... All in all one may love or hate the speaker because of personal preference ... I will easily take this speaker over them former Pioneer speakers.
Maybe I'll get them from Amazon and I don't like em I'll return. Like I need another speaker. Just curious.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Saw these early this morning...
View attachment 53962
Personally, I think due primarily to obsolescence, there just isn't a market for used HT receivers.

When I bought my Belles, the guy literally gave me the Marantz he had them hooked up to. Remote and everything. I have yet to use it, because of course I went straight to tubes and I had no intention of having anything more complex than 2.1.

I'd love to find someone to give that amp to. I have no use for it, and it's a shame to let it go to waste.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Personally, I think due primarily to obsolescence, there just isn't a market for used HT receivers.

When I bought my Belles, the guy literally gave me the Marantz he had them hooked up to. Remote and everything. I have yet to use it, because of course I went straight to tubes and I had no intention of having anything more complex than 2.1.

I'd love to find someone to give that amp to. I have no use for it, and it's a shame to let it go to waste.
Yeah, bro post up a photo of that amp. Like Pogre stated more than likely a AH member will be willing to take it off your hands.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I missed a chance to get a pair of RBH 1266-SE's for $100. No, I didn't leave off a zero.

It was on FB Marketplace for a day. But my wife was going through a spell (these COVID days are hard on healthcare workers, if no one's noticed...) and I didn't want to leave her for 3 hours that night to go buy speakers. I think the seller took some time to research what he had, and then pulled them off the market the next day.

Ah well, can't win em all. I did the right thing, but that's the one that got away. :(

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I missed a chance to get a pair of RBH 1266-SE's for $100. No, I didn't leave off a zero.

It was on FB Marketplace for a day. But my wife was going through a spell (these COVID days are hard on healthcare workers, if no one's noticed...) and I didn't want to leave her for 3 hours that night to go buy speakers. I think the seller took some time to research what he had, and then pulled them off the market the next day.

Ah well, can't win em all. I did the right thing, but that's the one that got away. :(
Man I'd love to pickup a pair of those!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
WELL?? :p

I'm telling you right now I might be willing to pay to ship it depending on what it is. What model of Marantz is it? You said it's a receiver right?

*Edit: Hell, my son just moved into his own place and doesn't have a stereo system at all. I have some spare speakers I'm planning to gift to him, and a Marantz receiver to power them would be really nice. So even if I can't use it he definitely could!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe I'll get them from Amazon and I don't like em I'll return. Like I need another speaker. Just curious.
They are what they are good budget friendly speakers ... but something like the JBL Studio 530 speakers are on another level ... so unless you need some audio toys to play with, then no need to rush to buy ... but for the price, these are one of those rare finds, but as in all things audio some will be turned off by them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They are what they are good budget friendly speakers ... but something like the JBL Studio 530 speakers are on another level ... so unless you need some audio toys to play with, then no need to rush to buy ... but for the price, these are one of those rare finds, but as in all things audio some will be turned off by them.
You did put them on level with those budget DCM TP160S books tho. Those were pretty exceptionally good for the price. I still have a pair of those.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You did put them on level with those budget DCM TP160S books tho. Those were pretty exceptionally good for the price. I still have a pair of those.
Nearfield, the Elac will sound more bright in the mid-treble, but when you sit back for regular room listening that brightness tends to disappear. Somewhat rough and edgy and raspy voices will sound more clean on the Elac BS41, like Diana Krall, Nora Jones, and Joan Osbourn ... trumpets and saxaphone will not be forward or edgy or sharp ... but being budget friendly the soundstage will not be so-called big and wide.

Their midrange is more linear over the DCM, and that woofer can hang with the DCM in the bass ... but the treble of the DCM will seem to have more clarity ... for long listening sessions I can listen to the Elac BS41 longer than the DCM TP series and the Sony Core speakers ... and while the Pioneer may sound somewhat more so-call open, the Elac is more cohesive and even to me ... as far as the Bass of the Elac, you can always EQ it down some ... they were made to be in open space from walls and should be toed in some.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think that I have found my happy place with the Elac BS41 speakers ... in my room even with them about 12 inches from the back wall and even more from the side walls, the rear port was a bit too much ... a sock in the port effects it too much ... so I put poly-batten in the rear ports, that way some air can still pass through ... so with that and the tweeter grill removed this is an all around better sounding speaker and some good sounding budget-friendly speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis