Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

R

RobertQ

Audiophyte
One question although this is in the wrong place. I have an older Apple TV that is not 4K. Plan on buying a Sony OLED 80 series. The 4k Apple is on a good deal right now. If I buy that TV will I no longer need the Apple box?
if you use Apple Music, especially Dolby Atmos then ATV makes sense. You also get integration with photos, Siri, etc.Not to mention it can act as HomeKit controller.It all depends if you use some/all of these features.

G

GTISteve

Enthusiast
if you use Apple Music, especially Dolby Atmos then ATV makes sense. You also get integration with photos, Siri, etc.Not to mention it can act as HomeKit controller.It all depends if you use some/all of these features.
Just got mine last week. The remote alone is worth the upgrade. But with the new OLED you got, just gotta have it.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
No, we did not come from the African continent. The earliest indicators of human civilization come from a large submerged landmass (continent perhaps) in the current location of the Indian ocean. This landmass possibly connected Australia, Madagascar and the southern tip of the Indian subcontinent
Hahaha. I suppose that the landmass crumbled and submerged when a local shaman played "Break on Through" by The Doors on paleo-Yamaha with four Monolith 16" THX Ultra.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You better jump on getting your RX-A8A! @3K best price value on the market. Yamaha runs their Adventage line for 10 years. What do you believe the price will be in ten years on the RX-A8A. Your supposed to be good with numbers do the math. Factor in inflation X 10. No brainer in my book. Plus you'll be covered for half a decade. Know what they say you snooze you lose. ;)
Hahaha! You must have worked in telemarketing. :D
I am waiting for this transitional nonsense with boards to wash through and, once the tech is more mature and stable, purchase new gen of CX/MX-A5300.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Hahaha. I suppose that the landmass crumbled and submerged when a local shaman played "Break on Through" by The Doors on paleo-Yamaha with four Monolith 16" THX Ultra.
Anything is possible...A volcano could explode and that molten lava could do a very artistic mold of you, your receiver and your subwoofer when you're listening one fine day.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
No, we did not come from the African continent. The earliest indicators of human civilization come from a large submerged landmass (continent perhaps) in the current location of the Indian ocean. This landmass possibly connected Australia, Madagascar and the southern tip of the Indian subcontinent.
Shall we do myth-busting or was it a joke? I am confused.
The aboriginal population of Australia have a history going back at least 40,000 years. When this landmass sunk, it is possible that the first human migrated to Australia, the Indian subcontinent and the island of Madagascar (subsequently into the continent of Africa).
Even more confused :D
Was it Monty Python's intro to paleo-anthropology?

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Shall we do myth-busting or was it a joke? I am confused.

Even more confused :D
If we are "mythbusting", lets start with the myth that everyone sprang from the crack middle of Africa. Can you prove that myth in any manner?

Australian aboriginal tribal traditions speak of such a landmass that started sinking and their subsequent migration into Terra Australis...They are the oldest known human population as is. Tribes in Madagascar have indicated the former existence of such a landmass. Mountain tribes in Cameroon speak of such a landmass that existed in the Indian Ocean where they trace their origins to...etc, etc

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
If we are "mythbusting", lets start with the myth that everyone sprang from the crack middle of Africa. Can you prove that myth in any manner?
Apologies for another side-talk. The curious might appreciate it. Otherwise, ignore it.

I cannot prove anything to you or to anyone else. There is no need for that and prehistoric science does not work like that. It's not physics experiment. It's way more complex, messy and requires a lot of research and thinking in multiple fields. It's really hard. I can try to encourage you to explore available evidence critically, on your own, have open mind and ask questions. I could give you reliable pieces of information upon which known evidence is assessed and complex jigsaw puzzle is put together. The emerging picture, or narrative, is far from perfect, it is not simple either, but we are working hard on it to perfect it.

1. DNA sequencing around the world currently indicates when, where and how up to ~60,000 years ago. We are getting better at exploring this avenue of origin with every year. Beyond ~60,000 years it's currently messy in terms of details of migrations and inter-breading. Still, DNA gives us good, more general trends up to 2-3 millions years ago. Here is one interesting article that explores this messiness and level of certainty. Have a look.

2. Geographical distribution and migrations is as complex too. Apart from DNA analysis, we have both rich and patchy fossil records scattered around the planet, depending on how detailed story we want to tell. We use Carbon C-14 dating for backtracking events by estimating how old bones are. The confidence level of such measurements is ~70% upwards on smaller time scales, up to ~50,000 years back, and less further down the past. Here is another account on early migrations, with some certainties and uncertainties.

In terms of big movements of land mass that you mentioned, "lost continent" between Africa and India, it is estimated that it had happened ~85 million years ago, before dinosaurs were extinct, some ~65 million years ago, and before more complex mammals evolved. Here is some insight.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2119963-long-lost-continent-found-submerged-deep-under-indian-ocean/

If you are familiar with evolutionary biology and animal tree, you will appreciate the following timeline, to give it some perspective:
- the landmass that submerged occurred when simple mammalian species lived, rodents, mice, etc.
- many million years had to pass for more complex mammals to evolve, such as primates (lemurs, etc.), the oldest fossil of which is estimated to be ~47 million years old. This very fossil was famously exhibited around the world's natural history museums a few years ago.
- so called Great Apes family (gorillas, us, orangutans) evolved from primates
- early Hominids split from other Great Apes 7-9 million years ago, which is way before our species, Homo sapiens, evolved on the planet, some ~200,000 years ago, in Africa.
- Aboriginal Australians arrived on the continent 45-55,000 years ago in normal migration fashion, from south each Asia.

Once this occurred, Yamaha finally figured out that Homo enjoys tribal sound of drums and gave us independent bass channels. :D

Last edited:
superman180

superman180

Audioholic
Anxiously waiting for thread to get back on topic. ‍
Come on Gene and crumb of progress or lack there of with final results would be awesome.
Thanks.
Mike.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Anxiously waiting for thread to get back on topic
This is like asking "what else can go wrong?" as you're house is burning down in the middle of an earthquake the day after a tornado came through... ;)

C

chapp

Audioholic
Did anyone translate that "Korean" video to know what those guys were saying about the Yamaha? The video showed up on the You tube app on TV 2 days ago, but I was unable to find the link to it with the computer.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if this is the first time Yamaha had incorporatec fans in their AVR designs. How far down the model run do they use fans and were they used on the previous RX-V RX-A series?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder if this is the first time Yamaha had incorporatec fans in their AVR designs. How far down the model run do they use fans and were they used on the previous RX-V RX-A series?
Didn't realize there where 3 fan's. Sometime today I'm gonna check under my RX-A4A should be able to see if there fans.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I think list most AVR the fans are here for emergency. On my Denon AVC-A1D the fans weren't switching on very often. Only in summer hot days after a long period of use. And the Yamaha seems way cooler.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I think list most AVR the fans are here for emergency. On my Denon AVC-A1D the fans weren't switching on very often. Only in summer hot days after a long period of use. And the Yamaha seems way cooler.
Well, Yamaha has them now, 3 fans in their flagship model. No longer can we Yamaha fanboyz poke fun about the use of fan's. I see you had a Denon, when I went look at Denon's 3700H I came real close to getting that AVR personal I thought it had a really nice sound for music use. I took with me my Diana Krell CD, played around with it for close to a half hour. The owner at the independent shop closed the doors to his show room that was setup very nicely. Had a sofa in the middle of the room, carpet on the floors and of course several speaker models and avrs in the room along with amps and a LG OLED tv setup in the middle. Owner handed me to remote left the room said take your time and went talk with other customers. Thing is, he wouldn't budge off the list price that was the deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis