Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry, I meant when was the audition done? The DAC IC change of some D+M units supposedly only affect units made since around April/May this year.
Doesn't say, all I could find was 2021.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I think it’s supposed to fill in missing bits due to compression. If it’s like “other” enhance mode thingys.
I’ve not really dug deep, but I thought hi-res files didn’t have much in the way of missing bits. *shrugs
To be fair, I haven’t done a deep dive into lossless and hi-res, so I’m not claiming any knowledge base here… freely admit it’s something I’ve taken for granted. I just know that the Denon and Marantz units are all (or mostly) certified for hi-res audio playback and thus will be capable of taking a lossless files and reproducing it accurately. There shouldn’t be any missing bits that need to be filled in if using a lossless file, right?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Actually I knew that and that's why I knew about their accuracy, I could tell from their coloring scheme lol.., but thanks anyway for confirming.
Yeah lots of crayon used. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve not really dug deep, but I thought hi-res files didn’t have much in the way of missing bits. *shrugs
To be fair, I haven’t done a deep dive into lossless and hi-res, so I’m not claiming any knowledge base here… freely admit it’s something I’ve taken for granted. I just know that the Denon and Marantz units are all (or mostly) certified for hi-res audio playback and thus will be capable of taking a lossless files and reproducing it accurately. There shouldn’t be any missing bits that need to be filled in if using a lossless file, right?
I’d say we are in the same boat on this. I haven’t done any kind of deep dive either. Just going off of what I’ve read from owners manuals and other lit. I agree, if it’s hi rez I don’t know why it would need anything else. However this IS Yamaha so, ask an interpreter lol. I’ll read the manual and see if anything resonates.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’d say we are in the same boat on this. I haven’t done any kind of deep dive either. Just going off of what I’ve read from owners manuals and other lit. I agree, if it’s hi rez I don’t know why it would need anything else. However this IS Yamaha so, ask an interpreter lol. I’ll read the manual and see if anything resonates.
A quick googling makes it look like it is "supposed to" enhance lossy music files.

If I roll my eyes much harder, I think I'll have a seizure.

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
A quick googling makes it look like it is "supposed to" enhance lossy music files.

If I roll my eyes much harder, I think I'll have a seizure.
There is a noticeable improvement in clarity and separation when using the Enhancer with streaming audio like Spotify or even listening to mp3 files. It also doesn't detract from lossless sources, so I just leave it on all the time.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Not sure if you already saw this

This guy has some interesting comparison on Yamaha AVRs. He has some other brands' stuff compared as well. Just sharing...

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
What is the high-res music enhancer on the yammie? Why is it necessary beyond being capable of playing back hi-res music?
Yes and no. Enhancer algorithm will work both with lossy and lossless files with lower bit depth and sampling rate. It's a higher-bit depth and higher-sampling rate software extension of up to 96 kHz/24-bit that can be applied to lossless 44.1/48 kHz content such as from a CD (2-channel PCM) file for further heightening of the musicality in the original content.
Hi res.jpg

The graph shows the math in theory. How audible the enhancement is, everyone should try and listen. For this, users need to know their files. The feature can be a gimmick, but it does not need to be, depending on how well the software can execute repackaging with different file formats and how trained your ears are. It is to be tested with various file formats.

As an example, let's take FLAC into consideration. It is interesting as it comes in different flavors, both low resolution and high-res audio. In its most basic, low-res FLAC files ripped from CDs or streamed usually have 44.1 kHz x 16-bit x 2 for stereo, so a bit-rate of up to 1.4 Mbps. If streamed from TV's apps, this could fit within ARC's bandwidth of ~1 Mbps and passed-through to AVR. AVR then can use the Enhancer to make it "FLAC on steroids".

If we were to look at a high-res FLAC file at 96 kHz/24-bit, a commonly used high resolution sample rate, this contains a stream of information 24-bits in size. This stream of information is sampled 96,000 times a second- giving us the 96kHz part. With 2 channels, its bit rate could be up to 4.6 Mbps, hence TV's apps cannot cope with this bandwidth of audio output over ARC channel.

For this test, we will not be listening FLAC files from TV's apps, as high-res FLAC files cannot output from native ARC channel on TV's processor, even if you have eARC port for external devices (remember previous posts...). Take a source that is directly connected to AVR.

Volunteer guinea pigs are needed for an experiment at home. To compare Yamaha's advertised "musicality" performance between enhanced low-res FLAC file, aka "FLAC on Yamaha steroid", and genuine high-res FLAC file, we would need to listen to the same song encoded with different bit depth and different sampling rate stored as separate files.

Procedure
A - We need to prepare one song in three versions, as follows:
- FLAC 44.1 kHz - 16-bit x 2 channels - original (low-res control against the Enhancer)
- FLAC 96.0 kHz - 24-bit x 2 channels - original (high-res control against both low-res and the Enhancer)
- FLAC 192 kHz - 24-bit x 2 channels - original (high-res control against high-res for audio fanboyz)

B - Standardize the experience and gear: same volume, same speakers, same position, room conditions, etc.

C - Ready to listen? Go.... Which one sounds the best?
1. Can you tell the difference at 44.1/16-bit with and without the Enhancer?
No - gimmick or insensitive/untrained ears
Yes, it's worse with it - faulty algorithm or... audio hallucinations :D
Yes, it's better with it - Enhancer works
2. Can you tell the difference between 44.1/16-bit with the Enhancer and 96 kHz/24-bit original?
No - Enhancer works or insensitive/untrained ears
Yes, 96/24 is worse - odd, but feel free to fall in love with the Enhancer
Yes, 96/24 is better - Enhancer is a gimmick or it still works, but 96/24 is even better (ideally)
(bonus test, for your own sanity) 3. Can you tell the difference between originals 44/16-bit and 96 kHz/24-bit?
No - insensitive or untrained ears (are you sure you need top AXA?)
Yes, 96/24 is worse - odd; ditch high-res listening; old CDs twisted your brain man
Yes, 96/24 is better - trained ears (true AXA fanboyz)
(bonus test, for your own sanity) 4. Can you tell the difference between 96/24-bit and 192 kHz/24-bit?
No - do not feel guilty, hardly anyone can
Yes, 192/24 is worse - against the law of physics; get that Cortical implant at once
Yes, 192/24 is better - very hard to achieve; 99% of people are fulling themselves

What did you find?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
There is a noticeable improvement in clarity and separation when using the Enhancer with streaming audio like Spotify or even listening to mp3 files. It also doesn't detract from lossless sources, so I just leave it on all the time.
I use it for streaming CD, Vinyl music. Not so much for HT.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey! You told me I had a Yamaha stuck up my a$$ on another thread. Just messing with ya bro! You coming at me with all these questions and umm can I get a hug! ;)
Actually that was sachB the infamous yamaha whack bag. Not you.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Didn't he get perma banned?
Nope. Some of us tried but apparently he didn’t really do anything wrong. I did get a “visit” about a post I made directly attacking him. He quietly went away but has since dropped in a few times posting some affiliate links. I just ignore him now.
I try to be as nice as the next guy, but that one? Really gets under my skin.
I mentioned him here, but did not summon him. Have enough drama with three teenagers!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Just tried it. I don’t like the idea that something is re processing a lossless 48khz source… but it sounds more detailed?!?!?? Source is Apple Music from an Apple TV (with lossless set in settings). I like it !

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Just tried it. I don’t like the idea that something is re processing a lossless 48khz source… but it sounds more detailed?!?!?? Source is Apple Music from an Apple TV (with lossless set in settings). I like it !
Yeah, it's kind of hard to describe unless you actually hear it. If I had to say it kind of reminds me of a BBE sonic maximizer I had patched in to a set up I had years ago.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, it's kind of hard to describe unless you actually hear it. If I had to say it kind of reminds me of a BBE sonic maximizer I had patched in to a set up I had years ago.
I tried it previously without paying enough attention to the medium/ high. I like the term “better clarity and separation”. It like hearing a higher sampling rate so more contrast.

edit : Now I am curious about Tidal

AllenB

AllenB

Enthusiast
Re the Enhancer:
I tried it previously without paying enough attention to the medium/ high. I like the term “better clarity and separation”. It like hearing a higher sampling rate so more contrast.

edit : Now I am curious about Tidal
Steaming Tidal (HiFi) directly from the A6A, turning on the Enhanced setting does not detract from the sound. Doesn't add anything desirable either. So it would be practical to just leave it on by default if you were listening to a range of sources, some with lower sampling rates.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Re the Enhancer:

Steaming Tidal (HiFi) directly from the A6A, turning on the Enhanced setting does not detract from the sound. Doesn't add anything desirable either. So it would be practical to just leave it on by default if you were listening to a range of sources, some with lower sampling rates.
Something I noticed about Ehancer : it increases separation and clarity but it has a side effect. I am more able to pin point where my front speakers are ! Once tweaked the angle toward the listening position it’s perfect. Now turning ehancer off sounds “muddy”. I think I need better front speakers. So what’s about those B&W 803 D4…

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis