Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

E

EB1000

Audiophyte
This video is showing a know problem with Dolby Vision and certain players (Firestick, Shield TV, etc.) and certain TVs. This problem is not the AVR. There is not enough information given in that clip to know. What version firestick, what TV, is the video be streamed from Plex or some other source. Another thing to note is why does this person have Enhancer on with Dolby Atmos/DD+?
It has nothing to do with "certain players". It only happens with the new Yamaha AVR, whenever Atmos via DD+ (not lossless via THD) is played and AI/Enhancer are enabled. It will happen on ALL movie streaming services such as Netflix, because they can only use DD+ for Atmos. it does not happen with Blue ray playback, as it uses True HD. This was confirmed by many users at AVS as well.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi, first post. Had been an audio man for many years and about 7 years ago sold all my stuff and got a "theater system. My plasma has the green line of death so I started looking around at what was going on in the audio video world. I realized that I needed a OLED and would have to spend some money so I set a budget and decided to replace everything.
Realizing that I would need a better receiver I at first set my sights on a Nad but came to the conclusion that it did not offer much value for the money and Nad didn't want you to use anything but 8 ohm speakers. My current one is a Dennon AVR E400 so it will not do all the stuff that was needed. So for me it seemed that the Yamaha or the Anthem would perhaps what I would like. Just got a RX-A4A from Crutchfield as a open box and am waiting for it to arrive. My son games but is happy with what I have now and as far as I can tell most of the issues are in the gaming world and would not affect me.
While I have enjoyed the petty bickering it does seem to get in the way of interesting stuff.
Welcome to AH! When you do get your RX-A4A setup, don't hesitate to ask any questions was help for settings. What speakers do you have? You have a Sub/Subs? 4K blu-ray player? Post up your thoughts and photos if you like.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Most of the petty bickering is among longtime forum posters who do this for fun. The issues of different brands of AVRs is hard to resolve without being a professional reviewer and having a constant exposure to all the new products each year. Some of us rely on the mathematical purity of bench measurements to narrow our choices. Whereas some will reply that we cannot hear the minor differences in bench-measured distortion, those AVRs with better numbers also tend to have better engineering hygiene. The other big factor is how our fellow early purchasers are dealing with potential QA failures. It is also worthwhile to mention that once a human makes a decision (or purchase) you WILL have confirmation bias added to our posts. Most of the petty bickering is rooted in confirmation bias.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Most of the petty bickering is among longtime forum posters who do this for fun. The issues of different brands of AVRs is hard to resolve without being a professional reviewer and having a constant exposure to all the new products each year. Some of us rely on the mathematical purity of bench measurements to narrow our choices. Whereas some will reply that we cannot hear the minor differences in bench-measured distortion, those AVRs with better numbers also tend to have better engineering hygiene. The other big factor is how our fellow early purchasers are dealing with potential QA failures. It is also worthwhile to mention that once a human makes a decision (or purchase) you WILL have confirmation bias added to our posts. Most of the petty bickering is rooted in confirmation bias.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's all in fun, but the picking at each other was going on AH way before I signed up. I don't believe in bashing anyone gear or choice of gear. Unless the snowball is chunked first.Than yeah chuck back. But to start the childish name calling, lame or that's just junk you have. This Yamaha thread got derailed on the very first page from members posting up, Denon this, Onkyo has this. But that's not unusual on this Forum.

Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
I am going to be slayed for this but my old system was a Samsung 60 inch plasma, Polk TRI 4 mains and matching center, Polk Monitor rear and Parts express 10 inch sub with a Oppo 103D dvd, Apple streaming box, and Fire 4K, and the previously mentioned Dennon.
New system is Polk Reserve R200 mains, Polk Ri 4 rear, SVS 1000 Pro sub, same streaming but it seems that my new screen will handle some of that and keep the Oppo for now. Also new stands and some room correction. Yes it will be a 4.1 setup.
Been playing bass and working in recording studios for a terrifying 50 years. Also live in a real rural area so looking at new stuff is difficult.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
It has nothing to do with "certain players". It only happens with the new Yamaha AVR, whenever Atmos via DD+ (not lossless via THD) is played and AI/Enhancer are enabled. It will happen on ALL movie streaming services such as Netflix, because they can only use DD+ for Atmos. it does not happen with Blue ray playback, as it uses True HD. This was confirmed by many users at AVS as well.
Zero issue here

Attachments

Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
One question although this is in the wrong place. I have an older Apple TV that is not 4K. Plan on buying a Sony OLED 80 series. The 4k Apple is on a good deal right now. If I buy that TV will I no longer need the Apple box?

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
One question although this is in the wrong place. I have an older Apple TV that is not 4K. Plan on buying a Sony OLED 80 series. The 4k Apple is on a good deal right now. If I buy that TV will I no longer need the Apple box?
What are you using the Apple TV for?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
It only happens with the new Yamaha AVR, whenever Atmos via DD+ (not lossless via THD) is played and AI/Enhancer are enabled. It will happen on ALL movie streaming services such as Netflix, because they can only use DD+ for Atmos. it does not happen with Blue ray playback, as it uses True HD. This was confirmed by many users at AVS as well.
I totally disagree with you, my A6A doesn't exhibit anything like you are talking about. BTW do you even have one of these to test what you are saying or are you just over here stirring up shiat??? Based on your total of 5 posts it seems like the latter.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Wait a minute, (Atmos via DD+) I'm streaming Netflix right now, Atmos, Dolby Vision, nothing but clean, clear, pristine soundstage on my RX-A4A. Something doesn't add up with what your experiencing. 4 owners of the A4A and up to A8A are experience absolutely No sound quality issues in HT use.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I would always prefer the AppleTV against any embedded TV app as there is more chance the AppleTV app to be updated, improved than the apps written by TV manufacturers that won't maintain them as soon there is a new TV lineup out.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You get a carrot!! Beta testers does have it's rewards. 5 Years warranty!! :D
Faces of some carrot eaters' are becoming orange, even if you give them 10 years warranty, like one Australian outlet decided to do for A8A model.

I guess it's not about warranty as such. It's more about various (buggy?) features people are increasingly frustrated with after purchasing expensive devices. 2.1 or 2.2. listening may be good enough for you, but others would pay more attention to dialogue bleeding from wrong speakers or audio drop-outs from streaming. It can be very annoying, especially when coming from flagship devices. Then again, we need re-testing and multiple confirmations.

I started thinking whether we perhaps expect too much from modern AVRs. Vendors advertise and promise ever more complicated audio and video features and move the goalpost of expectations. There are hundreds of features and settings. It's almost a red carpet intivation for various issues to crop up.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Technically no. I don’t think you’d need the box. However, I would still get one. It’s easier to use, works better and eases connection. Plus you don’t need stupid arc.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Faces od some carrot eaters' are becoming orange, even if you give them 10 years warranty, like one Australian outlet decided to do for A8A model.

I guess it's not about warranty as such. It's more about various (buggy) features people are increasingly frustrated with after purchasing expensive devices. 2.1 or 2.2. listening may be good enough for you, but others would pay more attention to dialogue bleeding from wrong speakers or audio drop-outs from streaming. It can be very annoying, especially when coming from flagship devices.

I started thinking whether we perhaps expect too much from modern AVRs. Vendors advertise and promise ever more complicated audio and video features and move the goalpost of expectations. There are hundreds of features and settings. It's almost a red carpet intivation for various issues to crop up.
There are a few not many AH members do not like AVR's. Doc makes no bones about how he feels about AVR's. He'll tell you straight up they're junk. Me? Absolutely no issues with my RX-A4A! I highly recommend Yamaha Adventage. :D. Dialog? What you talking about Willis? Again absolutely no issues with HT surround or for music use, dialogue is crisp and clear where it should be center channel. Don't know how many times I can post up that my RX-A4A isn't experiencing any issues. I've also posted up my Son came over with his PS5 about two weeks ago, we played one of his games through my A4A, No audio and or video issues. 5.1.2 setup. 4K 60Hz.

Last edited:
Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
My Samsung is not a smart tv so almost all TV watching. Over internet I have Prime, Netflix, Curiosity Stream, and Hulu.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Very strange... I am starting to think that the unit sent to Gene might have had similar issues mentioned above by @Majorusa which caused the bad measurements. If there are units here that sound good and people love them, probably their units are OK. But not every unit is that way... Who knows...
It's hard to generalize from individual testing of specific units, but then again QA should provide some basic uniformity across units. Also, units may sound great in some configurations with some sources and some speakers. It's immensly complicated system to normalize for objective testing, as individual users report issues from their specific configuraitons of devices.
Yeah, I'm jacking around, my RX-A4A has performed without issues. Nothing but Yamaha awesomeness! :)
It depends which features are tested. That's why we need more comprehensive insight into various configurations, so that we could find out about dialogie bleeding in 7.2.4, etc. Someone needs to volunteer to list all possible configurations and issues/non-issues identified. Otherwise, we have informational chaos.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
3000$ for this cr@p? Seriously?
It's pointless to be sensationalist about one or other specific bug. It sounds like tabloid press. This is not why we are here. We have mature members for debates and exchange of ideas, testing and troubleshooting. Rubbing the noses of owners is useless, unless in good spirit and with sense of humour. So, it's much appreciated if you could change the tone and engage on different level of narrative.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
It's hard to generalize from individual testing of specific units, but then again QA should provide some basic uniformity across units. Also, units may sound great in some configurations wiht some sources and some speakers. It's immensly complicated system to normalize for objective testing, as individual users report issues from their specific configuraitons of devices.

It depends which features are tested. That's why we need more comprehensive insight into various configurations, so that we could find out about dialogie bleeding in 7.2.4, etc. Someone needs to volunteer to list all possible configurations and issues/non-issues identified. Otherwise, we have informational chaos.
I can tell you that with my 7.2.2 I don't have any dialog bleeding. And all amps/channels are in use as the front speakers are bi amped.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
This video is showing a know problem with Dolby Vision and certain players (Firestick, Shield TV, etc.) and certain TVs. This problem is not the AVR. There is not enough information given in that clip to know. What version firestick, what TV, is the video be streamed from Plex or some other source. Another thing to note is why does this person have Enhancer on with Dolby Atmos/DD+?
Exactly. It's more complex than one short can show. Good questions. It's good to investigate with head on our shoulders.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis