Are These Finds Good Deals?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Now these are kinda cool, and not a bad price if working properly. They do have powered sub sections tho so that's always a li'l risky. They're Infinity Overture 2 towers for $160. These were a lot more at retail when they were new, and I have a pair of Overture 1 books. They're very good sounding speakers that play surprisingly deep for books.

View attachment 51888

I have the bookshelf/center version of those I think. They are Grey drivers. I haven't listen to the bookshelf, but the center is decent, but not as clear as my JBL that I got recently. I'll digout the bookshelf version soon. Look a couple of pages back I think I posted a pic.
Edit not the same line, but they look similar. Here:

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have the bookshelf/center version of those I think. They are Grey drivers. I haven't listen to the bookshelf, but the center is decent, but not as clear as my JBL that I got recently. I'll digout the bookshelf version soon. Look a couple of pages back I think I posted a pic.
Yours is a different lower version from the Overture series

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, Zieg is right. I think that's the reference series. The Overtures were upper tier speakers back in the day.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"Honest" white van speakers?? Guy wants a hundred bucks for these, but check out the specs that are printed right on the box!

01717_8Uq7nAeAYIKz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00J0J_236vFlhRx8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Fr of 60 - 200 hz for the "sub" and 150 hz - 2 kHz for the main and surround speakers are straight up garbage specs, but hey, they print it right on the box!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oof, this guy. I think it's the same guy. Pretty sure I posted these a ways back and unsurprisingly they haven't sold yet. Asking full retail it's no wonder, even if they are some really nice speakers, Salk SS6M and KEF Reference 1s with the the stands.

I guess the stands hes including with the KEFs are pretty pricey, so I guess what he's asking isn't too out of line but he's asking retail for the Salks. I have a feeling they're gonna sit there for a long time.
Those KEF Reference 1's aren't the current model. Those which have the trim ring pressed into the aluminum front baffle have been superseded by a design which eliminates that trim ring and the finish is now a darker gray on the only model that uses a wood finish. The piano black finish now has a matching black front baffle and copper-colored drivers. As for the stands, those retail for $2000, the speakers are now $8000 so together it's $10k.

I have the new style in "Silver Satin Walnut" with the grey front baffle, and recently added the stands. I got both for well under his price...with a full 5-year warranty.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those KEF Reference 1's aren't the current model. Those which have the trim ring pressed into the aluminum front baffle have been superseded by a design which eliminates that trim ring and the finish is now a darker gray on the only model that uses a wood finish. The piano black finish now has a matching black front baffle and copper-colored drivers. As for the stands, those retail for $2000, the speakers are now $8000 so together it's $10k.

I have the new style in "Silver Satin Walnut" with the grey front baffle, and recently added the stands. I got both for well under his price...with a full 5-year warranty.
Yeah, I looked up those stands so I knew it added some value but still... $7k is a lot for a craigslisting and for previous model speakers.

That said they do look stunning. I'll bet they sound as good as they look too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh wow. Those KEF R1s have a harmonic distortion spec of .5%! You don't see harmonic distortion specs for a speaker very often, but I know that .5% is pretty amazing for a speaker. What little I've seen on that spec for speakers is usually much higher.

Screenshot_2021-11-30-15-30-45_copy_626x719.png

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Oh wow. Those KEF R1s have a harmonic distortion spec of .5%! You don't see harmonic distortion specs for a speaker very often, but I know that .5% is pretty amazing for a speaker. What little I've seen on that spec for speakers is usually much higher.
View attachment 51906
The SoundStage reviewer considered it as the best stand mount speaker that he ever heard:

Measurements for this speaker were made at the National Reserach Center anechoic chamber in Ottawa, which means they are accurate:
If the price looks good to you and the seller seems reliable, I think it would be a good deal. I would make sure that the possibility of return with refund exists though.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 51906
Agree with you, at $10K they're out of a reasonable deal!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SoundStage reviewer considered it as the best stand mount speaker that he ever heard:

Measurements for this speaker were made at the National Reserach Center anechoic chamber in Ottawa, which means they are accurate:
If the price looks good to you and the seller seems reliable, I think it would be a good deal. I would make sure that the possibility of return wit refund exists though.
I marked your post optimistic if you think I was considering spending $7k on anything. That's outta my league for sure, even if it was a deal, lol.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

If the price looks good to you and the seller seems reliable, I think it would be a good deal. I would make sure that the possibility of return with refund exists though.
On KEF's website, if you look them up there are multiple downloads but one is their "white paper" which reveals all the technology and engineering involved in creating them. The Uni-Q driver may look like the same ones in other, lower-level KEF speakers but it is vastly different. The motors on the bass drivers are huge, even compared to those in the R series. In my room, I'm running the short port tubes and have measured with REW what I get. It's strong right down to 34hz, and it tapers off slowly to the low 20's. My subwoofer was too much trouble to dial in to a level befitting the speakers, so it remains unplugged.

These were far off the radar for me, also because of the price. I walked into my dealer one day in February and he had just received a shipment of the older style being closed-out. There were 3 pairs of 1's, 2 pairs of 3's, and two pairs of Reference 5's. The shipment was all the older style, new from stock at KEF America in New Jersey. Two pairs of the Reference 1's were that same piano black, and the older style seen in the Soundstage review. Those were both already spoken for, so I asked about the 3rd. Those were "B-stock", but the new style...in Silver Satin Walnut. I said "I'll take them, what's my price?" I was given a price that shocked me, one he asked me to not reveal because if it got around he could get in trouble.

I gave my dealer about 1/2 the price he quoted, and he told me to "take 'em with you." He told me to pay the rest "when you can." That sent me into selling off speakers I wasn't using much because being on the main floor of our apartment they were disturbing my 1st floor tenant. The 84 yr old woman never complained, but I knew that I had to move my music listening to our 3rd floor guest bedroom. I sold off the LS50's that were in that bedroom first, then the R500's, R200c, R100's, and R50's in our living room. Downsized that to a soundbar and T101 surrounds. I last sold the LS50 Meta pair from my office, and the NAD M10 that ran them. That all paid for the remainder of the Reference 1's, and solved the future problem of selling all those other speakers after they're so outdated they have little value. I know that in 10-15 years, we'll be moving to the smaller space on the 1st floor, so might as well downsize now. A few months after taking the Reference 1's home, they were fully paid for and now I need an amp worthy of them

The Luxman does fit that bill. All told, as I sit in front of Reference 1's on their bespoke stands, looking at the new Gustard X16 DAC and the Luman L-505uXII, I know I still haven't spent what new Reference 1's and stands cost at full list. I couldn't be happier! They are the perfect speaker for that room, and my ears. Floorshaking bass, but very even response across the spectrum. I invite anyone who wants to drive to south-central Massachusetts to come hear it yourself.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
"Honest" white van speakers?? Guy wants a hundred bucks for these, but check out the specs that are printed right on the box!

Fr of 60 - 200 hz for the "sub" and 150 hz - 2 kHz for the main and surround speakers are straight up garbage specs, but hey, they print it right on the box!

Look like White Van or mass market speakers from China

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Look like White Van or mass market speakers from China
Definitely white van. I just thought it was funny that they printed those awful specs on the box right next to the suggested retail. Then I thought, "well, at least they're not lying about how garbage they are...". Lol

So I found 2 tempting offers. One is this 12" M&K Dominus Shady just posted up. He's asking only $200 but states that the "top driver needs replaced".

If the only thing wrong with it is the upper driver it could be an easy fix and I could try flipping it for some profit. Or use it.... I'm gonna go read up on it. If it has a low enough fr that'd give me a sub in every corner! I wonder what M&K would charge me for a new driver...

Found this Monolith 12 too for $450. If it's in good shape that's not a bad deal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well holy crap! If that's the same model M&K subwoofer in Shady's article that thing retails for $5k! I'm gonna ask this guy some questions...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely white van. I just thought it was funny that they printed those awful specs on the box right next to the suggested retail. Then I thought, "well, at least they're not lying about how garbage they are...". Lol

So I found 2 tempting offers. One is this 12" M&K Dominus Shady just posted up. He's asking only $200 but states that the "top driver needs replaced".

If the only thing wrong with it is the upper driver it could be an easy fix and I could try flipping it for some profit. Or use it.... I'm gonna go read up on it. If it has a low enough fr that'd give me a sub in every corner! I wonder what M&K would charge me for a new driver...

Found this Monolith 12 too for $450. If it's in good shape that's not a bad deal.

On the Digital Audio the specs given on the outside may be for their so-called subwoofer -- Would not hurt to call M&K ... and the Monolith looks nice and is open for offers

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Could be from the older series

Latest ones
I'm beginning to suspect you're right and it is from the older series. The ad says it's a $1500 sub and the 12" Shady wrote about retails for $5k. They do look a lot alike at first glance. I'm gonna text the guy and ask just in case. If it's one of the older ones I'll just pass.

*Edit: Hmm... yeah. They sure look a lot alike. I'm gonna text then I'll report back.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was the newer model! "Was" because he just sold it! Someone else had the same idea.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It was the newer model! "Was" because he just sold it! Someone else had the same idea.
There are people out there occupied all day just waiting for a deal ... but the + sign is not by the number on his picture

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis