Are These Finds Good Deals?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ooof..... It'd probably be better if he put that center channel above the TV. At least the tweeters would be closer together.
Agree. Ideally, he would have to remove everything including moving the turntable closer to the edge of the shelf, and lower the TV to the shelf. Then the center speaker above the TV would be more to the level of the tower tweeters.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A mystery ... would this be a good deal for $40 ... no name or model number and the tweeter looks a little cheap and the woofers seem to look like some type of Sony woofers ... and there are fuses for the woofer and tweeter on the back ... an interesting mystery

Attachments

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The fact that whoever made those couldn't spell "impedance" properly doesn't instill faith in me. My bet is white van.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They look to be custom made because of the white port tube ... The add says 14 inches tall, 9 inches wide and 6 inches deep

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well they are not junk, but I had to replace the fuses for the tweeters ... the cabinets are 3/4 inch and weigh about 20 lbs each ... the front port is 5 inches deep ... the woofer is 6 inches and not a cheap Sony like one, but there is no marking on the shielded woofer and the material looks similar to Kevlar and has a fat rubber surround, the tweeter is a metal or ceramic dome ... I did remove some of the felt carpet material and replaced that with poly-batten ... it was designed with a first order woofer and tweeter crossover with a poly cap! ... and even with the first order crossover it sounds mostly linear with a slight rise in frequencies ... no real irritating nasal or congested boxy sound, but there is some slight sibilance at times ... better than the likes of Bose, entry level Polks, bottom level Sony speakers, and better than some old Paradigm Titan speakers ... I would like to see a better tweeter and maybe a second order crossover and would prefer a rear port, because sound can leak through the front port.

1637622406820.png

1637622471165.png

1637622524193.png

1637622573109.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a li'l excited with these at first, but I think they're older and one of them has a dented tweeter. I don't even like dented dust caps. Dented tweeters send me running for the hills. Still tho, $200 for a pair of Revel M20s, with stands.

00u0u_ktvXZGs94QDz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
00d0d_ffrJfo3ZutBz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

They look like they could use a little cleaning up too.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I got a li'l excited with these at first, but I think they're older and one of them has a dented tweeter. I don't even like dented dust caps. Dented tweeters send me running for the hills. Still tho, $200 for a pair of Revel M20s, with stands.

View attachment 51745View attachment 51746

They look like they could use a little cleaning up too.
Still they could be a steal with a little cleaning up at that price.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Tweeter is not as bad as it could have been ... Still a very good deal for some good speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was kinda afraid you guys would say it's a good deal, lol. I really would like to check out some Revel speakers and those just have an attractive look to me. $200 I can afford for some nice speakers. I'm gonna do search around and see if I can stumble across a possible replacement tweet. Cleaned up with a non dented tweeter and I could maybe resell them pretty easy.

Who am I kidding..? "Resell" ha. :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For originally $2000/pr the M20s could well be attractive, wonder if you can still replace the tweeter 20 years later, tho....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For originally $2000/pr the M20s could well be attractive, wonder if you can still replace the tweeter 20 years later, tho....
Replacing the tweeter with a new original one, most likely not possible. Then replacing both tweeters with new ones might involve a modification of the baffle and without any doubt the modification of the crossover. IMO it isn't worth the trouble.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
They still have them. At least as of 2018/2019 they did. I remember the F30’s I owned had a slight dimple and it was really messing with my OCD.

I emailed Revel and they could sell me a new one… you won’t like the price though... even if you pay $200, they’re still $2000 speakers…

For $200 you could always be adventurous and disassemble the tweeter and try to smooth out the dome from its inside.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A mystery ... would this be a good deal for $40 ... no name or model number and the tweeter looks a little cheap and the woofers seem to look like some type of Sony woofers ... and there are fuses for the woofer and tweeter on the back ... an interesting mystery
Well, I cannot believe that I tend to favor these $40 mystery speakers ... it has taken a couple of days messing with the internal stuffing to get the sound of the woofer and speaker more to my liking ... the DIY designer just placed some 1/4 thick carpet felt padding on the back portion of the speaker. All in all, the cabinets around 20 lbs each would make some DIY person happy ... the cabinets are easily worth the $40 ... A modded crossover network would make them better. but I still prefer them over some Q Acoustics speakers that i use to own.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oof, this guy. I think it's the same guy. Pretty sure I posted these a ways back and unsurprisingly they haven't sold yet. Asking full retail it's no wonder, even if they are some really nice speakers, Salk SS6M and KEF Reference 1s with the the stands.

I guess the stands hes including with the KEFs are pretty pricey, so I guess what he's asking isn't too out of line but he's asking retail for the Salks. I have a feeling they're gonna sit there for a long time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now these are kinda cool, and not a bad price if working properly. They do have powered sub sections tho so that's always a li'l risky. They're Infinity Overture 2 towers for $160. These were a lot more at retail when they were new, and I have a pair of Overture 1 books. They're very good sounding speakers that play surprisingly deep for books.

00L0L_549HzrU9fCHz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis