Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of power for $100 and the front face seems to be in good condition. Might need new cables or an adapter if you are not using XLR or 1/4" input jacks on the Behringer. Lots of current at rated power. Says 9.5A at 120V. That's if you run it bridged and push it to the max. Hard to say what actual power usage will be at your typical volume but if you trip a circuit breaker you'll know why. ;) Will likely be ok in normal use. Did you ever have the Behringer checked over to see if the other channel is working?
No, I haven't officially had it checked over, but can confirm nothing comes out of channel B, lol. So I'm currently using channel A, which is s'posed to be capable of 900 watts at 4 ohms. Then again I've been told "yeah, keep in mind those are Behringer watts...". Anyhoo, it works and I haven't seemed to run out of power or heard any problems but who knows if/when the other channel might go. I'm currently using a 1/4" input jack for the Behringer.

For 100 bucks this does seem like a lot of amp for not a lot of money so it's tempting me.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Now these look very interesting for only $60. Koss M100 powered monitors a la mtm design. I'm not all that familiar with the brand, but these don't look cheap or low quality to me. Drivers look kinda vintagey but the cabs look nice and well put together. I wouldn't be surprised if these sound pretty nice for the price. It's tempting because they're so cheap but what the hell am I gonna do with a pair of powered monitors?? Any of you guys familiar with Koss?

View attachment 51183

View attachment 51184

Here's a review of the M100. Nice cabinets but average drivers. Maybe good for a den or workshop. I have two pairs of Koss headphones, one I purchased in the late 70's before I could afford decent audio gear. The Koss Technician VFR were first released in '74 and were the first headphones to have a variable frequency response that you could tailor to your tastes. The upper setting was pretty useless as it killed the bass, but the lower setting produced some really nice full bass for a headphone of that era. I think the originals had foam ear cushions that would degrade over time, but mine have an inflated vinyl cushion that works well as long as it holds air. They were almost $100 in the day so over $300 in today's money, which was a lot for a high schooler.

I got them from the same shop where I first heard the JBL L300 Summits with a Harmon Kardon Citation 16. I would still like to get my hands on one of these amps (conservative 150W/ch) but the current C$1600 asking price is too high considering others on Ebay are only US$800. That's the original MSRP!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here's a review of the M100. Nice cabinets but average drivers. Maybe good for a den or workshop. I have two pairs of Koss headphones, one I purchased in the late 70's before I could afford decent audio gear. The Koss Technician VFR were first released in '74 and were the first headphones to have a variable frequency response that you could tailor to your tastes. The upper setting was pretty useless as it killed the bass, but the lower setting produced some really nice full bass for a headphone of that era. I think the originals had foam ear cushions that would degrade over time, but mine have an inflated vinyl cushion that works well as long as it holds air. They were almost $100 in the day so over $300 in today's money, which was a lot for a high schooler.

I got them from the same shop where I first heard the JBL L300 Summits with a Harmon Kardon Citation 16. I would still like to get my hands on one of these amps (conservative 150W/ch) but the current C$1600 asking price is too high considering others on Ebay are only US$800. That's the original MSRP!
This Citation 16 looks really nice. However, I would rather suggest a Phase Linear 400 if you can get one at at an attractive price. It has a 200 watt/ch rated output at 8 ohms and was unbeatable when it was released. I owned one several years ago which I sold for $300 to a friend. I departed from it as it took a little too much space. Also, since I was driving very sensitive Altec A7 VOTT components at the time, the output meters almost never moved.

No problem driving 8 ohm drivers, but unfortunately according to M Code, this amplifier is not designed to drive 4 ohms loads at very high outputs.
See Post #39 (Last paragraph):

Phase 400.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
Monolith 15” on sale versus 13” at msrp

Hi - been eyeing the monolith 13” 2000 watt for 1599 and realized the 15” is on sale right now for $1000 (normally $1339). I know the specs on the 13” are impressive but wondering if it is worth the extra $600. I’m looking to get 2 for my HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
$1500 seems like a lot, but with recent price increases it's actually not terrible if it's in good shape and working. I've seen @shadyJ say that the PB4000 is pretty close in performance compared to the PB16 Ultra, making it a better bang for buck sub.
Thanks. Leaning towards the monolith subs anyway. Seems a bit high with recent price increases. It is also 3yrs old, but working as it should.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. Leaning towards the monolith subs anyway. Seems a bit high with recent price increases. It is also 3yrs old, but working as it should.

The Monolith 15" for $1000 seems like a better deal to me. Monoprice has been killing it lately with their Monolith line and that 15" is legit.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This Citation 16 looks really nice. However, I would rather suggest a Phase Linear 400 if you can get one at at an attractive price. It has a 200 watt/ch rated output at 8 ohms and was unbeatable when it was released. I owned one several years ago which I sold for $300 to a friend. I departed from it as it took a little too much space. Also, since I was driving very sensitive Altec A7 VOTT components at the time, the output meters almost never moved.

No problem driving 8 ohm drivers, but unfortunately according to M Code, this amplifier is not designed to drive 4 ohms loads at very high outputs.
See Post #39 (Last paragraph):

View attachment 51209
Have to admit that it's more out of nostalgia than need. Those LED VU meters on the Citation were pretty unique at the time and I still love the look of the 16, but man, those things are beasts for just 2 channels of amplification. You could stack 3 Crowns in the same space. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I saw a Hsu 10 or 12 inch sub, but they wanted $199.99. It's was badly scraped on the finish. It also came with a large Hsu Center speaker, which was in good shape sold as a combo. Left my phone is the car, so no pics.
They are still there! o_O Very shocking. I was so tempted to make offer, but left. JBL was only one speaker.
IMG_02112021_190018_(2200_x_1238_pixel).jpg

IMG_02112021_190103_(2200_x_1238_pixel).jpg

IMG_02112021_185829_(1238_x_2200_pixel).jpg

_20211102_191136.JPG

IMG_02112021_185926_(1238_x_2200_pixel).jpg

IMG_02112021_190151_(1238_x_2200_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That jbl makes great surrounds or front or rear heights lol they would fit very nice with your Hp-520’s I know you don’t want to here that lol ! Those are the studio series 2 they are wall mountable!
Hiya Mark! Nah don't need em. It was only one speaker and not two. I forgot to check the price.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Some interesting subs in there today. Nothing fantastic price-wise, but interesting. Like this PSA TV3612 for $2k.

00I0I_cymYa4oqmZsz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

And this KRK 12" "Studio Sub" for $500?? Why is KRK stuff always so overpriced? Do they make gear that good?

00S0S_9TNQ3tiLXs3z_0kI0kw_600x450.jpg

And this here li'l JBL powered 2.1 setup for $600. 308P MKII and LSR 310S for $600. I'll bet this sounds pretty killer set up right.

00303_VrN6PDuPVPz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This one here just straight up offends my proper setup sensibilities. Just waiting for this guy to show up here and ask us why his system sounds like ass...

00n0n_1CHxS4CiaDzz_0kE0fa_1200x900.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Damn, I just looked up that PSA 3612 and see it retails for $3200! I guess asking $2k isn't all that unreasonable.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This one here just straight up offends my proper setup sensibilities. Just waiting for this guy to show up here and ask us why his system sounds like ass...

View attachment 51399
Ooof..... It'd probably be better if he put that center channel above the TV. At least the tweeters would be closer together.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
He’d be better off with decent bookshelf speakers and move them nice towers to the back of his room . This setup kind of makes me want to go to his home give him a beer and or 3 and start rearranging lol !

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First, show him a photo of Toole’s inverted Salons… then take a sawzall to that built in! Tell him to try again. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis