Anthem MRX 1140 vs Denon AVR-X8500H

C

ciotime

Audioholic
On just a quick perusal, the DDRC-88A is most likely the one you want. They specifically call out the D variant as for live sound and digital cinema.
I have seen several people use the 88A in their systems, too. None, the 88D.
So in a 7.3.4 setup one would need 2 of these? Wow that's already at about $2K.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So in a 7.3.4 setup one would need 2 of these? Wow that's already at about $2K.
Just get one first for the main channel and see if you can hear a difference, I mean a better difference. Then you can decide for yourself if you think "correcting" the surround and height/Atoms/Auro3D channels would make a difference also.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, you would need two.
There was a guy using these on his Marantz, had a thread over at AVS. He switched to the Monolith HTP-1 and has been quite happy with it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ciotime:

I found the post by @DJ7675 that included a screenshot for disconnecting the individual channel internal power amps. He's the one who told me of this special capability.

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review | Page 10 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

And by the way, since you may be considering the Storm Audio too, DJ7675 has made his switch, as far as I know from NADT758 V3 to AVR-X8500H, now StormAudio. I hope he will chime in and give you some feedback on Audyssey vs Dirac Live vs Trinnov. After that you should ready to tell ADTG which one you are going to buy from him, assuming he will offer you a deal that no one can match, shipped to your country and match your mains voltage/frequency.:D

SOLD: Denon X8500H Receiver Price Drop | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Honestly there's no complaints that I can think of. :) It's just the itch to try something new. And ARC seems to offer users the ability to do more intensive tweaks than what the MultEQ offers. Anyway I've forced myself not to make any rash decisions and for sure I'll come down to my senses.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
ciotime:

I found the post by @DJ7675 that included a screenshot for disconnecting the individual channel internal power amps. He's the one who told me of this special capability.

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review | Page 10 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

And by the way, since you may be considering the Storm Audio too, DJ7675 has made his switch, as far as I know from NADT758 V3 to AVR-X8500H, now StormAudio. I hope he will chime in and give you some feedback on Audyssey vs Dirac Live vs Trinnov. After that you should ready to tell ADTG which one you are going to buy from him, assuming he will offer you a deal that no one can match, shipped to your country and match your mains voltage/frequency.:D

SOLD: Denon X8500H Receiver Price Drop | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Thanks for that but I've already known that the X8500H has the ability to disconnect the individual channel internal power amps. I was asking if the Anthem has that ability as well.

Besides I've since changed my options to the X6700H vs the MRX1140 since the X6700H actually meets my requirements.

As for the StormAudio I think I should keep my senses and scratch it off my list. With a price difference of about $7K compared to the Denon/Anthem I doubt it'll sound $7K better.

Honestly there's no complaints that I can think of. It's just the itch to try something new. And ARC seems to offer users the ability to do more intensive tweaks than what the MultEQ offers. Anyway I've forced myself not to make any rash decisions and for sure I'll come down to my senses.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly there's no complaints that I can think of. :) It's just the itch to try something new. And ARC seems to offer users the ability to do more intensive tweaks than what the MultEQ offers. Anyway I've forced myself not to make any rash decisions and for sure I'll come down to my senses.
Cheaper solutions are available on Amazon too.

1637158015423.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly there's no complaints that I can think of. It's just the itch to try something new. And ARC seems to offer users the ability to do more intensive tweaks than what the MultEQ offers. Anyway I've forced myself not to make any rash decisions and for sure I'll come down to my senses.
I have multiple itch threads. I know what you're feeling, lol. That new toy feeling is super addictive.

Would you consider shifting gears toward possibly new speakers or room treatments? Subwoofage? I didn't see what you have currently and you might already be set for speakers and such. I'm just tossing out other alternatives that could lead to more tangible, audible impovements.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I have multiple itch threads. I know what you're feeling, lol. That new toy feeling is super addictive.

Would you consider shifting gears toward possibly new speakers or room treatments? Subwoofage? I didn't see what you have currently and you might already be set for speakers and such. I'm just tossing out other alternatives that could lead to more tangible, audible impovements.
Room treatments are good. As a matter of fact I have new front's coming in. I ordered the Arendal 1723 S Towers+Center. From what I've read so far they are supposed to be really good for movies. Currently using Dali Oberon 7 as fronts which is just over a year old. :) I already have someone interested in the Dali's.

T

tparm

Audioholic
If you buy the Anthem, try out AnthemLogic - Music If you’d like to upmix 2CH. I own the AVM 70 and haven’t used it yet, but I will and report back. Auro is good but I am not sure its worth basing a purchase on plus having to decide if you want to place your speakers for the Auro or Atmos layout. Frankly the Dolby up mixer works exceptionally well. I play most 2CH stuff in 2.2 but I am enjoying Atmos music more and more.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just get one first for the main channel and see if you can hear a difference, I mean a better difference. Then you can decide for yourself if you think "correcting" the surround and height/Atoms/Auro3D channels would make a difference also.
This is one topic that I have brought up before also.

Whether it is 2Ch or 32CH, I think most of us can agree that the salient speakers are the MAIN FRONTS and subs.

So is it even "necessary" to EQ every single surround speaker on the floor and up the ceiling? :D

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Oh I think auromatic upmixing is the best option for listening to upmixed 2ch music. It seems to sum all the warmth from 400hz down from all the channels and pushes it toward the subs. All the other options I toggle through just sound shallow by comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Everyone has their favorite DSP modes (Auro, NeuralX, DSU) for music and movies, which vary with contents. Just personal preference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Room treatments are good. As a matter of fact I have new front's coming in. I ordered the Arendal 1723 S Towers+Center. From what I've read so far they are supposed to be really good for movies. Currently using Dali Oberon 7 as fronts which is just over a year old. :) I already have someone interested in the Dali's.
I don't know a lot about Dali but those Arendals look like some pretty special speakers, so I'd say you have your bases covered there!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is one topic that I have brought up before also.

Whether it is 2Ch or 32CH, I think most of us can agree that the salient speakers are the MAIN FRONTS and subs.

So is it even "necessary" to EQ every single surround speaker on the floor and up the ceiling? :D
That's kinda where I'm at too. Of course I want all of my speakers to be integrated, but I do take special care with the mains and subs. I measure and adjust for those, but just kinda leave the rest where it's at. As long as my music is good and accurate I'm good. I don't need my whizzing bullets and breaking glass to be perfect to enjoy a movie or show, but when my music is off I can tell.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...I don't need my whizzing bullets and breaking glass to be perfect to enjoy a movie...
Exactly.

But the Surround speakers actually already sound perfect without spending $20K to EQ all the surround speakers. :D

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for that but I've already known that the X8500H has the ability to disconnect the individual channel internal power amps. I was asking if the Anthem has that ability as well.

Besides I've since changed my options to the X6700H vs the MRX1140 since the X6700H actually meets my requirements.

As for the StormAudio I think I should keep my senses and scratch it off my list. With a price difference of about $7K compared to the Denon/Anthem I doubt it'll sound $7K better.

I have the 8500. Perfectly content with it. Only use the receiver to power the 4 Atmos channels. All other amps are off and the respective speakers powered by ATI amps. I’d love a Trinnov, but just can’t justify the $$$$$. I know it’s not going to sound $$$$$ much better than what I have now. I briefly had an HTP-1 and sent it back after a few issues.

And still, the 8500 measures better than all of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
I briefly had an HTP-1 and sent it back after a few issues.
What issues did you have with the htp-1? How did it sound vs the 8500? Would you have kept it minus the issues?? Looking at the 8500 and htp-1 personally. Like to get more of your thoughts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis