Anthem MRX 1140 vs Denon AVR-X8500H

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are your expectations above and beyond what the 3700 is capable of? It's a very capable receiver on its own and is fairly feature rich. I wouldn't expect any bump in perfomance as far as sound quality goes. Seems like it would be a lateral move to me.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Well, I have found out something about myself. I have an insatiable itch to tinker, learn and solve. The Trinnov scratches that itch very satisfactorily. “Each” of the over 16 sources has 15 different customizable steps all available using a network app. Then there is the 29 different presets that can be infinitely programmed to match your sound source, room, speakers used and listening position. It is also roon ready which is awesome.

But the decider was when I found out on this forum that all mainstream AVRs, when using room correction software, have to DOWNsampled music to 48hz because they don’t have enough processing power. So all that pursuit of 24/192 was overcome by the downsample to 48hz unless you turned off room correction. The Trinnov doesn’t. Incoming 24/96 is played at 24/96–no down sampling to 48hz.

So, yes at this point, it is very satisfying knowing my music isn’t getting downsampled. Plus if I don’t like the sound of something I just go into the network app and on the fly tweak my target curve by speaker, or crossovers, or PEQs added per speaker OR per driver on each speaker. Still learning. I can make it sound better or worse than my denon. So far its awesome. But of course that could just be the little boy inside me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Planning to upgrade to a 9.2.4 HT setup. Can't decide between the Anthem MRX 1140 vs Denon AVR-X8500H. Not exactly the same specs and price point but so far have narrowed my picks to these 2. Thanks.
What disc or streaming service content carries 9.2.4 channels of information? Why are you doing this?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
What disc or streaming service content carries 9.2.4 channels of information? Why are you doing this?
9 ear level speakers which includes the wides. Not definite yet but I thought I might as well try it. Got the idea after watching episode 45 of Home Theater Gurus youtube videos.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
What are your expectations above and beyond what the 3700 is capable of? It's a very capable receiver on its own and is fairly feature rich. I wouldn't expect any bump in perfomance as far as sound quality goes. Seems like it would be a lateral move to me.
Nothing definite yet re the upgrade so that's why I posted this question to get advice and opinions. But if I do get a Denon again I might just choose the X6700H instead of the X8500H. So now I'm actually just choosing between the X6700H vs the MRX1140. The upgrade will be more for the features if ever.
The one thing I like about the Denon is that it has Auro 3D while in the MRX1140 it's the flexibility to do calibrations using ARC. I'm just at a lost on which one to choose if I do decide to upgrade. If only the MRX1140 also had Auro 3D hands down I would choose it right away coz I really do wanna try other brands other than Denon.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Have you used the Audyssey xt32 App? I found its ability to customize target curves very satisfying.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Have you used the Audyssey xt32 App? I found its ability to customize target curves very satisfying.

Yep downloaded it and used it. But had to use Ratbuddyssey app ( with Peng's help ) since it's quite hard to use fingers to manipulate the curves on the editor app. Plus I use REW + the miniDsp 2X4 HD to integrate my 3 subs while also making my own house curve. Below is my FR with NO smoothing.
Also I'm quite curious as to how Anthem ARC works and if it's as good as they say it is similar to Dirac.
July 25 FR.jpg

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
You should probably read the avs forum owner’s thread for AVM 70/90. I believe ARC was one of the biggest issues. At least early on. I do not know if it has been fixed.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
You should probably read the avs forum owner’s thread for AVM 70/90. I believe ARC was one of the biggest issues. At least early on. I do not know if it has been fixed.

I'm leaning towards the MRX1140 and not the Anthem prepros if ever I get the them. Yeah I've read them and so far they have all been good. Almost if not all bugs have been fixed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm leaning towards the MRX1140 and not the Anthem prepros if ever I get the them. Yeah I've read them and so far they have all been good. Almost if not all bugs have been fixed.
Another factor to consider is customer service. I would call each company (Anthem, Denon, Yamaha, etc.) and ask customer support what you would have to do if your unit malfunctioned.

How much would you have to spend to for shipping? Is there a local shop?

For example, Yamaha normally will email you a pre-paid shipping label to ship to Yamaha. They may even ship you a free box if you loss your box.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep but if I decide to do an Auro 3D setup 13 speakers is what's needed.

View attachment 51550
Everyone has to decide what works best for them.

But based on my experience with overhead surround sound, I think even 2 ceiling speakers would be more effective than ONE overhead speaker and 4 height speakers. So I would think 4 in-ceiling speakers are better than one overhead speaker and 4 height speakers.

To me, the only reason to have height speakers is if you can't install in-ceiling speakers. But you gotta do what you feel is best. :D

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I love listening to music using the auromatic upmixer. I meant to mention the absence of auro 3d as a negative for the anthem.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I love listening to music using the auromatic upmixer. I meant to mention the absence of auro 3d as a negative for the anthem.

That's the main negative thing about the Anthem.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Everyone has to decide what works best for them.

But based on my experience with overhead surround sound, I think even 2 ceiling speakers would be more effective than ONE overhead speaker and 4 height speakers. So I would think 4 in-ceiling speakers are better than one overhead speaker and 4 height speakers.

To me, the only reason to have height speakers is if you can't install in-ceiling speakers. But you gotta do what you feel is best. :D
I've been reading and seeing a lot of convinced users about how good the auromatic upmixer sounds. More immersive. Even way better than how Dolby Atmos sounds. Thus the interest in Auro 3D.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been reading and seeing a lot of convinced users about how good the auromatic upmixer sounds. More immersive. Even way better than how Dolby Atmos sounds. Thus the interest in Auro 3D.
So your main interest is the DSP upmixer, not the actual discrete Atmos vs discrete Auro3D vs discrete DTSX?

Most contents are for Atmos, very little are DTSX, and nothing for Auro3D in the North America.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It’s worth noting in Monolith/Ati implementation in the HTP-1, you cannot do a true Auro speaker setup while you can use auromatic to, reportedly, very good effect.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another factor to consider is customer service. I would call each company (Anthem, Denon, Yamaha, etc.) and ask customer support what you would have to do if your unit malfunctioned.

How much would you have to spend to for shipping? Is there a local shop?

For example, Yamaha normally will email you a pre-paid shipping label to ship to Yamaha. They may even ship you a free box if you loss your box.
I've had great service from Denon and Marantz. They sent me a calibration mic for free when my original got chewed by my puppy.

Well, Denon did that. I've had my Marantz for 5 years now and never had a hint of a problem. My Denon before that I had for almost ten years with no problems. It's still in service at my neighbor's as a matter of fact.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I saw one of those mics on sale in eBay for $60. That was very nice of Denon. Gained a lifelong customer too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis