Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG - has anyone measured the THD+N of the Digital Processing done by Dirac, Trinnov, ARC, Audyssey?
I don't remember seeing any such measurements. It will be a complicated thing to do because it would depend on the magnitude of the cuts and boosts applied. You just bring up any point about how silly it is for the believers (and those who believe them) who thought they heard night and day difference between brands even if pure direct mode at low level listening, yet they would use their favorite REQ that obviously would have affected THD+N a lot more than the -70 dB vs -95 dB THD+N due to the brand's design, build and implementation. For those people, it really shouldn't matter if THD+N is 10% or 0.001% (okay I may be exaggerating a little:)). All it matters could be to give them the REQ that they trust. To some, you can probably give them a fake REQ, say with a Trinnov UI, but in the background it would run Audyssey, or just some sort of tone control lol, and they would still use all sorts of adjectives to describe the superior sound quality they thought they had..:D

That being said, I am still disappointed with Yamaha's repeat inconsistent performance on THD+N that Gene discovered when measuring the A6A or was it the A8A? Totally not an audible thing I presume as Gene didn't even mentioned/showed it in his follow up video, but it made me wonder what's going on with their engineering and quality control departments.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I was asking about a comparaison because until now all I have read about different room correction systems are they are better than others, doing it wrong, etc...

So as I will stick with my plan to give a try on the RX-A8A, if there are some better alternatives to the embedded room correction settings from YPAO I may want to give it a try too. But it seems it's not that easy than having frequence measures and then entering EQ settings per channel I think...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was asking about a comparaison because until now all I have read about different room correction systems are they are better than others, doing it wrong, etc...

So as I will stick with my plan to give a try on the RX-A8A, if there are some better alternatives to the embedded room correction settings from YPAO I may want to give it a try too. But it seems it's not that easy than having frequence measures and then entering EQ settings per channel I think...
As PENG mentioned, there aren't ANY MEASUREMENTS comparing the THD+N or SNR of one AUTO Room EQ to another.

But based on experience, we know that nothing usually measures as well as PURE DIRECT mode. And any kind of PROCESSING (EQ or DSP) will result in poorer measurements compared to DIRECT mode.

So for all we know all these AUTO ROOM EQ could be producing THD+N of 1%, 2%, etc. For all we know all these Auto Room EQ could make everything sound like TUBE amps - all warm and fuzzy at 10% THD+N. :D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
These last 30 minutes at the job seem to last hours...
Oooh yeah!! Dude! Have you done the research on that A8A? That thing is a beast!! Has ESS Pro chips for all channels. You gotta post up photo and your thoughts when you get it setup. Check for update, My A4A came with 1.14 out the box.Wasn't till the next day Yamaha sent a update for 1.22. And do it over the internet, took about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I have a A6A on the way should have it by late this week or early next!!!Expecting/hoping for a improvement over my 2050!!From looking at the web editor looks like Yamaha is sort of copying Anthem's MRX line in terms of UI???Hoping sound will be likewise??To those that are using these AVR's enjoy!!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
OMG. First try in stereo (bi amp on stereo). I got punched in the face.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have a A6A on the way should have it by late this week or early next!!!Expecting/hoping for a improvement over my 2050!!From looking at the web editor looks like Yamaha is sort of copying Anthem's MRX line in terms of UI???Hoping sound will be likewise??To those that are using these AVR's enjoy!!
Post up photos, thoughts when you get it set up. We need as much info from actual owners.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sound will be likewise?

Yes. Sound will be the same in DIRECT MODE if the signal is 100% UNPROCESSED.

But if you PROCESS the pure sound through the Auto EQ meat grinder, it will come out sounding very DIFFERENTLY.

So which PROCESSING will sound better? It’s personal preference.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Lol, make sure you have (ECO) in settings off.
If it’s sounding that good with eco mode ON I don’t care.
I don’t want to stop listening to music to check right now. The Suntory Whisky bottle is empty, I have a blast (re)discovering my B&W704. Don’t care about Sinad anymore. In stereo pure direct, I finally after almost thirty years get the sound I was looking for after listening to music in a hifi shop in Montpellier, France because my girlfriend step father was the owner. It has been a long journey to be able to feel again the sound that way.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't remember seeing any such measurements. It will be a complicated thing to do because it would depend on the magnitude of the cuts and boosts applied. You just bring up any point about how silly it is for the believers (and those who believe them) who thought they heard night and day difference between brands even if pure direct mode at low level listening, yet they would use their favorite REQ that obviously would have affected THD+N a lot more than the -70 dB vs -95 dB THD+N due to the brand's design, build and implementation. For those people, it really shouldn't matter if THD+N is 10% or 0.001% (okay I may be exaggerating a little:)). All it matters could be to give them the REQ that they trust. To some, you can probably give them a fake REQ, say with a Trinnov UI, but in the background it would run Audyssey, or just some sort of tone control lol, and they would still use all sorts of adjectives to describe the superior sound quality they thought they had..:D

That being said, I am still disappointed with Yamaha's repeat inconsistent performance on THD+N that Gene discovered when measuring the A6A or was it the A8A? Totally not an audible thing I presume as Gene didn't even mentioned/showed it in his follow up video, but it made me wonder what's going on with their engineering and quality control departments.
@gene is there a way to compare the THD+N measurements of Pure Direct Mode vs. Auto-EQ done by Dirac or Trinnov?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If it’s sounding that good with eco mode ON I don’t care.
I don’t want to stop listening to music to check right now. The Suntory Whisky bottle is empty, I have a blast (re)discovering my B&W704. Don’t care about Sinad anymore. In stereo pure direct, I finally after almost thirty years get the sound I was looking for after listening to music in a hifi shop in Montpellier, France because my girlfriend step father was the owner. It has been a long journey to be able to feel again the sound that way.
When you do get into your settings, I highly recommend you set (Eco) to off. With it on it limits power at the rails. After I did the update that's the first thing I set to off, when you do, your AVR will turn off and than back on. Gene has a Video on his YouTube channel on that very thing of turning off the ECO mode. Anyways, the worm has turned for you man! Feeling good is good enough! ;)

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
@PENG, as usual in

When you do get into your settings, I highly recommend you set (Eco) to off. With it on it limits power at the rails. After I did the update that's the first thing I set to off, when you do, your AVR will turn off and than back on. Gene has a Video on his YouTube channel on that very thing of turning off the ECO mode. Anyways, the worm has turned for you man! Feeling good is good enough! ;)
Firmware 1.22 update done. Eco mode is OFF by default. Can’t stop laughing how this sounds good. Didn’t tried YPAO yet.

Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
Firmware 1.22 update done. Eco mode is OFF by default. Can’t stop laughing how this sounds good. Didn’t tried YPAO yet.
Can you please comment on the temperature of this unit after an evening of enjoying it? I know the flagship Denon and Marantz models run hot and was wondering if the A8A was anything like them.

I can’t decide between the A8A and the A6A and am trying looking for anything to help me decide.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Can you please comment on the temperature of this unit after an evening of enjoying it? I know the flagship Denon and Marantz models run hot and was wondering if the A8A was anything like them.

I can’t decide between the A8A and the A6A and am trying looking for anything to help me decide.
Can’t upload any pictures (wtf is wrong with files size) but the max temp my FLIR one can check after 4 hours of music at 80-90db and now running 7.0.0 movie for more than half an hour is 102F
Édit: so far after testing stereo, YPAO, surround AI I am more than impressed by this amp. Just while writing this I was thinking : waoooow my speakers can do that ?!? (Star Wars ;) )

Attachments

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Can’t upload any pictures (wtf is wrong with files size) but the max temp my FLIR one can check after 4 hours of music at 80-90db and now running 7.0.0 movie for more than half an hour is 102F
I've had to crop some of my photos to be able to upload try that if you can. Try out the (Enhancer) settings in your, (Option) settings, click that to on and put (HI-Res Mode) on also. Then go to (Net Radio) find (Chill & Smooth Jazz) station. I have my A4A set to 2.1 for music. YPAO set to on Adaptive DRC set to off. Volume Trim, Subwoofer Trim set to +1.5db. The clarity is ungodly clear almost 3D like.
IMG_20211108_213515586~2.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis