Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@3d, yeah I miss the orange display was a lot easier for me to see. Guess like Gene would say, always gonna be some tradeoffs with this hobby.
I been eye balling the A4A ever since it was announced, ask Andrew I've bugged the hell out of him to try and get me one. He did say October November. I jumped on the A2A, and one week later Andrew texted me saying his distributor had the A4A in stock so I boxed up the A2A sent it back to Amazon for refund. All total turn around was 13 day's. Can't say enough about @AcuDefTechGuy aka Andrew, great guy even better friend and dealer. Dude has saved me a ton on gear, speakers.

Last edited:
Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Dude, your gonna love that Beast!! My A4A just came in today. All good No issues, no CEC issues, no audio or video dropouts. I did take the Hood off to do a look see, it's jam packed in there! The OSD is easy to use, tons of settings if you choose to mess with. I tried to upload some pics, but can't there to big and I can't resize because all I have is a smartphone.
What TV are you using? I am having a lot of audio drop outs using eARC with my LG C9. I have swapped cables, I really think its the TV but its weird.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Funny you mentioned eARC, My tv is new nothing fancy or even high end but it's good Hisense. When fired everything up, ran though setup, was going through everything, the last thing I tested was TV audio return back to AVR, had no audio at all nothing. Went umm, went back into audio settings in tv, did a audio reset back to when it came out the box. Turn everything off. Powered everything on with tv remote, once everything was dailed in, AVR had audio from tv. Audio the only thing I'm guessing here is the tv didn't recognize or glitch ARC to AVR. Maybe do a rest for audio and or for HDMI in settings in your tv? Check in settings on your AVR make sure HDMI Control is set to on, ARC set to on and Standby Sync is set to Auto.
Also check make sure in settings on your AVR, that HDMI Out 1, is set to Control Sync. That is what mine is set to. I also have HDMI Out 2 set to on.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@Padinn , I had Vizio's, and they drove me nuts with CEC issues. I would lose audio switching between sources. It got so bad I had to do a hard reset a few times a month sometime 3 or 4 a week.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Funny you mentioned eARC, My tv is new nothing fancy or even high end but it's good Hisense. When fired everything up, ran though setup, was going through everything, the last thing I tested was TV audio return back to AVR, had no audio at all nothing. Went umm, went back into audio settings in tv, did a audio reset back to when it came out the box. Turn everything off. Powered everything on with tv remote, once everything was dailed in, AVR had audio from tv. Audio the only thing I'm guessing here is the tv didn't recognize or glitch ARC to AVR. Maybe do a rest for audio and or for HDMI in settings in your tv? Check in settings on your AVR make sure HDMI Control is set to on, ARC set to on and Standby Sync is set to Auto.
Also check make sure in settings on your AVR, that HDMI Out 1, is set to Control Sync. That is what mine is set to. I also have HDMI Out 2 set to on.
Where is this setting "Also check make sure in settings on your AVR, that HDMI Out 1, is set to Control Sync. That is what mine is set to. "? I have the rest set the same.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Where is this setting "Also check make sure in settings on your AVR, that HDMI Out 1, is set to Control Sync. That is what mine is set to. "? I have the rest set the same.
As soon as you click the settings button on your remote it's on the left side of the curser middle of your remote. You will see on your tv (OSD) setup, than scroll down to you see Video/HDMI click on that, than scroll down to HDMI control click that, make sure HDMI Control is set to on, ARC set to on and Standby Sync set to Auto. Than right under HDMI control you'll see HDMI audio output, click that, you should see HDMI out 1 control Sync it should be (greyed out) under that you'll see HDMI Out2 I set mine to on, I believe it was set to off. I just like both 1 and 2 on. HDMI Zone Out is set to off on mine no need for it. As you go through those settings to the right you'll see explanations of what each one does when turned on and off read those.

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Whe I get my new A8a, should I attach all the speaker cable directly to both speakers and receiver, bare cable. Or use banana plug. I thing I have read that cheap banana plugs are garbage but good ones are better than bare wire. What do you guys thing? Thanks in advance

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I myself don't use banana plugs. To me just one more link in a chain to break. But I have used them in the past. I just use 12AWG strip off the ends twist them tight bolt them down tight I don't mess with my units that much anymore in the back once it's set up.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whe I get my new A8a, should I attach all the speaker cable directly to both speakers and receiver, bare cable. Or use banana plug. I thing I have read that cheap banana plugs are garbage but good ones are better than bare wire. What do you guys thing? Thanks in advance
If you like clean termination on the wire, do it. If you might be connecting and disconnecting frequently, do it.

For signal quality, the only concern either way is making certain you have a good connection.

FWIW, I use the Monoprice Affinity Banana Plugs.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
If you like clean termination on the wire, do it. If you might be connecting and disconnecting frequently, do it.

For signal quality, the only concern either way is making certain you have a good connection.

FWIW, I use the Monoprice Affinity Banana Plugs.
Does the quality change from bare to banana though? Or the same, just the preference

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Does the quality change from bare to banana though? Or the same, just the preference
Your only risk is a loose connection, either way. of course with bare cable, you always run the risk of a stray wire poking out.

If you shop Banana Plugs, some will insist on the locking variety. I don't have any problem with mine not locking... and monoprice has them available in 90º and straight, and they have dual opposed set screws that make very tight secure connection to the cable.

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
Great banana plug recommendations ^. I use a similar style plug by Kabeldirekt.

Signal quality does not change with or without banana plugs. They exist for convenience, cleanliness and cable management. I use them on the AVR but not on speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those 90º ones are great for the back of speakers, not so much behind the AVR.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Your only risk is a loose connection, either way. of course with bare cable, you always run the risk of a stray wire poking out.

If you shop Banana Plugs, some will insist on the locking variety. I don't have any problem with mine not locking... and monoprice has them available in 90º and straight, and they have dual opposed set screws that make very tight secure connection to the cable.
I have used these ones in the past

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9436

Are these any good?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Those 90º ones are great for the back of speakers, not so much behind the AVR.
Hey, what bananas are you using. I got to admit I have been looking at some. It sure is a time saver for sure. Been looking at the Mediabridge bananas with the cables there soldered. Umm 29 bucks for umm 12'.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha just sent a update for my RX-A4A, 1.22 said for power issues, bug fixes on their website. I haven't noticed anything different not yet anyways.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, what bananas are you using. I got to admit I have been looking at some. It sure is a time saver for sure. Been looking at the Mediabridge bananas with the cables there soldered. Umm 29 bucks for umm 12'.
I use those Monoprice ones. No soldering. Putting them together is a meditative act.
:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis