Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
"As of right now everything on my RX-A2A is working as it should. " If you aren't doing 4k 120Hz HDR with VRR you can't know if the amp is managing properly hdmi 2.1 @48Gbps...
I had so many issue while wiring from my PC to my TV that I know it will be hard for any AVR to properly handle the bit rate. I use a 500$ Fibercommand optical cable and it's not even working perfectly, I still have some signal loss which when playing is a little bit concerning... So the new Yamaha lineup with a lot of emphasis on their full hdmi 2.1 support was the most important factor with the fact I know Yamaha is building reliable amps. But will the new lineup any good, I still have to see...

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Not correct. New Onkyo's seem to work fine, without bigger hiccups.

That is not warrantied. Waiting for HDMI board exchange for more than a year already does not build trust and confidence.
Keyword, (seems). Not enough out there yet on that Onkyo. Hopefully it does what it says it will do.

sollyemmy

sollyemmy

Enthusiast
I reached out to the B&Hphotovideo via chat about the backorder as i was told that the latest would be Oct 15th when this will be shipped. I have a 7.1.2 setup done in my basement and waiting on an AVR for the last 2+ months (this will be my first AVR) to listen to my system and enjoy it. Should i get some temporary AVR or something for now to atleast use my system or just wait another month or so. I know this is due to the shipping and pandemic related issues but man I already waited 6+ months for my JTR Cap Sub and now this delay. Its been a total year since i first placed my order for the first piece of equipment for HT and i have everything setup and installed except for the AVR and it seems pointless without it as i never got to hear the full system.

Here is the response from the rep and I know thats the best they can at this time so i am ok with it since its been chaotic with the container ships and backlogs and shipping logistics:

"Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any concrete information from the manufacturer as to when we will have these units in stock.

I wish I had more detailed information for you but at this time that is all that we know. We will continue to be in touch with the manufacturer for a status of this unit and keep you updated via email periodically.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Please be assured your order will be shipped to you as soon as we receive stock and we will email you the tracking information once it is shipped.

We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
"

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
"As of right now everything on my RX-A2A is working as it should. " If you aren't doing 4k 120Hz HDR with VRR you can't know if the amp is managing properly hdmi 2.1 @48Gbps...
I had so many issue while wiring from my PC to my TV that I know it will be hard for any AVR to properly handle the bit rate. I use a 500$ Fibercommand optical cable and it's not even working perfectly, I still have some signal loss which when playing is a little bit concerning... So the new Yamaha lineup with a lot of emphasis on their full hdmi 2.1 support was the most important factor with the fact I know Yamaha is building reliable amps. But will the new lineup any good, I still have to see...
As of (Now) performance of my RX-A2A is good No issues. No one knows how the rest will perform until the updates are released. I've stated before in other post, I do not do PS5, XBox and or need 2.1, No need for it on my end. That's something other's will have to chime in about when the update's are implemented by Yamaha. I never stated in any post or thread that My RX-A2A was using the 2.1. Those who know that 2.1 on the Aventage line isn't available yet until updates.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
As of (Now) performance of my RX-A2A is good No issues. No one knows how the rest will perform until the updates are released. I've stated before in other post, I do not do PS5, XBox and or need 2.1, No need for it on my end. That's something other's will have to chime in about when the update's are implemented by Yamaha. I never stated in any post or thread the My RX-A2A was using the 2.1. Those who know that 2.1 on the Aventage line isn't available yet until updates.
Yes I know

I am waiting for audio quality review and then will wait for the infamous “firmware update”

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I know

I am waiting for audio quality review and then will wait for the infamous “firmware update”
Yeah, hopefully if and when. I do agree, updates are what they are. I do get it though, I was very hesitant on buying any new AVR from any brand because of the reported chip issues back before any where released. I came very close to just getting a refurbished, but after talking it over with Andrew, and a few others it just made sense to get the A2A since I don't do gaming and or need 2.1. But the 5 year warranty and the fact it is a 2021 model was in my case a no brainer. Others I'm sure will disagree. It is comforting to know that this model is covered till 2026.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
If you aren't doing 4k 120Hz HDR with VRR you can't know if the amp is managing properly hdmi 2.1 @48Gbps...
V4A, V6A and A2A operate at 18 Gbps now (HDMI 2.0b). Owners who decide to replace boards will have HDMI 2.1 chips operating at 24 Gbps. That is the design speed on these models, which Yamaha did not want to tell us publicly for one year, until challenged by tech community and Rasmus Larsen from FlatPanelsHD.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have two Sons who both have PS4 Pro units, including their two sons. They all game online big time. Between them they have so many games I've lost count. Those who have 2.1, 4K 120, TVs plus PS5 and or
XBox I'm sure are going to love using the 2.1. But both of my Son's have Sony's high-end 4K TVs alone with 7.2 setup's. I've asked both if they are interested in the newest PS5 and the use of 2.1. Both answered they won't be upgrading anytime soon for it. I'm sure many will after all it is the latest and greatest as of now. I myself have absolutely no use for 2.1.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I'm sure many will after all it is the latest and greatest as of now.
It is the latest, but not the greatest. The transitional period in the industry is littered with bugs, disfunctional chips, boards, speed and features. Only a handful of companies have managed to get HDMI 2.1 almost fully operational so far:
1. Sources: XboxSX, Nvidia 3000 and AMD 6000 GPUs
2. Pass through - Onkyo/Pioneer and new models (May 2021) of Denon/Marantz
3. Sink: LG 2019-2021 TVs and rare models of Samsung and Sony.
I might haver forgotten one or two. PC world is to follow in 2022-2023 big time - monitors, CPUs and laptops.
Here is what is known so far about AVRs and AV processors.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It is the latest, but not the greatest. The transitional period in the industry is littered with bugs, disfunctional chips, boards, speed and features. Only a handful of companies have managed to get HDMI 2.1 almost fully operational so far:
1. Sources: XboxSX, Nvidia 3000 and AMD 6000 GPUs
2. Pass through - Onkyo/Pioneer and new models (May 2021) of Denon/Marantz
3. Sink: LG 2019-2021 TVs and rare models of Samsung and Sony.
I might haver forgotten one or two. PC world is to follow in 2022-2023 big time - monitors, CPUs and laptops.
Here is what is known so far about AVRs and AV processors.
Thanks for that article very informative!!;) I'll go back and read up some more. But dam, talk about a mess!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I made an off hand comment on one gene's newer videos about the impedance setting on the new Yamaha receivers and got a couple of replies...

Screenshot_2021-10-17-07-25-32-1_copy_500x666.png

I actually thought the first comment was a joke... These guys must have no idea what Audioholics is about. I'm wondering if we're gonna see a power cord thread soon... lol.

Oh, here's the video.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So I made an off hand comment on one gene's newer videos about the impedance setting on the new Yamaha receivers and got a couple of replies...

View attachment 50871

I actually thought the first comment was a joke... These guys must have no idea what Audioholics is about. I'm wondering if we're gonna see a power cord thread soon... lol.

Oh, here's the video.

You are one evil bastard!!!!!
I love it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

View attachment 50876

Oh, here's the video.

1634481818020.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Me after challenging them to start a thread:

*refresh "new posts"* *refresh "new posts"* *refresh new posts* *refresh "new posts"*...

:p :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just getting caught up on this thread and Im happy to report that I never used the bass boost period. My mains are capable of digging down to 30Hz which covers most music so I either set them to large sans sub or small+sub. Gene is correct in saying that the mains should always dictate the rest of the speaker size settings. I've always worked in that paradigm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, done that before. Will say the a8 is a slightly different platform (different DAC I believe) so can't say it would be identical issues. It does sound a lot better than my previous low end receiver to my undiscerning ears, so may just keep it. To be honest, im not even educated enough to understand the issues Gene mentioned from a technical perspective.
Yeah, it comes down to ACTUAL real life sound quality vs state of the art (SOTA) lab measurements.

For example, we won't hear 0.1% THD+N, but that would be considered "poor" measurement.

Yamaha will likely address these measurements to make them SOTA. But we won't hear a difference in real life whether THD+N is 0.1% vs 0.0001%.

Like you said, you have a choice of keeping it because it sounds great in real life or returning it and waiting for those SOTA measurement.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I want to make one other comment that Gene made about Yamaha's "nanny" features. I do agree with him on the premise that the manuals that Yamaha produces really REALLY suck (insert object of your choice here). I ran across bass boost on my RX-A3060 but left it off because the entry in the manual contained no useful information. I also scoured the Internet (half ass attempt) but found very little about it until Gene did the measurementss that illustrated what was going on. BTW, thanks for that Gene!!!

The ACD test are a non real event as far as Im concerned. Yamaha being so conservative in protecting their products in the "hands of the stupid " never prevented me from going into the mid 90s db and still achieving clear clean sound.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Oooh thank you for having written “nanny”. I heard Gene speaking of this and as a non English native speaker I didn’t got the right meaning while understanding it was related to Yamaha being really conservative. It’s light Gene post with “RN”. Was looking for audiophile acronym while it seems to be “right now”

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis