Monoprice Monolith 13" THX Ultra Subwoofer Review

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that's the SX. Different drivers. Still reviewed great tho.

image (9).jpeg

*Edit- in the image below, the driver on the right is the one they use in the SV 1212NR. The one on the left is from the S series.

image (10).jpeg

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do they? I saw one for the SX 1212 and the on the SVTR towers that come with the 1212NRs, but didn't see any measurements for just the sub. They have a couple of 1212 models and there's a pretty substantial difference between the drivers.

View attachment 49813
The SX 1212PR is the same as the SV-1212PR same performance just different cabinets also paired with the right amp the SV-1212NR is the same as the SV-1212PR same performance identical drivers port and cabinets just one has an amp and one doesn't

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SX 1212PR is the same as the SV-1212PR same performance just different cabinets also paired with the right amp the SV-1212NR is the same as the SV-1212PR same performance identical drivers port and cabinets just one has an amp and one doesn't
Check my post above. The top driver is in the SX, the bottom right is the one in the NR. It's a beefier driver.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, that's the SX. Different drivers. Still reviewed great tho.

View attachment 49815

*Edit- the driver on the right is the one they use in the SV 1212NR. The one on the left is from the S series.

View attachment 49816
The info I just gave you came from Shane himself

So the numbers for the SX 1212pr will match the SV 1212PR and the SV1212NR will match this with a powerful enough amp

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

So the numbers for the SX 1212pr will match the SV 1212PR and the SV1212NR will match this with a powerful enough amp
I got those images from the reviews they did here at AH.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

The SX and NR look pretty similar, but the drivers in the NR look bigger and beefier to me. They're what was in the subs AH reviewed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Man, I think I was talking right past you. I get what you're saying, they have equal performance. I was getting all hung up on the differences in the drivers. My bad.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man, I think I was talking right past you. I get what you're saying, they have equal performance. I was getting all hung up on the differences in the drivers. My bad.
It's all good bro that's why I talked with Shane before I purchased because like you I saw the differences. I was very happy to hear that the SV 1212NR could match the performance of the SX those are impressive numbers and in room are even better according to the review.

But having that SX review should give us a good comparison between the SV 1212's and the monoprice 13 and 16

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
This post probably doesn't belong here but there was no suitable thread in the DIY section.....

I am completely stunned by the activity going on here is Norway, one guy has a sub setup with 8 24" subwoofer drivers in 85 cubic feet cabinet and 6 15" midbass drivers, another one has subwoofer towers with 16 of the 15" Dayton sub drivers .... there is another setup with 24 of the 10" Seas L26RO4Y drivers in a double bass array setup ... now there is a new upcoming project where one of the concepts is two towers with 4 18" drivers on each side... complementing a set of Vienna Acoustics the music, which already have 6 9" bass drivers.... unreal cool :cool:

There is another one with a slot loaded open baffle set of subs where there is 10 15" drivers on each side, I believe only the subwoofer drivers cash in at above $20.000.... it's said the latter one is king of bass dynamics... :eek:

Sorry guys but The RBH sound reference towers and the large Monoprice subs seem small now ... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This post probably doesn't belong here but there was no suitable thread in the DIY section.....

I am completely stunned by the activity going on here is Norway, one guy has a sub setup with 8 24" subwoofer drivers and 6 15" midbass drivers, another one has subwoofer towers with 16 of the 15" Dayton sub drivers .... there is another setup with 24 of the 10" Seas L26RO4Y drivers in a double bass array setup ... now there is a new upcoming project where one of the concepts is two towers with 4 18" drivers on each side... complementing a set of Vienna Acoustics the music, which already have 6 9" bass drivers.... unreal cool :cool:
And you want in! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I am completely stunned by the activity going on here is Norway, one guy has a sub setup with 8 24" subwoofer drivers in 85 cubic feet cabinet and 6 15" midbass drivers, another one has subwoofer towers with 16 of the 15" Dayton sub drivers .... there is another setup with 24 of the 10" Seas L26RO4Y drivers in a double bass array setup ... now there is a new upcoming project where one of the concepts is two towers with 4 18" drivers on each side... complementing a set of Vienna Acoustics the music, which already have 6 9" bass drivers.... unreal cool :cool:

There is another one with a slot loaded open baffle set of subs where there is 10 15" drivers on each side, I believe only the subwoofer drivers cash in at above $20.000.... it's said the latter one is king of bass dynamics... :eek:

Sorry guys but The RBH sound reference towers and the large Monoprice subs seem small now ... :eek::eek::eek::eek:
How DARE you sir... describe all of that awesomeness to a bunch of bassaholics and not provide a single pic!

Shame... SHAME on you!

:p :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
How DARE you sir... describe all of that awesomeness to a bunch of bassaholics and not provide a single pic!

Shame... SHAME on you!

LOL …. I will correct the mistake sir :D
Hold on to your tinfoil hats … I will make a new thread then with photos

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's all good bro that's why I talked with Shane before I purchased because like you I saw the differences. I was very happy to hear that the SV 1212NR could match the performance of the SX those are impressive numbers and in room are even better according to the review.

But having that SX review should give us a good comparison between the SV 1212's and the monoprice 13 and 16
Agreed. Tho I do like knowing the drivers are even beefier in the SV/NR, even if it doesn't mean a boost in performance. I can enjoy a good placebo effect with a side of confirmation bias just like anyone else! :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed. Tho I do like knowing the drivers are even beefier in the SV/NR, even if it doesn't mean a boost in performance. I can enjoy a good placebo effect with a side of confirmation bias just like anyone else! :p
if you believe it’s better then it’s better I guess …. The point is to enjoy ourselves with music:cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Shame... SHAME on you!

You can check here, happy now?

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thread bump the new monoprice 16 ultra that's shipping middle of next month has on there site an option now for the matte black finish. That finish looks niiiiicccce Youthman had one on his review on YouTube of the 13.

The price is like 300 more just 200 under there M-215 monoprice must be pretty confident in the 16 to price it that close to the 215 for that special finish

Man Shady really getting squirrelly on the data for that 16 you got! :D

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
They might be coming out with new towers too which I really want to consider if they look good and depending on dimensions.
It is a good question in the 16 vs the M-215 ( I have the M-215 and like it)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
They might be coming out with new towers too which I really want to consider if they look good and depending on dimensions.
Would be really cool to hear what you get out of the M-215, do you have one single or a stereo pair? … man, those subs look unreal cool:cool:

I am thinking myself now to upscale to a stereo pair of dual 15” subs …need more cone area :D … or ideally quad 15” stereo pair :cool:
(I officially disagree with myself now, ref previous posts)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Monolith is coming out with new towers? Oh wow that's cool where did you hear that info?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis