Are These Finds Good Deals?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dang this is one powerful and maybe the prettiest subs I've seen. Would match nicely in my living room. Sigh that's a good deal. I'm glad it's far away.
View attachment 44537
I'd be curious to know if that Plate Amp is pre DSP? If SVS would support even a second tier owner by giving the DSP tuning file or metrics so one could set up a replacement Amp properly. That could be a great rehab project for the right person if the Amp were to fail.
Though truthfully, if one were willing to spend on a new Amp, you could probably just buy a new Sub. ;)
*shrugs

But I agree, their old wood veneer products look super nice. I think @William Lemmerhirt had a photo of a wood veneer PC from the past... And I think @mazersteven may have posted one somewhere of an older design in a rosewood or similar finish.

Makes me wish I could afford to have Salk build me cabinets to my specs with their custom dyed veneers!!! Or even just his finished Rythmik builds. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if @mixlsplitz1 ever got a reply? I think those 3.0 RBH SEs look like a good deal, even if the seller doesn't want to come down. Tho $350 would be even better!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, there are apparently some hifi shops within reasonable driving distance from me. This guy has a lot of used gear. Nice used gear.

00v0v_2geV91Qesvhz_0CI0pO_1200x900_copy_600x400.jpg

I wouldn't mind having that stack! Both of these ads look like they have quite a bit of inventory for speakers too. Check these bad boys out...

00R0R_57oyABHC1Pk_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I mean, not my cup of tea per se, but it looks like he has some more contemporary speakers too.

I might call and see if I need an appointment or if I can just show up and look around. I haven't been to an actual hifi shop in ages, even if it is all second hand gear.

M

mixlsplitz1

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if @mixlsplitz1 ever got a reply? I think those 3.0 RBH SEs look like a good deal, even if the seller doesn't want to come down. Tho $350 would be even better!
Sadly, no. I'm still looking. I might just finance a new pair of speakers. I've been looking and the svs ultra and paradigm 200b. I'll look for another week or so for a good deal on some used ones.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Man, there are apparently some hifi shops within reasonable driving distance from me. This guy has a lot of used gear. Nice used gear.

View attachment 44564

I wouldn't mind having that stack! Both of these ads look like they have quite a bit of inventory for speakers too. Check these bad boys out...

View attachment 44556

I mean, not my cup of tea per se, but it looks like he has some more contemporary speakers too.

I might call and see if I need an appointment or if I can just show up and look around. I haven't been to an actual hifi shop in ages, even if it is all second hand gear.
That's the spot that sells "high end" and vintage stuff... I think they are at the 17 and Indian school.. There's another guy in Maricopa.. I think both places deal more to high end ego rather than high end sound , but that's just my take...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Man, there are apparently some hifi shops within reasonable driving distance from me. This guy has a lot of used gear. Nice

Check out the Snell MC towers

M

mixlsplitz1

Audioholic Intern
Could someone recommend a good pair of universal speaker stands that are fillable? If I end up getting a new pair of bookshelves I'm not really keen on spending another 4-500 bucks on the stands to go with.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
@ryanosaur has done some homework on Monitor Audio and really liked the newer silver series speakers. They are asking 500 for this pair. What say you, Ryan? Are those one of the good ones? Owner is in Scottsdale, the Richie Rich neighborhood, lol.

I'm late in responding, but $500 is too much for those. I bought a used pair from a local dealer, about 12 years ago, for $480. $500 might be reasonable for the more recent version, the RS6, or the more recent still RX6, but it's too much for the older S6. Somewhere closer to $300 is more reasonable.

I sold my S6 about 10 years ago for $420 via San Diego Craigslist.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I think the S6 was the previous generation to what is current. Well regarded, but improved upon in the current iteration.
(I'm still surprised they haven't updated the Silver line considering the Gold and now Bronze has been refreshed over the last 2 yrs.)
Hmmm... as I look closer at the photos in your link, that doesn't look right:
The S6 may be an older model than the Silver 6...
there's this undated review, but the pic looks to be a match:
And here:
And this:

I'd pass.
The S6 came before the RS6, which came before the RX6, which came before the Silver 6, which came before the current lineup. The Silver 200 is the closest in the current lineup.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sadly, no. I'm still looking. I might just finance a new pair of speakers. I've been looking and the svs ultra and paradigm 200b. I'll look for another week or so for a good deal on some used ones.
I'm tempted to message the sob myself!

I really loved my Ultra speakers. I'd be willing to bet those 61-SEs sre right in league with the Ultra books tho.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I'm late in responding, but $500 is too much for those. I bought a used pair from a local dealer, about 12 years ago, for $480. $500 might be reasonable for the more recent version, the RS6, or the more recent still RX6, but it's too much for the older S6. Somewhere closer to $300 is more reasonable.

I sold my S6 about 10 years ago for $420 via San Diego Craigslist.
That's the high rent district here.. They probably added $200 for entry into the zip code for pick up...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just sent RBH guy a text. I didn't ask if he'd come down, just if he still has them.

M

mixlsplitz1

Audioholic Intern
I really like the aesthetics of some of the vintage speakers: Kenwood kl, yamaha ns, etc. But given that they're typically 200-250 max output, I'd need a really powerful amp right? Apologies if I seem all over the place, the more I search and research the more I find and the more questions i have.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like the aesthetics of some of the vintage speakers: Kenwood kl, yamaha ns, etc. But given that they're typically 200-250 max output, I'd need a really powerful amp right? Apologies if I seem all over the place, the more I search and research the more I find and the more questions i have.
Power ratings are pretty meaningless. Sensitivity and impedance are a lot more meaningful. Speakers with higher sensitivity require less power to play louder regardless of what the power ratings are. A lot of times it's more of a melting point.

I like playing with this spl calculator. That one isn't exact, as it should really be 2.83v/m instead of 1 w/m, but it can give you a good idea the relationship between power, distance and speaker sensitivity. Most of the time you're only using a few watts, even at decent spl.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of those vintage speakers do have high sensitivity too. They were made with lower powered amps in mind.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just sent RBH guy a text. I didn't ask if he'd come down, just if he still has them.
He replied! Your move @mixlsplitz1. How do you wanna handle this? If you want to jump to pm's and give me your number I can pass it along and you guys can text it out, or are you getting cold feet..? I think they're worth a listen.

M

mixlsplitz1

Audioholic Intern
He replied! Your move @mixlsplitz1. How do you wanna handle this? If you want to jump to pm's and give me your number I can pass it along and you guys can text it out, or are you getting cold feet..? I think they're worth a listen.
No I'm definitely interested. I'll pm you my number

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis