Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, fifty-two minutes in and they told me I have an open case and should not have missed the call from them Friday. They will message the tier 2 guy and tell him I returned his call. I'll pour more coffee but first I really have to pee. Oh, good morning everybody!:)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mine is all boxed up for return of refund. Was gonna keep it but decided not to take the chance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I spoke with tier 2 guy. Yamaha is not really admitting these things are lemons and blames the banding issues on the Apple TV 4K. He wondered why anyone would want the receiver to do the 4K upscaling anyway. So, I guess it's ok if it doesn't work since my TV can do it? He suggested it might be my cables and thought the idea of everybody having issues with these units was far-fetched. After telling him about all of my devices and the different settings I used to try to get them to work, he thought I "got a dud" and told me to take it back to Costco. I will do just that and put my money toward something else. Oh, he also said that Yamaha cannot say when features like Dolby and DTS height virtualization, HDR10+, VRR, ALLM and QMS will be activated via firmware update because they are awaiting testing materials from the HDMI consortium for the HMDI 2.1 features and do not expect them until early 2021. I was not impressed with Yamaha support. The guy sounded a bit arrogant and dismissive and I wonder if every brand is going to try and sweep this HDMI 2.1 fiasco under the rug as well. Yamaha is blaming Apple and HDMI for some of it's problems. Denon and Marantz might blame the XBOX Series X or the PS5 for some of their own. So, if you get the RX-V6A/TSR-700, you better be content with it's abilities right out of the box and hope those features actually work. I would advise against it and I would also say that if you have one, take it back. Nothing says "F#%k You!" quite as nicely as "I Want My Money Back!" I'm off to Costco this afternoon. I won't take Larry this time. He'd probably try to talk me into a f#%kin' soundbar.

R

rtgordon

Audiophyte
Yamaha is not really admitting these things are lemons and blames the banding issues on the Apple TV 4K.
I used the blue skies in Red Dead Redemption 2 on xbox one x (4k HDR) to verify the banding issue. It was there when going through the V6A but not when directly connected to my TV (LG CX).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Most of the 4K TVs out there should do a better job of upscaling to 4K than any receiver.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I spoke with tier 2 guy. Yamaha is not really admitting these things are lemons and blames the banding issues on the Apple TV 4K. He wondered why anyone would want the receiver to do the 4K upscaling anyway. So, I guess it's ok if it doesn't work since my TV can do it? He suggested it might be my cables and thought the idea of everybody having issues with these units was far-fetched. After telling him about all of my devices and the different settings I used to try to get them to work, he thought I "got a dud" and told me to take it back to Costco. I will do just that and put my money toward something else. Oh, he also said that Yamaha cannot say when features like Dolby and DTS height virtualization, HDR10+, VRR, ALLM and QMS will be activated via firmware update because they are awaiting testing materials from the HDMI consortium for the HMDI 2.1 features and do not expect them until early 2021. I was not impressed with Yamaha support. The guy sounded a bit arrogant and dismissive and I wonder if every brand is going to try and sweep this HDMI 2.1 fiasco under the rug as well. Yamaha is blaming Apple and HDMI for some of it's problems. Denon and Marantz might blame the XBOX Series X or the PS5 for some of their own. So, if you get the RX-V6A/TSR-700, you better be content with it's abilities right out of the box and hope those features actually work. I would advise against it and I would also say that if you have one, take it back. Nothing says "F#%k You!" quite as nicely as "I Want My Money Back!" I'm off to Costco this afternoon. I won't take Larry this time. He'd probably try to talk me into a f#%kin' soundbar.
I shipped off my V6A today, I didn't really want to but, lets just say umm in 8 months or so I want a 8k tv, or a Apple TV. My old TSR-7790 up converts to 4K from my Cox cable box, just doesn't do Atmos or DTS-X
Gotta say guys, I'm Definitely impressed with the DTS-X Neutral. I'm looking at a Yamaha TSR-7850 refurbished for 399 it has DTS-X.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
That’s more or less my experience and thoughts with Yamaha service. They want to point at everything but the receiver as the issue. First it was the cables, telling me they were probably not certified and can’t handle the bandwidth. Never mind the fact I told them I have audioquest pearl 48 cables (true HDMI 2.1 cables). Then it was the cable length, saying it was too long. My cables are 5 feet. Next they to blamed the Apple TV 4K and told me to get a Firestick. I asked them why does the issue also happen with Xbox and PlayStation. That’s when they told me to switch out the receiver for another as I got a bad unit. But it didn’t help.

They then told me they tested a receiver with a Firestick and a 2017 model LG TV. They said it worked perfectly fine. I told them they need to check it out with a 2020 modleTV and also a gaming console. Haven’t heard back since.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I forgot to tell them about the color banding from my UBP-X800 when playing UHD discs in HDR. Maybe the Apple TV 4K crawled up the Sony’s ass.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Mine is all boxed up for return of refund. Was gonna keep it but decided not to take the chance.
I think I’m doing the same. I have a 5 year older receiver that does a better job than this and is more reliable. Can’t believe this is what it has done to but don’t feel like being a guinea pig. Wish I could says I’ll just get a Marantz or something but Onkyo is looking pretty good now. I really wanted to make this works but maybe next year. Just too many problems that should have never made it out of the factory.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I think I’m doing the same. I have a 5 year older receiver that does a better job than this and is more reliable. Can’t believe this is what it has done to but don’t feel like being a guinea pig. Wish I could says I’ll just get a Marantz or something but Onkyo is looking pretty good now. I really wanted to make this works but maybe next year. Just too many problems that should have never made it out of the factory.
I just couldn't take the chance, sent it back today. Put my TSR- 7790 back in my rack and guess what, yep 4K upscale from my Cox cable box. As soon as the funds hit back in my bank account I'll pick up a a1080. After hearing DTS-X Neutral I gotta have it!
0ADCE161-8CEA-4AA0-B113-1DDCBC43C498.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Costco didn't make a fuss over it. I told them Yamaha said I "got a dud" and that it had HDMI issues. They looked in the box to see if I actually put it back in it and gave me my money back. I noticed a fresh batch of them while I was there. Oh no you don’t Yamaha! Fool me once f#%kers...
D5E7BD3A-E3BE-485A-A8EE-1C997F45091B.jpeg

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Just for further info...

I was all ready to dismantle things and return the receiver but decided to play with it one more time and for whatever reason Dolby Atmos works fine and I've had no issues. From what I recall the ONLY change I made on the input side is to make sure my PS4 is OFF and that CEC (is that right?) that controls the signal back from the receiver/TV was turned OFF. I was getting annoyed that every time I turned the receiver or TV on the PS4 would power up.

Is it possible the receiver was confused on where the signal should come from and thought it needed to do something with the audio from the PS4 even though that input wasn't selected? It might explain the bouncing input display on the front of the AVR.

I'm going to try turning it back ON tonight and see if the problem returns.

As a bit of irony, in prep for putting the new receiver in I put in all new speaker cable with proper banana plugs on the ends and now realize the old receiver I have won't accept them if I wanted to put it back. (it has those old spring loaded clips you need to press down - Onkyo TX-SR444) - Figures...

Finally, somewhat unrelated question, the receiver has three settings for the front surround speakers/presence speakers. I have some setup up above my main fronts on some shelves to test right now but I frankly didn't notice much of a difference w/some ATMOS content (primarily some newer Star Wars and Baby Driver). I assume these should be set to FRONT HEIGHT and is the DOBLY ENABLED SP for the speakers that fire up to the ceiling and set on top of the main fronts?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Just for further info...

I was all ready to dismantle things and return the receiver but decided to play with it one more time and for whatever reason Dolby Atmos works fine and I've had no issues. From what I recall the ONLY change I made on the input side is to make sure my PS4 is OFF and that CEC (is that right?) that controls the signal back from the receiver/TV was turned OFF. I was getting annoyed that every time I turned the receiver or TV on the PS4 would power up.

Is it possible the receiver was confused on where the signal should come from and thought it needed to do something with the audio from the PS4 even though that input wasn't selected? It might explain the bouncing input display on the front of the AVR.

I'm going to try turning it back ON tonight and see if the problem returns.

As a bit of irony, in prep for putting the new receiver in I put in all new speaker cable with proper banana plugs on the ends and now realize the old receiver I have won't accept them if I wanted to put it back. (it has those old spring loaded clips you need to press down - Onkyo TX-SR444) - Figures...

Finally, somewhat unrelated question, the receiver has three settings for the front surround speakers/presence speakers. I have some setup up above my main fronts on some shelves to test right now but I frankly didn't notice much of a difference w/some ATMOS content (primarily some newer Star Wars and Baby Driver). I assume these should be set to FRONT HEIGHT and is the DOBLY ENABLED SP for the speakers that fire up to the ceiling and set on top of the main fronts?
Try out DTS-X Neutral! I found it better than Atmos for me anyways. I had to put it on mute cause I thought I was hearing people talking outside my apartment. Put it back on TrueHD ran the same scene and all I could hear was a few birds chirping than Crickets.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
"Wait, did I hear somebody say something about Yamahas. Oh, let me tell you something about the new Yamahas!" he said while pounding the s#%t out of the keyboard. Suddenly, a loud voice came from upstairs, "What the hell is going on down there?!" "I'm typing Ma!" "You runnin' a steno pool down there?" "I'm on the Audioholics forums Ma!" "Online? How the hell do they run those meetings online? How are they supposed to hand out the chips?" "No, AUDIOHOLICS MA!" "Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph, you aren't trolling those goddamn Yamaha threads again, are you?!" "I'm not a troll Ma. I'm consumer advocate!" "Oh, well look at you, Mr. Bigshot. I gotta' call my sister Gina. She thinks she's so hot because she once bumped into Connie Francis outside the Copacabana. Wait til' I tell her Ralph Nader is living in my basement. She'll flip!" "Wait, I thought your cousin Marie bumped into Connie Francis." "No, that was Gina. Marie thought she saw The Virgin Mary in her drywall. Hey Ralph, when you're done advocating for the battered consumer, do you think you could get off your ass and mow the lawn?" "OK MA!"

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well at least It measured a lil better than the a1080 on a 4 Ohm load. :rolleyes: My gut kept telling me to send my Yamaha V6A back. Plus Andrew @AcuDefTechGuy in texting between him and I no matter what plus I would state Andrew kept saying Send it Back! Everyone knows Andrew is a Big Yamaha fan, Plus after reading about the 2.1 issue even though Denon and Marantz also have 2.1 issue. Now read the test results over on ASR, WOW!, talk about a bottom feeder AVR! Glad I sent it back.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis