William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Should I use the level matching screen in the avr when setting dB level or use my spl meter
What I do is set mine so all three combined equal 75. Then it’s usually in the green, or at least close enough. Simpler than trying to get three different subs to hit the green.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you do the AVR, you would use one sub, set it lower. Switch subs, and repeat, matching the setting of the first sub. Then run again, combined, to confirm the dB at where Audyssey wants it.
This seems a clumsy way... I would try matching the dB output using the SPL meter individually, then run Audyssey with them Combined. (Perhaps start Audyssey with one Sub off, then after getting SubA set using your SPL meter, switch Subs still using Audyssey as the tone source and an SPL to match the dB output of SubB, then kick them on together to confirm with Audyssey and finish the calibration.)
If you want to follow my thought process on this, you are effectively trying to run a hack on Audyssey, imo.

Mind, I've never tried this before. ;) In my mind, I would want both Subs (A and B, split from Sub1 Out) matched and performing the same. I would not want one higher than the other, and I would want their combined output to match that of Audussey's recommendation (again, that ~73dB SPL). nce there, you would use the AVR Trim to make any further adjustments.

The kicker is that you are still using Audyssey for room correction. Even if you use REW to help integrat the Subs, or run tweeks on them through MiniDSP. You want Audyssey to be optimized within the parameters it is programmed to run so it can work it's magic. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What I do is set mine so all three combined equal 75. Then it’s usually in the green, or at least close enough. Simpler than trying to get three different subs to hit the green.
Bill has done this! :D And uses a MiniDSP 2x4. Listen to him! ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another thought is to turn off the rear sub and calibrate them as left and right. Then add the rear one and manually set its phase and spl accordingly. That won’t help eq the back sub, but who knows. It might work. That’s my next mission with the minidsp.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Bill has done this! :D And uses a MiniDSP 2x4. Listen to him! ;)
Thanks Ryan. I usually stay away from giving advice on subEQ and minidsp and all that, since I sometimes do things “my way”, and that might not be best for someone else. Lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not as flat as pogeys! But still pretty good... this one is not a finished state as the house curve knee isn’t there but you can get an idea. Pretty good to 14hz.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are probably 7 different ways to achieve this. I look at it as a hack, to get 2 subs to perform as one in Audyssey's 'ears.' My analytical brain is looking at how to trick Audyssey into treating SubA+SubB as a single unit. What hasn't been said is that this needs to most likely be done with Symmetry in mind too.
(I hate Symmetry!)
(Symmetry and Audio, in my book, is bad.)
(This is why I like Geddes technique. It is predicated on Strategic Asymmetric placement, confirmed by measurement. I also am a fan because he puts forth that the Mains are producing LF content and do not need to have subs on the front wall. When spread out, you effectively have 5 different LF sources working for you! :D )

OK: Parenthetical subtext aside. :p

@Reckel you've been given some good advice. You really just need to sit down and consider what you want to achieve. :) If it's a Deep Dive into the rabbit hole, cool. If you want to short cut til its good enough, cool too.
We will gladly help you out! Without you committing to a path, though... this is going to get more and more confusing, perhaps. ;)

P

primetimeguy

Audiophyte
Yea two up front are off one output and connected with y-splitter and rear one on other sub output. Two up front are each between 72-74db definitely not combined at 73db. Audyssey without the app set the fronts to -10 and the rear to -10, that’s why I don’t understand the -7.5 for fronts and -6.5 for rear with the app. Audyssey with and without app set fronts to 12.8ft and my rear without app is set to 5.2ft but with app it’s at 11.8ft
Make sure closer sub is on sub1 and the distance ones (front) are on sub2. That bug has been reported and not sure if resolved yet.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
You guys are awesome and thx for the advice, I’ll be down the rabbit hole, I don’t give up! And prime time guy thx I have not found that yet, where’d you see that? I’ll be down there tonight and tomorrow and will definitely let you guys know.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Guys, I have tried so many different ways, with and without my minidsp HD, AVR, app, app+Ratbuddyssey, RS spl meter etc., in the end, the best)flatest curve was obtainable by simply running Audyssey, following instructions to the letter, then use the App to fine tune and develop the flatest possible curve using Ratbuddyssey.

Spl meters are not as accurate for setting sub levels as Audyssey (according to Audyssey, I believe them because their explanation makes sense to me). minidsp/REW to time align subs manually is unnecessary except in certain situations.

If you guys must go down that rabbit hole of trying all the things I have, and some, have fun. If you just want to save time fooling around, trust Audyssey a little more, I have documented the steps I took to get within +/- 1 to 2 dB 20-120 Hz. I have yet to see better results posted except Pogre and Jon AA's. If you just follow the steps, it should take only a couple hours, and you will be able to enjoy near flat bass response, or shape you own target curve to the popular one found by Harman.

Audyssey is far from perfect, nothing is, but while Dirac Live may be better overall, Audyssey does work quite well if you limit the upper freq limit to around 300 Hz and follow their instructions, but do use the App.

The KISS principle seems applicable to room EQ for bass too.:D

Last edited:
R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Guys, I have tried so many different ways, with and without my minidsp HD, AVR, app, app+Ratbuddyssey, RS spl meter etc., in the end, the best)flatest curve was obtainable by simply running Audyssey, following instructions to the letter, then use the App to fine tune and develop the flatest possible curve using Ratbuddyssey.

Spl meters are not as accurate for setting sub levels as Audyssey (according to Audyssey, I believe them because their explanation makes sense to me). minidsp/REW to time align subs manually is unnecessary except in certain situations.

If you guys must go down that rabbit hole of trying all the things I have, and some, have fun. If you just want to save time fooling around, trust Audyssey a little more, I have documented the steps I took to get within +/- 1 to 2 dB 20-120 Hz. I have yet to see better results posted except Pogre and Jon AA's. If you just follow the steps, it should take only a couple hours, and you will be able to enjoy near flat bass response, or shape you own target curve to the popular one found by Harman.

Audyssey is far from perfect, nothing is, but while Dirac Live may be better overall, Audyssey does work quite well if you limit the upper freq limit to around 300 Hz and follow their instructions, but do use the App.

The KISS principle seems applicable to room EQ for bass too.:D
I want to use the app but the app is giving me different results from Audyssey without app with sub volume and my rear sub distance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Make sure your closer sub is on the sub1 output on denon and the two distant subs are on sub2. It was a bug in app that messed up the distances if sub2 is closer. Not sure if it has been fixed or not. It was reported many times in AVS thread.
Example - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/multeq-editor-new-app-for-denon-marantz-av-receivers-pre-pros.2806249/page-314#post-59700878
Not much there. Wouldn't surprise me otoh that the app could have a bug, but hadn't read this before otoh....maybe if Reckel can at least change pre-outs up and see if the problem follows.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Not much there. Wouldn't surprise me otoh that the app could have a bug, but hadn't read this before otoh....maybe if Reckel can at least change pre-outs up and see if the problem follows.
I’ll have time today so I’ll switch and see

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
You by any chance get my emails?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis