Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I realize you already have your own thread so I moved the discussion over here so we can stop hijacking ol' onkyo's thread, lol. I have you tagged now so I'll see your updates.
I asked this already but not sure if I had got an answer from anyone. After I ran audyssey through app, why did it set my front subs volume at -7.5 and rear one at -6.5? Running audyssey without app it set my front subs to -10 and rear to -10, which is correct? The app also changed my rear sub distance to 11.8ft instead of the 5.2ft
Something sounds a little funky there. Did you change anything between not using the app and with the app? Like move something or bump the gain on your subs? Distances don't always match up with a tape measure and have more to do with timing. Changing distance changes the arrival time of the soundwaves so all frequencies hit your seating position ~the same time.

Consistency with mic placement while running Audyssey is important too, and I like to take all 8 measurements closely following the pattern on the screen. Getting background noise down is important too. I've had a dog bark while running Audyssey for one of the measurements and it screwed everything up so I started over. What you're doing is basically creating a bubble of good sound around your seat inside the mic positions/pattern.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I realize you already have your own thread so I moved the discussion over here so we can stop hijacking ol' onkyo's thread, lol. I have you tagged now so I'll see your updates.
That’s fine and I agree. No I didn’t change anything at all in avr. I was actually lucky and had everything quiet in the house. I was surprised after it got done that the volume on subs was different and my rear sub distance was different since it’s actually 5.2ft behind. I’ll have to listen and run it again. You know more than me, I didn’t understand it

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That’s fine and I agree. No I didn’t change anything at all in avr. I was actually lucky and had everything quiet in the house. I was surprised after it got done that the volume on subs was different and my rear sub distance was different since it’s actually 5.2ft behind. I’ll have to listen and run it again. You know more than me, I didn’t understand it
No, what I meant was did you change anything in the room? Move any furniture, subs or speakers? Bump the gain pot on the back of your sub? Open a door that was previously closed or vice versa? That can have an effect, but probably not as drastic as what you describe. It might just be a weird anomaly. I think it would be a good idea to run Audyssey again, keeping in mind what I said about following the pattern closely and make sure the top of the mic is at ear level.

Let us know what happens when you get the time, and if you have anymore questions just bump this thread and I'll eventually see it.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
No, what I meant was did you change anything in the room? Move any furniture, subs or speakers? Bump the gain pot on the back of your sub? Open a door that was previously closed or vice versa? That can have an effect, but probably not as drastic as what you describe. It might just be a weird anomaly. I think it would be a good idea to run Audyssey again, keeping in mind what I said about following the pattern closely and make sure the top of the mic is at ear level.

Let us know what happens when you get the time, and if you have anymore questions just bump this thread and I'll eventually see it.
No I didn’t move any furniture or touch subs gain knob. Yea I’ll definitely let you guys know. I’m guessing Wednesday after I go cut wood n split it I’ll be back on

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I just ran it again and same volume on subs and the 11.8ft was same on my rear one. Listened to a little bit of fury road, Bass seems ok but maybe I need to turn gain knobs up a little, idk. I kinda hear the rear first, maybe adjust distance, I’m not sure. I have to go to so I can’t play with this long. Just don’t understand why the volumes and distance are that much different

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do wonder if the processing has something to do with the differences, but having no chance to play with the app/avr combo just staying tuned in....

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I don’t mind, we both have the Denon 4500, so I am learning all the way around!

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I do wonder if the processing has something to do with the differences, but having no chance to play with the app/avr combo just staying tuned in....
Maybe other people are experiencing this too with the app, if so let me/us know plz. I’m not sure what to do at this point except keep playing with it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe other people are experiencing this too with the app, if so let me/us know plz. I’m not sure what to do at this point except keep playing with it
Can only tag along, my older Denon doesn't have the app capability....altho I'd likely only use it below schraeder.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't I link the thread discussing app before?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Two up front and one directly behind my second row of seats
Are the two up front split off one Sub channel? both the same distance from you?
Do you level match the two front subs so their combined output matches the ~73dB Audyssey wants from each Sub Channel?
Rear Sub on the other Sub Out?

What are the Audyssey distances for the fronts?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Are the two up front split off one Sub channel? both the same distance from you?
Do you level match the two front subs so their combined output matches the ~73dB Audyssey wants from each Sub Channel?
Rear Sub on the other Sub Out?

What are the Audyssey distances for the fronts?
Yea two up front are off one output and connected with y-splitter and rear one on other sub output. Two up front are each between 72-74db definitely not combined at 73db. Audyssey without the app set the fronts to -10 and the rear to -10, that’s why I don’t understand the -7.5 for fronts and -6.5 for rear with the app. Audyssey with and without app set fronts to 12.8ft and my rear without app is set to 5.2ft but with app it’s at 11.8ft

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea two up front are off one output and connected with y-splitter and rear one on other sub output. Two up front are each between 72-74db definitely not combined at 73db. Audyssey without the app set the fronts to -10 and the rear to -10, that’s why I don’t understand the -7.5 for fronts and -6.5 for rear with the app. Audyssey with and without app set fronts to 12.8ft and my rear without app is set to 5.2ft but with app it’s at 11.8ft
The inconsistency is a bit of a head scratcher, but your 2nd run using the app is more or less the same as the previous one (also with the app)? Until you get REW and your UMIK up and running we're not sure what's going on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis