Got to repair my PB 4000 yesterday!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One of my SVS PB 4000's developed a driver issue last week

SVS sent me a driver within 3 days thought I'd post this here if anybody has to go through the same thing

The instructions are super simple and they send you all the tools you need

You basically take out the amp first then put it's on its back take out the driver

When you take out the amp you just unplug it from 2 spots

The driver you take it out you unplug the terminals after you pull the driver out

Then you reverse the order driver first then amp pretty easy peasy took me and my pops less then an hour

Here's some pics 20200404_134354.jpg20200404_134402.jpg

As Shady stated in his review these things are built like friggin tanks man the build quality is out of this world everything fits super super tight and snug

And those drivers are beasts man I could not believe how heavy they are they said I could toss the old one I think I'll keep it in the house somewhere like a trophy

But anyway it was a lot of fun thought I'd share it kill in time sitting here in the house

But one thing it's definetly done is basically made up my mind to go with passive subs long term in the theater I can truly understand why people go with all amplifiers separate from there speakers now for sure need to wait till this blows over tho audio purchases right now not high on the priority list unfortunately

I hope your all safe and getting through this God Bless!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

SVS sent me a driver within 3 days thought I'd post this here if anybody has to go through the same thing

You basically take out the amp first then put it's on its back take out the driver

The driver you take it out you unplug the terminals after you pull the driver out

Then you reverse the order driver first then amp pretty easy peasy took me and my pops less then an hour

Here's some pics View attachment 35172View attachment 35173

As Shady stated in his review these things are built like friggin tanks man the build quality is out of this world everything fits super super tight and snug

And those drivers are beasts man I could not believe how heavy they are they said I could toss the old one I think I'll keep it in the house somewhere like a trophy

But anyway it was a lot of fun thought I'd share it kill in time sitting here in the house

But one thing it's definetly done is basically made up my mind to go with passive subs long term in the theater I can truly understand why people go with all amplifiers separate from there speakers now for sure need to wait till this blows over tho audio purchases right now not high on the priority list unfortunately

Usually have to replace the amps in SVS subs. I had to replace amps in both of my SB-13's.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Usually have to replace the amps in SVS subs. I had to replace amps in both of my SB-13's.
Yeah I've heard the 4000 series has that issue as well that was after I bought em tho

But to be fair I think there's a reason why very few companies SVS being one of them is willing to slap a five year warranty on these

I think amps stuck in enclosures are doomed to fail sooner or later sooner probably more so then later sometimes

That's why down the road these will get sold and I'm replacing them with passive subs and external amps!!!

But I'm still impressed with SVS don't get me wrong great customer service and solid performance not the best bang for your buck but still very good performance

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
And kudos for SVS warranting there amps for 5 years nothing but respect on that

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You are lucky you didn't go with the PB16-Ultra. The driver in that thing is such a monster that you need specialized tools to remove it. It is much heavier than the 4000 series driver, and now you know what a beefy chunk of iron the 4000 driver is.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What was the issue with the driver?
Not sure the sub was distorting badly when I called them they had me run some tests one of them was pushing on both drivers the driver that was bad on the one sub made sound when you pushed it in

They said right then that they aren't supposed to do that and it was a driver
So they sent it out we put it in and it's sounding like it's normal beautiful self

I think that sub is a lemon it's the same one I had to replace the amp on like a year after I bought it the other sub works fine this whole time no problems those things happen

But know it's got a new driver new amp so hopefully she's good to go basically it's a new sub in the old enclosure

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You are lucky you didn't go with the PB16-Ultra. The driver in that thing is such a monster that you need specialized tools to remove it. It is much heavier than the 4000 series driver, and now you know what a beefy chunk of iron the 4000 driver is.
Man Shady we had to use tools to lift that one out as well so I can't imagine the ultra

But I'm going with RBH the SV-1212 PR is out of this world and I want passive subs with external amps

So once the current situation calms down I'm going with 2 of the NR 1212's I spoke with RBH and they told me they can give me the info to make sure it's tuned as deep with the same extension as the 1212 PR version

3 of those would be out of this world in that room

It takes both PB 4000's just to keep up with the RBH and even then that's because I don't have to push any of them to get killer bass they all have plenty of headroom but if I let em rip I have no doubght the RBH will come out on top

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Beefy chunk of iron doesn't even cut it that's a monster of a driver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure the sub was distorting badly when I called them they had me run some tests one of them was pushing on both drivers the driver that was bad on the one sub made sound when you pushed it in

They said right then that they aren't supposed to do that and it was a driver
So they sent it out we put it in and it's sounding like it's normal beautiful self

I think that sub is a lemon it's the same one I had to replace the amp on like a year after I bought it the other sub works fine this whole time no problems those things happen

But know it's got a new driver new amp so hopefully she's good to go basically it's a new sub in the old enclosure
Wonder if the amp going out might have initiated the damage....

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
And kudos for SVS warranting there amps for 5 years nothing but respect on that
They do have great customer service and for that reason I will always consider them whenever I need some audio gear.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
That's my thinking as well
Yeah, it must have torched the voice coil. Awesome of them to stand behind their products like that. I did just see in an email blitz they are offering amp upgrades for the 13 Ultras to a 4000 style amp...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, it must have torched the voice coil. Awesome of them to stand behind their products like that. I did just see in an email blitz they are offering amp upgrades for the 13 Ultras to a 4000 style amp...
That's actually super cool of them to do that there customer service is exceptional

Too bad they don't sell passive versions of there subs without the amps in them

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I already put one of them (Sledge 1200D) in one of my SB-13's. I was thinking about just getting a new SB-4000, however this might be sufficient.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That's actually super cool of them to do that there customer service is exceptional

Too bad they don't sell passive versions of there subs without the amps in them
I wouldn't put it pass them to start doing that at some point. BTW, how does that SVS app work on multiple sub?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Here's some pics View attachment 35172View attachment 35173

How on earth do they build them so robust? No wonder it cost so much money it’s the lambrigini of the subwoofer world , does the triple ports mean it had more output then a 18” or a 24” sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How on earth do they build them so robust? No wonder it cost so much money it’s the lambrigini of the subwoofer world , does the triple ports mean it had more output then a 18” or a 24” sub?

The PB-4000 is very strong around port tuning, however a very long throw 18" with enough amplification could probably match its output at port tuning and would have significantly more output above and below that point. A long throw 24" like the ones from Stereo Integrity would be able to outperform it at every frequency pretty handily though.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I've heard the 4000 series has that issue as well that was after I bought em tho

But to be fair I think there's a reason why very few companies SVS being one of them is willing to slap a five year warranty on these

I think amps stuck in enclosures are doomed to fail sooner or later sooner probably more so then later sometimes

That's why down the road these will get sold and I'm replacing them with passive subs and external amps!!!

But I'm still impressed with SVS don't get me wrong great customer service and solid performance not the best bang for your buck but still very good performance
It’s still technically a active sub when the sub amp is external it’s just not a plate amplified sub . When my sub amp dies I will buy a pro amp to power it . ‘)my first bash amplifier broke within warranty this one has survived far past that .
The defect is in the power cord , I had to tape and rubber band it so it cannot flex or break the internal power cord components zzz

That sub is a masterpiece

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Beefy chunk of iron doesn't even cut it that's a monster of a driver
Some independent sub makers who only make drivers make bigger badder subs , but I’d imagine they are more expensive then simply going with svs ...
is svs the most robust brand of sub you can buy in its price range ? It’s pretty expensive

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis