2 HSU over 1 Rythmik

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would say the SVS sub was a bit more 'high-end' mostly due to its crazy build-quality. The thing is like a boulder. If you haven't come into contact with one, you should. The Rythmik subs also have good build quality, but they just don't match the higher end of what SVS does. This has both an advantage and disadvantage because those SVS subs are painful to have to move around. I agree that distortion doesn't matter so long as it is inaudible, but it is a performance metric, and in this respect the PB13-Ultra was and still is a superb performer that is not matched by the FV15HP. You said that nothing could outperform the FV15HP, but that is a blanket statement since there is more to performance than raw SPL.
When buying a sub, people are concerned with quality of bass and SPL. You use SPL and distortion specs all the time to support your arguement. Ive never seen the arguement of weight as a performance factor until now. The FV15HP out performed the PB13-Ultra in bass with inaudible distortion and with a resepctable solid build. Tell me, how does weight sound anyway?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This tempts me to plug my towers and run another calibration just to experiment. I don't expect any big improvements or anything. Just a time killer to satisfy my curiosity. I've been staying busy through all this but we may end up on lock down sooner than later and the distraction would be welcome.
Shelter In Place isn't all bad! Just stock up on some fresh food, practice cooking some delicious stuff, and stream netflix, clean the house...
...do acoustic measurements, build panels and speaker cabinets... I'm going to start entering driver data into SoundEasy and try modeling my first Sub!
:)
Wheee!

And just let EDD tell me I need to be interviewing for jobs while on Corona-Layoff!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This tempts me to plug my towers and run another calibration just to experiment. I don't expect any big improvements or anything. Just a time killer to satisfy my curiosity. I've been staying busy through all this but we may end up on lock down sooner than later and the distraction would be welcome.
It probably won't make a difference if you plug your tower ports. They are tuned so deep in frequency that the high-pass filter from the sub/speaker crossover is likely totally diminishing their output. My be an interesting experiment though, just to see if there is any change whatsoever.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
When buying a sub, people are concerned with quality of bass and SPL. You use SPL and distortion specs all the time to support your arguement. Ive never seen the arguement of weight as a performance factor until now. The FV15HP out performed the PB13-Ultra in bass with inaudible distortion and with a resepctable solid build. Tell me, how does weight sound anyway?
I never said weight was a performance metric. You asked how it is that these subs could be aimed a different buyers, well one of the things that separate them is build quality. Some people like a heavier-duty build.

Also, I think you are overstating how much the FV15HP outperforms a PB13-Ultra. Look at the whole of their measurements. They are both pretty close. If you were comparing these subs in normal or even elevated use, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between them. The biggest audible difference is probably that the FV15HP has a bit more headroom in upper bass from around 70 Hz and above. For the most part, they are a lot more alike than different. I would be happy with either one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I never said weight was a performance metric. You asked how it is that these subs could be aimed a different buyers, well one of the things that separate them is build quality. Some people like a heavier-duty build.

Also, I think you are overstating how much the FV15HP outperforms a PB13-Ultra. Look at the whole of their measurements. They are both pretty close. If you were comparing these subs in normal or even elevated use, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between them. The biggest audible difference is probably that the FV15HP has a bit more headroom in upper bass from around 70 Hz and above. For the most part, they are a lot more alike than different. I would be happy with either one.
Thankyou for making my point Shady. You said in an earlier post that Ryhmik doesnt make subs but it goes toe to toe with all the other players. Your subjective dislike for Rythmik reminds me of your earlier rants against PSA and you came up with any reason not to like them. That is fine. Thats your choice but dont purposely omit facts about Rythmik subs that puts Rythmik at a disadvantage. Its misleading.

BTW, the Rythmik, played deeper and louder and had higher SPL across is entire frequency range then the SVS, not much higher SPL, but higher never the less.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thankyou for making my point Shady. You said in an earlier post that Ryhmik doesnt make subs but it goes toe to toe with all the other players. Your subjective dislike for Rythmik reminds me of your earlier rants against PSA and you came up with any reason not to like them. That is fine. Thats your choice but dont purposely omit facts about Rythmik subs that puts Rythmik at a disadvantage. Its misleading.

BTW, the Rythmik, played deeper and louder and had higher SPL across is entire frequency range then the SVS, not much higher SPL, but higher never the less.
I don't dislike Rythmik. The subs perform well, and that has been proven multiple times. I do have some problems with some of the claims Rythmik makes about their technology, but at least the fundamental performance is there. I don't know what your problem is with the advice that I dispensed in this thread. Two Hsu's vs one Rythmik is a no-brainer, especially since the OP is going to be using speaker level inputs. I can't believe you would object to that. If it were one F15HP vs one ULS-15 mk2 where money is not a concern, I would probably say go for the Rythmik since the higher-tier 15" drivers from Rythmik seem to have a bit more displacement capability (so long as the LFE input is being used). I am not really impressed by the servo-feedback technology but it doesn't matter since the base performance is good and the subs aren't extravagantly expensive.

Btw, the FV15HP does not play louder over the entire frequency range than the PB13-Ultra. Take a closer look at the measurements, both short bursts and long term. The SVS does exceed the Rythmik output around its port tuning.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't dislike Rythmik. The subs perform well, and that has been proven multiple times. I do have some problems with some of the claims Rythmik makes about their technology, but at least the fundamental performance is there. I don't know what your problem is with the advice that I dispensed in this thread. Two Hsu's vs one Rythmik is a no-brainer, especially since the OP is going to be using speaker level inputs. I can't believe you would object to that. If it were one F15HP vs one ULS-15 mk2 where money is not a concern, I would probably say go for the Rythmik since the higher-tier 15" drivers from Rythmik seem to have a bit more displacement capability (so long as the LFE input is being used). I am not really impressed by the servo-feedback technology but it doesn't matter since the base performance is good and the subs aren't extravagantly expensive.

Btw, the FV15HP does not play louder over the entire frequency range than the PB13-Ultra. Take a closer look at the measurements, both short bursts and long term. The SVS does exceed the Rythmik output around its port tuning.
One of my previous posts did say that ematthews made the right choice with the 2 HSUs because it allows for more even in room bass response. Your right there, its a non brainer and I agree with you.

You're still missing my main point and I dont know how to say that you will understand it so Im leaving it alone now.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Isn't two always better than one?!
Why is the rhythmic so much more expensive ?
The diy route is always going to be most bang/ buck ... but it’s way easier to buy a sub !
Yeah that’s how shark became kings it the ocean because of two underside appendages... lmao
Shark fin soup ended that , joining dodo birds soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Rel is likely perfectly fine in some respects, but their cost vs performance is just a bit ridiculous. They do have a head start in marketing of subs and do play nicely with the audio mags with advertising and samples and such. So while the Rel may be adequate for one's needs, that depends on what they are both in terms of extension and volume..... A better comparo to the Rel 8" would be another 8", say Rythmik's F8 which is still a better sub IMO. The Rel T7 spec is an f6 of 30hz! That's not even a sub....
Who keeps these super high price brands in business ? My stereo integrity diy sub wipes the floor of a lot of the so called expensive “ audiophile subs . And it’s only the 15” dvc home theater model the $200 one .

The hsu model and there higher end new ones are like better then old tc sounds brand Zzz did they go bankrupt??
Sonotube subs look neat wonder how hard they are to diy ..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why is the rhythmic so much more expensive ?
The diy route is always going to be most bang/ buck ... but it’s way easier to buy a sub !
Yeah that’s how shark became kings it the ocean because of two underside appendages... lmao
Shark fin soup ended that , joining dodo birds soon

DIY is not always best value. Especially if you screw up the dimensions or use crappy parts.
If you make another shark fin soup joke, I’m going shark fin soup you. And see how good you can type without your hands. Idiot.
Who keeps these super high price brands in business ? My stereo integrity diy sub wipes the floor of a lot of the so called expensive “ audiophile subs . And it’s only the 15” dvc home theater model the $200 one .

The hsu model and there higher end new ones are like better then old tc sounds brand Zzz did they go bankrupt??
Sonotube subs look neat wonder how hard they are to diy ..

Sonotubes are Easy.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
DIY is not always best value. Especially if you screw up the dimensions or use crappy parts.
If you make another shark fin soup joke, I’m going shark fin soup you. And see how good you can type without your hands. Idiot.

Sonotubes are Easy.
Yeah true I will eventually try a good brand made sub it’s not much different then getting a driver with dimensions and parameters. If it’s a ported sub yes ::: easier to buy !!
A single 24” diy sub would crush two of these ... but would take up so much more space, building them is hard too ...

Do these brands eventually plan on making larger subs to compete with companies that just sell the drivers ? Or do they buy all there subs from those suppliers ?
Ins smaller rooms is sealed subwoofer better ? I cannot stand port noise.
Is 4.5-5 cubic foot big for a sealed sub?

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah true I will eventually try a good brand made sub it’s not much different then getting a driver with dimensions and parameters. If it’s a ported sub yes ::: easier to buy !!
A single 24” diy sub would crush two of these ... but would take up so much more space, building them is hard too ...

Do these brands eventually plan on making larger subs to compete with companies that just sell the drivers ? Or do they buy all there subs from those suppliers ?
Ins smaller rooms is sealed subwoofer better ? I cannot stand port noise.
Is 4.5-5 cubic foot big for a sealed sub?
Its not about crushing other subs.Its all about evenining out in room bass response and no single sub no matter how big, DIY, or commercially built will do the trick.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Got them hooked up this morning after bringing both upstairs by myself!!! Wow. Back is getting old. Listening now. A lot different than my Outlaw. Much tighter bass. Maybe it will loosing up a touch with time. Or the correct adjustment to my room. So far so good. Great buy and looks great with two subs.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got them hooked up this morning after bringing both upstairs by myself!!! Wow. Back is getting old. Listening now. A lot different than my Outlaw. Much tighter bass. Maybe it will loosing up a touch with time. Or the correct adjustment to my room. So far so good. Great buy and looks great with two subs.
The painters tape is a nice accent! ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking good. :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I like the painters tape. Lol. So far after
A few hours. It’s a bit tight and very dry sounding to me. I know I will need to play with settings and placement a bit. They are very strong sounding. I’ll never run out of room as far as headroom.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the painters tape. Lol. So far after
A few hours. It’s a bit tight and very dry sounding to me. I know I will need to play with settings and placement a bit. They are very strong sounding. I’ll never run out of room as far as headroom.
I you want more low-end, adjust the Q control to '0.7' and run the sub in 'EQ 1' mode. That should make the sound more 'heavy' or 'thick.'

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I you want more low-end, adjust the Q control to '0.7' and run the sub in 'EQ 1' mode. That should make the sound more 'heavy' or 'thick.'
That’s actually how I started out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis