2 HSU over 1 Rythmik

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rel is likely perfectly fine in some respects, but their cost vs performance is just a bit ridiculous. They do have a head start in marketing of subs and do play nicely with the audio mags with advertising and samples and such. So while the Rel may be adequate for one's needs, that depends on what they are both in terms of extension and volume..... A better comparo to the Rel 8" would be another 8", say Rythmik's F8 which is still a better sub IMO. The Rel T7 spec is an f6 of 30hz! That's not even a sub....

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ri
Rel is likely perfectly fine in some respects, but their cost vs performance is just a bit ridiculous. They do have a head start in marketing of subs and do play nicely with the audio mags with advertising and samples and such. So while the Rel may be adequate for one's needs, that depends on what they are both in terms of extension and volume..... A better comparo to the Rel 8" would be another 8", say Rythmik's F8 which is still a better sub IMO. The Rel T7 spec is an f6 of 30hz! That's not even a sub....
sounds good. Think I’ll head over the HSU now.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
These RELs on the other hand...
1583972537363.png

This all fine and good, but where are the speakers?
1583972668662.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Who needs speakers when you have subs like that? ;)
Sitting by the fireplace, admiring your subs all grouped around....photographers can have strange thoughts? Or are the speakers just widely spaced?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't be so sure that Rythmik's 8" is any more capable in deep bass at all. The Rel sub uses a 10" passive radiator. I am guessing that the sub is tuned to the mid 30 Hz range. The Rythmik sub is a sealed design that uses two 8"s. Those 8"s have an Fs of 38 Hz. They are intended for mid bass, not deep bass. If you try to get significant bass below 40 Hz with those things, they will end up sounding real ugly very quickly, probably sooner than the Rel sub. Neither sub is suitable for deep bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't be so sure that Rythmik's 8" is any more capable in deep bass at all. The Rel sub uses a 10" passive radiator. I am guessing that the sub is tuned to the mid 30 Hz range. The Rythmik sub is a sealed design that uses two 8"s. Those 8"s have an Fs of 38 Hz. They are intended for mid bass, not deep bass. If you try to get significant bass below 40 Hz with those things, they will end up sounding real ugly very quickly, probably sooner than the Rel sub. Neither sub is suitable for deep bass.
I just glanced at the f3 spec of 20hz with one setting....what drivers are they?

FWIW I wouldn't really recommend an 8" sub in any case....too small :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I believe they discontinued the 8in sub. Rythmik has an awesome amp with a lot of control over all settings. Many more that the HSU sub. I think that is what draws me to the Rythmik. The only thing pulling me to the HSU is being able to get two of them. Ugh!!! Hard choices to be made

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just glanced at the f3 spec of 20hz with one setting....what drivers are they?

FWIW I wouldn't really recommend an 8" sub in any case....too small :)
DS800 series. The system F3 of the whole sub maybe have a lower F3 due to the servo technology, but that does not allow the driver to somehow exceed its mechanical limitations.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I believe they discontinued the 8in sub. Rythmik has an awesome amp with a lot of control over all settings. Many more that the HSU sub. I think that is what draws me to the Rythmik. The only thing pulling me to the HSU is being able to get two of them. Ugh!!! Hard choices to be made
If you like amplifier adjustability, the SVS amps have far more control flexibility than either Hsu or Rythmik. It has much more control over the settings. Rythmik has a one band parametric equalizer, but SVS has a three band parametric equalizer, along with extension filters that control frequency as well as slope degrees. And everything is fine-tunable down to a single Hz.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
If you like amplifier adjustability, the SVS amps have far more control flexibility than either Hsu or Rythmik. It has much more control over the settings. Rythmik has a one band parametric equalizer, but SVS has a three band parametric equalizer, along with extension filters that control frequency as well as slope degrees. And everything is fine-tunable down to a single Hz.
I have looked at the SVS many times. The new 3000 series. I love the fact of an app control. One thing that puts me off, is I don't care for my 12NSD at all. I think it sounds terrible. SVS sent me an answer to one of my emails saying the new series are light years ahead of my current SVS.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Just thought of this. SVS doesn't have speaker level connections, so that would not help me. I am using a Yamaha 2 channel amp. No sub out.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Rythmik also has extension filters on their amps and fixed slope degrees for their channel.

PEQ controls

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis