What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan

This item Toshiba SD-V296 DVD Player/VCR Combo, Progressive Scan Dolby Digital Remote Control, Black
Didn't buy it exactly but my mom is moving to Florida and she didn't want to take it with her. Bought new around 7 years ago and I don't think it was ever used. So now I have an extra dvd (no blue ray) player with a VHS high fi section. I might have to buy a few VHS tapes to mess around with this. I haven't had a vhs or Betamax in years but it was worth taking just for the DVD player.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so I purchased this from Amazon just to have a blank tape to mess around with

Click image to open expanded view

TDK Ultimate Performance E-HG Extra High Grade VHS T-120 Blank Video Tape

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Wanting to help one of my cousins who does everything he can to help disadvantaged youth (even adopting one),I'm putting together a modest 5.1 system on the cheap. New job 11 months ago pays a lot less so least spent for best results is key.

I found this set on Craigslist and checked reviews. Actually turns out to be highly rated! (CNET, Sound & Vision) Original list $600, street price $400, like-new used...$120.

Now to find a cheap Marantz NR 15xx or 16xx preferably under $100, and a Bluesound Node N100 for similar pricing. This way he'll have good movie and music sound that he's never experienced and would never have bought himself.

Attachments

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I got my fig brandy bottle in that matches the one Belloq and Marion are drinking from in Raiders of the Lost Ark in the tent scene in Egypt. I think that about completes the back shelf and poster display (out of room). Indy stuff is now on the left and Belloq stuff on the right with the Ark (scale model) meeting in the middle.

Indy Back Shelf Eau Da Vie 2s.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
My vintage Dunhill "Unique" lighter (1924+) has arrived. I got it for only $50 (typically sell for $150+ from what I've seen online). No one else bid. Maybe it was because it had some stains and other grime on it in the photos? I spent about an hour with a Q-tip cleaning it up and installed a new flint and fueled it up. I think it now looks pretty good and works great. I believe it was the lighter used in the movie version of From Russia With Love (novel version mentioned a Ronson so I now have them both side-by-side on the shelf in front of the Spectre ring). It was also used in The Amazing Doctor Clitterhouse (Edward G. Robinson and Humphrey Bogart). I'm sure it was used in many more movies as well as it was Dunhill's primary lighter from the classic movie era. They still make a "Unique" (butane powered lighter and 'sports' jet lighter) that look very similar. Some models had built-in wind 'shields' (Ronson's Whirlwind picture on the shelf on the left side has one built-in that lifts up. Ironically, it's worth less despite being the better lighter, IMO).

Dunhill Unique Fs.jpg
Dunhill Unique Lit s.jpg

Shelf Lighters Front On s.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Shopping the used section at a multimedia entertainment shop near me, on an early B-day gift certificate from my younger son, I got these three for just a tad over $20. All in EXCELLENT condition and clean.
Gaucho_Pretenders.jpg

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Hmm. I bought a pair of mint JBL L46, upgraded the crossovers, then I bought a new Crown XLS 1502 to see how a quality class D amp sounds, and I found a pair of DefTech BP20 towers for $100. Used the new Crown to push the BP20 woofers into failure so I could see what the issues are....suspensions totally shot.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I got another quartz pocket watch (Red Baron Fokker DR-1). It just needed a new battery.

Fokker DR1 Red Baron Pocket Watch Front.jpgFokker DR1 Red Baron Pocket Watch Back s.jpgFokker DR1 Red Baron Pocket Watch Open s.jpg

I also got a "WIN" brand butane electro-quartz (piezo electric) lighter for $19. It's like brand new and closely resembles the lighter Rachel used in Blade Runner (you can only see the top and corner edge; this one and a Colibri lighter both have the same basic top/side, but the bodies and switch differ that you can't see in the movie so who knows which it is for certain). Either way, it's a sweet lighter. You can have anywhere from a 1" flame to a 6" pipe-lighting jet flame with a turn of the screw on the bottom. Charges in about 4-5 seconds with a butane can.

Win Lighter Front s.jpgWin Lighter Back s.jpgWin Lighter Held Side s.jpgWin Lighter Held Side Lit1 s.jpgWin Lighter Held Side Lit2 s.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
The "Heart of Ahriman" diamond jewel from Conan The Destroyer has arrived (with lit platform display I devised to show it off in white or red colors like in the movie where it changed color when it opened the door to the Horn of Dagoth room.

Click for larger view:

Heart of Ahriman Lit White Close s.jpg Heart of Ahriman Lit Red Close s.jpg Heart of Ahriman Lit White Far s.jpg Heart of Ahriman Lit Red Far s.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
The "Heart of Ahriman" diamond jewel from Conan The Destroyer has arrived (with lit platform display I devised to show it off in white or red colors like in the movie where it changed color when it opened the door to the Horn of Dagoth room.

Click for larger view:

View attachment 31781View attachment 31782View attachment 31780View attachment 31779
Nice I remember that from the movie. Do yourself a favor and read the original (Robert E Howard) Conan books. I do like the movies and some of the non Howard stories but there is nothing like the originals...
And the princess appeared later as a Q on ST Next Gen:)

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Nice I remember that from the movie. Do yourself a favor and read the original (Robert E Howard) Conan books. I do like the movies and some of the non Howard stories but there is nothing like the originals...
And the princess appeared later as a Q on ST Next Gen:)
I'll have to take a look at the books. Olivia D'abo was also in the movie "Greedy" with Michael J. Fox and Kirk Douglas (she's in very skimpy clothing in that one) and the TV Show The Wonder Years. Her cousin Maryam D'Abo was a Bond girl in The Living Daylights. ;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I'll have to take a look at the books. Olivia D'abo was also in the movie "Greedy" with Michael J. Fox and Kirk Douglas (she's in very skimpy clothing in that one) and the TV Show The Wonder Years. Her cousin Maryam D'Abo was a Bond girl in The Living Daylights. ;)
If you do look at the books make sure that they are Robert E Howard stories. There are a lot of non canon stories out there but believe me the originals are the best...

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Dunhill Unique Sports circa 1920s (took some work to get this one going; horribly stuck flint)

Dunhill Unique Sport Lit Back s.jpg

I think I'm addicted to collecting lighters now (and I don't even smoke).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since HTPC has been such a huge part of my HT for a long time, I finally decided to go “all-out” on upgrading some components in my main HTPC unit.

So I just bought a few things for the upgrade. :D

1. Intel i9-9900K CPU/ Noctua-D14 CPU cooler/MSI Z390 motherboard
2. GeForce RTX 2080 Super GPU
3. Ballistix 3200Mhz 32GB DDR4 RAM
4. Samsung 970-EVO M.2 SSD

Last edited:
nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Since HTPC has been such a huge part of my HT for a long time, I finally decided to go “all-out” on upgrading some components in my main HTPC unit.

1. Intel i9-9900K CPU/ Dual-140mm-Fan CPU cooler/MSI motherboard
3. G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz 16GB RAM
I just did the same and built a new one . Same components as you but with 2 of the EVOs and 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz. Plays everything I can throw at it

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

So, you planning to do some HT gaming? Nice setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, you planning to do some HT gaming? Nice setup.
No. I just wanted a really nice PC. I've built over 14 PCs over the years, but I've never built a "high-end" PC. So I guess it was just time I did one. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan

Wow that is one powerful PC!:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No. I just wanted a really nice PC. I've built over 14 PCs over the years, but I've never built a "high-end" PC. So I guess it was just time I did one. :D
It will be obsolete before you get it built up :p

Yeah, generally I would build a PC with the expectation that it will last 10+ years, otherwise it really isn't worth the effort.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis