What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No. I just wanted a really nice PC. I've built over 14 PCs over the years, but I've never built a "high-end" PC. So I guess it was just time I did one. :D
It will be obsolete before you get it built up :p

Yeah, generally I would build a PC with the expectation that it will last 10+ years, otherwise it really isn't worth the effort.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It will be obsolete before you get it built up :p

Yeah, generally I would build a PC with the expectation that it will last 10+ years, otherwise it really isn't worth the effort.
Haha.

Will 16K-video be out in 10 years since this RTX-2080Super is only up to 8K-video. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just did the same and built a new one . Same components as you but with 2 of the EVOs and 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz. Plays everything I can throw at it
After seeing your post with 32GB of DDR4, I had to return my TridentZ since they are too tall for the heatsink and got 4 x 8GB of the Ballistix 3200Mhz DDR4. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow that is one powerful PC!:)
Speaking of Power -- yeah it's like how we got power amps in our audio systems, even if we don't need it. :D

I was looking at the CPU power readings the other day while watching some 4K HEVC movie files on Kodi. The CPU power reading was around 13 Watts. :D

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
After seeing your post with 32GB of DDR4, I had to return my TridentZ since they are too tall and got 4 x 8GB of the Ballistix 3200Mhz DDR4. :D
32GB gives you some headroom to work with for a few years. I am very pleased with my build and yours should keep pushing for a long time as well. I ended up moving my Ultra Wide monitor to my work station and bought a 4K monitor for gaming. Nice rig you built!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No. I just wanted a really nice PC. I've built over 14 PCs over the years, but I've never built a "high-end" PC. So I guess it was just time I did one. :D
Well, it'll last that's for sure. You should do some HT gaming though. Pretty epic especially some of the sound modern games have.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it'll last that's for sure. You should do some HT gaming though. Pretty epic especially some of the sound modern games have.
I can't even remember the last time I actually played a PC game - probably back in my high-school days. :D

When I bought my GeForce 2080S from Best Buy, it came with a free digital game, but I actually declined the game. :D

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
After seeing your post with 32GB of DDR4, I had to return my TridentZ since they are too tall for the heatsink and got 4 x 8GB of the Ballistix 3200Mhz DDR4. :D
I hope Crucial Ballistix has improved over the years, it's been the one brand of ram I've had to RMA more than any other I've owned.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
14W?

I've hit well over 100W on the meters with just half the speaker load on my Carver ribbons (i.e. Ribbon only and/or woofer only as I switched to a custom active crossover back in 1998). They do spend a lot of time in <5W range, though. Most material rarely goes above 64W on the woofers and 32W on the ribbons, though even with average levels in the mid 90s db. I did a test once up to 115db using continuous pink noise (with ear plugs in). That hit over 150W on the 8 Ohm scale and was louder than I'd ever want to go (Each TFM-35x amp tops out at 380W into 4 Ohms).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I hope Crucial Ballistix has improved over the years, it's been the one brand of ram I've had to RMA more than any other I've owned.
Weird. I've used them for years and never had an issue...granted it's been many years since I've used them. I pretty much stick with gskill now. Only because of price/performance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think I've used the Ballistix for all my previous installs. Never had a single bad RAM.

But since the Corsair Vengeance LPX is less expensive (TridentZ $85, Ballistix $75, Vengeance $70) -- I will give the Vengeance a try (if they fit under the Heatsink :eek:) from Best Buy. Will arrive a lot sooner also. :D

These RAMs have lifetime warranty anyway, right?

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, either you guys got lucky or I got unlucky with my Ballistix ram then. ;) I rma'ed at least 3 sets that I can remember over the course of 5 or 6 years before I stopped using them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, either you guys got lucky or I got unlucky with my Ballistix ram then. ;) I rma'ed at least 3 sets that I can remember over the course of 5 or 6 years before I stopped using them.
So you're using G.Skill now?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think I've used the Ballistix for all my previous installs. Never had a single bad RAM.

But since the Corsair Vengeance LPX is less expensive (TridentZ $85, Ballistix $75, Vengeance $70) -- I will give the Vengeance a try (if they fit under the Heatsink :eek:) from Best Buy. Will arrive a lot sooner also. :D

These RAMs have lifetime warranty anyway, right?
FWIW, I've never had an issue with Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, a-data, mushkin or G.skill. I refuse to buy Geil memory. Had nothing but issues with theirs.

I like buying from the actual RAM manufacturers (if possible) and Crucial is Micron's retail arm so I went with them. Lots of OEMs use the other brands I posted and as long as they have quality chips, then you won't have issues. Over volting/clocking is usually where folks get into trouble.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW, I've never had an issue with Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, a-data, mushkin or G.skill. I refuse to buy Geil memory. Had nothing but issues with theirs.

I like buying from the actual RAM manufacturers (if possible) and Crucial is Micron's retail arm so I went with them. Lots of OEMs use the other brands I posted and as long as they have quality chips, then you won't have issues. Over volting/clocking is usually where folks get into trouble.
The only PC problems I’ve ever had were regarding the HDDs, and even that was rare (2 HDDs - cheaper WD and Hitachi.

Yeah I figured the Over-clockers are probably the ones with the most Computer issues. :D

Just like the Over-crankers are the ones with the most Audio (speakers/amps) issues. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I never had any problems with Crucial or Kingston memory. But then again I haven't had a high performance rig in years...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only PC problems I’ve ever had were regarding the HDDs, and even that was rare (2 HDDs - cheaper WD and Hitachi.

Yeah I figured the Over-clockers are probably the ones with the most Computer issues. :D

Just like the Over-crankers are the ones with the most Audio (speakers/amps) issues. :D
My hard drive issues are interesting. Seagate 1tb are garbage. WD 1tb green are garbage. Seagate 2tb are excellent. I will say, I've never bought a Toshiba HDD ever, by the 4tb units in my server are excellent. They do run hot though...

Overclocking CPUs is awesome, but memory is fickle.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My hard drive issues are interesting. Seagate 1tb are garbage. WD 1tb green are garbage. Seagate 2tb are excellent. I will say, I've never bought a Toshiba HDD ever, by the 4tb units in my server are excellent. They do run hot though...

Overclocking CPUs is awesome, but memory is fickle.
When they can sell SSD 8TB for $150, I will switch over all my HDDs. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis