What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought this Friday and watched it with one of my daughters. Had a couple of chuckles but its not near as good as the first two.

Attachments

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
The name is Brown, James Brown.... I spent way too much time fixing this oxidized Ronson lighter reminiscent of the one Ian Fleming describes in From Russia With Love (those bastards used Dunhill in the movies!). It had a stuck flint, cracked flint tube and a totally stuck fuel fill cap wheel (soaked, froze and dug a deeper trench in the screw to get it out finally. Ouch. It still doesn't strike as well as it should with the cracked flint tube, but it does light after a few clicks, at least. It'll be on display next to my Spectre ring anyway (I've got a much better condition Whirlwind I could use as a daily lighter (if I smoked; I mostly light incense so wick lighters aren't the best choice for occasional use as the fuel evaporates slowly whether you use them or not) that strikes hard every time; it just has more decorative markings on the body than the rather "plain" model described in Bond novels.

Bond Lighter s.jpg

Bond Lighter and Ring s.jpg

These damn movies. They got me collecting all kinds of weird stuff now. I've got almost a dozen 1930s-40s lighters now with a WWII historic Touch Tip on the way (all kinds of signatures from the British Electric company for this guy's wedding in 1943 in the middle of WWII and at least two of the signatures went on to be in British Parliament so I think it might be a little valuable piece of British history (coming to America ;) ). It didn't look used much in the photos even (or that's one heck of a condition and a new wick in the original wand) so $200 for a MINT 1930s style Touch Tip lighter isn't that bad to begin with, let alone a piece of British History tied to it. I probably could resell it to the right auction place for 10x that easy. It'll go into my 1930s/40s Classic Movie regalia collection instead for now (It's not the same as the Maltese Falcon Touch Tip lighter, but another one like this was used in Mary Astor's apartment in the same movie and one was used in CONFLICT with Bogart and Sydney Greenstreet that looks to be the same model so other than the engraved signatures, it still matches at least two possible Bogart lighters.

Touch Tip Signatures s.jpg

Touch Tip Signatures2 s.jpg

I guess this is the guy: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1943-09-21/debates/10a6ae3e-9013-49c9-bc40-c331f3b80f9c/NorthOfScotlandHydroelectricBoard

Geeze, they even named a train after him...must have been important:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/8843-identity-change-60028-walter-k-whigham/

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm sure you're aware that mass-produced movie memorabilia is the costliest to get when it's newly released, and loses value the quickest. Those lighters would have a following and could appreciate some.

Me, I'm on a de-clutter kick now, a few years after having to clean out my parents' home of 50+ years of "collectibles" that had zero value (a massive doll collection) and my beloved dad's inability to ever discard anything. I collect NOTHING but memories, so my kids will have only my audio gear and a motorbike or two to fight over. And one son will get both.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I got a WWII Dunhill Service lighter to keep the Bond Ronson lighter company. I got it cheap ($15) for a Dunhill in good condition body-wise (typically $75+ for one without paint chips or in stainless steel). The guy sold it under "Parker' but the cap is Dunhill (the cap was the only real difference in the design anyway as Parker was a subsidiary of Dunhill). The wick broke when I tried to raise it so I had to take it apart and trim it and install the wick and wadding again (PITA without the right tweezers or pliers). I cleaned up the head and body (vinegar and water solution) and used a pipe tube brush on the flint tube and put a new flint in. I loaded it up with Ronsonol and after a few flicks to shape the flint head shape, it starts almost every time now. :D

It's neat to get 70-80 year old lighters working again... :)

Dunhill Trench Lighter s.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tool's new CD! I got it preordered before they ran out. Paid $28 total after using an amazon credit. They're all over eBay now for upwards of $100! I shoulda bought 20 of 'em...

20190927_110036-816x459.jpg
20190927_110107-816x459.jpg
20190927_110147-816x459.jpg
20190927_110224-816x459.jpg

They're known for special edition packaging. Each CD has unique and original artwork created through a collaboration by guitarist Adam Jones, who also does art design and stop motion for their videos, and Alex Grey, an acclaimed contemporary American artist. This limited edition sold out the preorder within a week and I guess more are coming, but only a limited run.

Kinda cool comes with a little book with lyrics and additional artwork and has a little rechargeable battery operated lcd screen and a little speaker with a couple of minutes of some trippy psychedelic CG. I'm glad I got it, but I'd never pay $150 for it...

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I bought a couple of pocket watches... (Quartz battery powered I can actually use). About $17 each on eBay.

Pocket Watches Front s.jpg

Pocket Watches Open s.jpg

Pocket Watches Back s.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The original version of Venus by Shocking Blue takes me back even further....think I still have the 45....
Nice - I do have the Shocking Blue version on a CD compilation. And I did have the 45 but that was years ago. Congrats on keeping that I ditched all my 45s years ago when I went to CDs. Wrong wrong wrong I now have a nice analog setup with some used LPs. Man you are really taking me back.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice - I do have the Shocking Blue version on a CD compilation. And I did have the 45 but that was years ago. Congrats on keeping that I ditched all my 45s years ago when I went to CDs. Wrong wrong wrong I now have a nice analog setup with some used LPs. Man you are really taking me back.:)
LOL made me look at my 45s this morning (still have quite a few, sometimes buying the hit was better than the album...), but nope don't have it any more nor do I have it in digital format, so just cued it up on Spotify....ah, memories! I had more 45s way back when but my parents offered a bunch to my friends when we moved to the west coast when I was 14 (we kids were at grandparents out in Reno for that exercise). Lost my baseball card collection, too. I did hold those two things against them for a while :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
LOL made me look at my 45s this morning (still have quite a few, sometimes buying the hit was better than the album...), but nope don't have it any more nor do I have it in digital format, so just cued it up on Spotify....ah, memories! I had more 45s way back when but my parents offered a bunch to my friends when we moved to the west coast when I was 14 (we kids were at grandparents out in Reno for that exercise). Lost my baseball card collection, too. I did hold those two things against them for a while :)
Yep 45s were all I could afford back in the late 60s early 70s.I had a cheap all in one with a cheap phono cart. I didn't really get into high fi until I was in the Air Force in the late 70s. But I really enjoyed music in those non high fi days...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My sister and I, growing up in the 70s used to play all of our mom's 45s on my sister's little turntable. It was barely more than a toy really tho, but some of those songs really take me back too. The song Mellow Yellow, Little Red Riding Hood, Elton John, Beatles, Stones...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Tool's new CD! I got it preordered before they ran out. Paid $28 total after using an amazon credit. They're all over eBay now for upwards of $100! I shoulda bought 20 of 'em...

View attachment 31573View attachment 31574View attachment 31575View attachment 31576

They're known for special edition packaging. Each CD has unique and original artwork created through a collaboration by guitarist Adam Jones, who also does art design and stop motion for their videos, and Alex Grey, an acclaimed contemporary American artist. This limited edition sold out the preorder within a week and I guess more are coming, but only a limited run.

Kinda cool comes with a little book with lyrics and additional artwork and has a little rechargeable battery operated lcd screen and a little speaker with a couple of minutes of some trippy psychedelic CG. I'm glad I got it, but I'd never pay $150 for it...
So pissed I didn't pre order. They released some more on their store site and stupid thing wouldn't find my address. Stupid internet...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So pissed I didn't pre order. They released some more on their store site and stupid thing wouldn't find my address. Stupid internet...
At least you have digital now, right? It's a banner year for Tool fans. Just found a sold out eBay ad for over 100 bucks. I had no clue. If I could have predicted that I for real woulda bought 20 copies and flooded 'em all over eBay. I'm a huge fan but that's a little nuts.

Screenshot_2019-09-27-16-55-51-1.png

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
At least you have digital now, right? It's a banner year for Tool fans. Just found a sold out eBay ad for over 100 bucks. I had no clue. If I could have predicted that I for real woulda bought 20 copies and flooded 'em all over eBay. I'm a huge fan but that's a little nuts.

View attachment 31582
Yeah, I got a good copy, but still. It's the only album of theirs I didn't get the day it came out. At least from aenima on. Oh well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis