The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve read that BR2049 and the redo of BR are exemplary. Se or no?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It does seem they’ve tried to force the upgrade issue on everyone with the uhd/Atmos thing. This infuriates me to no end and I wish they wouldn’t do that crap. BUT even without a uhd tv, you can still upgrade to Atmos. The the uhd player will just send the regular HD picture and you can still extract the Atmos track. And dsu/dtsnx do such a great job of upmixing older titles, why not upgrade...Also, there’s just around 350 bd titles with Atmos tracks so will quit saying there’s no content? Auro 3d in the other hand has absolutely little to no content.
Or wouldn't that be down conversion of the UHD picture to a 1080P picture? Also, 350 UHD titles is minuscule in comparison the amount DVD and even regular blu ray titles.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m cool with paying a bit more for some titles. UHD of Equalizer 1 in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD is so good (downmixed from 7.1). I am looking forward to Atmos 5.1.4 when I install the 4 ceiling speakers. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Or wouldn't that be down conversion of the UHD picture to a 1080P picture? Also, 350 UHD titles is minuscule in comparison the amount DVD and even regular blu ray titles.
Really? Minuscule?
So glad you came back to spread some more of your sunshine.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Really? Minuscule?
The indication is 350 blurays in total with Atmos/Dts:X, whereas probably around 300 new international films were released this year 2018 alone. If you add in re-releases, that number likely closer to 1000. So yes it is relatively small. Domestic releases in other countries like India or China may be much larger. Out of that 300 maybe 10% had Atmos/Dts:X in 2018

A total of 8.4 Million UHD discs were sold last year 2017, Antman and Wasp alone sold close to a million just in October.

It would be nice if all new blurays came with Atmos or Dts:X, but they won't and some films just would not benefit from it. It would be nice if all Dvd releases also had a bluray and 4K UHD discs, but they don't. So most releases are still Dvd with it's limitations. The bigger releases will have bluray and or UHD with only a small portion of that for blurays having the Atmos/Dts:X. 4K UHD pretty much always have Atmos or Dts:X however they cost 10 pounds/dollars more than a bluray which costs 5-7 pounds/dollars more than the dvd.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's just fancy lenses and photography it doesn't fool me one bit. Its nice but that sort of thing has been used to sell VHS or Laserdisc to DVD to HD-DVD and so on.
Well, it’s about looking pretty. But everything has a different opinion on what is pretty. And everyone has a different opinion on what is “cool overhead” effects and what is not cool/unrealistic.

Atmos people try to sell the idea of “real” sound just like those UHD people try to sell the idea of real image. But they should have said, “surreal sound and image”.

For people who don’t care for all that pop, it’s okay if they don’t like Atmos/DSU/UHD.

For a few of us who are willing to embrace surreal and “fun” sound and image, Atmos/DSU/UHD is a new toy to play with.

There are some Atmos movies that don’t seem to have much (if any) overhead sound effects.

But some of us are loving many other movies that do have plenty of overhead sound effects - MI Fallout, Matrix trilogy, PP Zombies, Equalizer.

And some of us are loving what DSU and NeuralX are doing for us. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Blade Runner 2049, another pressing, I have the UHD-Atmos. The bluray version with Auro3D.

Auro3D is only alavible on imported Finland, bluray, while Dolby Atmos is only available on UHD-4k.

I prefer the Dolby Atmos after trying the Auro3D the display only showed dtshdma that sort of confused me? I thought it was to display Auro3D on the screen and the sound processing modes only show Auro2D so somewhat confused? I believe the Auro2D is an up-mixer, option to be used with other sound delivery formats.

I don't have all the other speakers fitted up yet but I should have least seen something that says Auro3D on the Denon display.
That’s disappointing.

I would expect the front LCD to say “Auro3D” just like it says “Dolby Atmos” and “DTS:X Master”.

Surely the number of Atmos speakers are more than enough for Auro3D.

Definitely would like to hear your thoughts on some Auro3D contents or Auro2D Upmix.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think 1080p is fine. I think the picture can “improve” even in 1080p when they remaster some movies in UHD/4K.

And I think they can “improve” the surreal sound effects when they remaster in Atmos (Matrix trilogy, Quick and the Dead).

Again, it’s just for fun and giggles. You don’t need 4 ceiling (or more) speakers to enjoy movies.

1080p and DTS/DD can still be great.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The indication is 350 blurays in total with Atmos/Dts:X, whereas probably around 300 new international films were released this year 2018 alone. If you add in re-releases, that number likely closer to 1000. So yes it is relatively small. Domestic releases in other countries like India or China may be much larger. Out of that 300 maybe 10% had Atmos/Dts:X in 2018

A total of 8.4 Million UHD discs were sold last year 2017, Antman and Wasp alone sold close to a million just in October.

It would be nice if all new blurays came with Atmos or Dts:X, but they won't and some films just would not benefit from it. It would be nice if all Dvd releases also had a bluray and 4K UHD discs, but they don't. So most releases are still Dvd with it's limitations. The bigger releases will have bluray and or UHD with only a small portion of that for blurays having the Atmos/Dts:X. 4K UHD pretty much always have Atmos or Dts:X however they cost 10 pounds/dollars more than a bluray which costs 5-7 pounds/dollars more than the dvd.
The UHD/Atmos BD are $25-$30 in the US.

I just looked at Best Buy Lion King 1080p BD+DVD vs UHD/Atmos. The BD is $24.99 and the UHD/Atmos is $25.99.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=lion+king+blu-ray&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Oh, in case someone missed it, I think the Lion King Atmos/UHD BD sucks because I didn’t hear much (if anything) overhead. :D

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Really? Minuscule?
So glad you came back to spread some more of your sunshine.
Just being practical here. Considering what you have to do to really take advantage of just 350 titles requires that you have to basically do a complete system overhaul, really upgrading your entire audio/video system. I said a while back, in my opinion, upgrading to a Dolby Atmos sound systems doesn't really make sense if you're not going to upgrade to an UHD TV with an accompanying UHD Blu Ray player. Just upgrading the audio side alone can be costly, getting a new receiver and more speakers. I think this kind of upgrade is unprecedented in consumer electronic history.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just being practical here. Considering what you have to do to really take advantage of just 350 titles requires that you have to basically do a complete system overhaul, really upgrading your entire audio/video system. I said a while back, in my opinion, upgrading to a Dolby Atmos sound systems doesn't really make sense if you're not going to upgrade to an UHD TV with an accompanying UHD Blu Ray player. Just upgrading the audio side alone can be costly, getting a new receiver and more speakers. I think this kind of upgrade is unprecedented in consumer electronic history.
You said awhile back, “in my opinion, upgrading to a Dolby Atmos sound systems doesn't really make sense if you're not going to upgrade to an UHD TV with an accompanying UHD Blu Ray player.“
So in your practical opinion, this makes more sense by upgrading to a UHD display when you wouldn’t need to? That seems like a lot of extra cost that you wouldn’t need to incur, unless of course you have the budget anyway. Not following here.
And whatever the number of Atmos titles there are, it’s much more than the amount of movies I personally own so to me that seems like a large pool to choose from. Not to mention DSU...
I know you think it’s a waste, and I don’t think you’re being “practical”. I think you just like being a pain in the aye-55

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks for the academics bookmark. I can appreciate that. I agree that atmos should come on all bd’s. It’s a kind of extortion imo but what can ya do? Vote with your dollar? Yeah right...lol

My point was a short vent inspired the A55 who does nothing but piss on the parade wherever he goes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You said awhile back, “in my opinion, upgrading to a Dolby Atmos sound systems doesn't really make sense if you're not going to upgrade to an UHD TV with an accompanying UHD Blu Ray player.“
So in your practical opinion, this makes more sense by upgrading to a UHD display when you wouldn’t need to? That seems like a lot of extra cost that you wouldn’t need to incur, unless of course you have the budget anyway. Not following here.
And whatever the number of Atmos titles there are, it’s much more than the amount of movies I personally own so to me that seems like a large pool to choose from. Not to mention DSU...
I know you think it’s a waste, and I don’t think you’re being “practical”. I think you just like being a pain in the aye-55
I say screw it all! Just buy a big ass projector!!! :p..... And then I bought the 4k reciever..... and the speakers....... For atmos and Nueral X and stuff.... Bought not the tv I just like playing with the sound..... But I bought a big ass projector!!!!! ..... I guess that makes me a weirdo audioholic? :eek: Or may be I'm a gooooood audioholic!!!! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m cool with paying a bit more for some titles. UHD of Equalizer 1 in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD is so good (downmixed from 7.1). I am looking forward to Atmos 5.1.4 when I install the 4 ceiling speakers. :)
@snakeeyes!!!! My brotha from another motha!!!! :D I love that movie. Can't wait to watch it for the overheads on my new screen!!!! Hey how's your overheads install going! You got those speakers up there yet?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
C'mon now buddy you guys specially @ William Lemmerhirt motivated to get a bigger TV! Well not a TV but it's definetly bigger! Are we going to have to drive down there and help you install those speakers! ;) Lol

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I say screw it all! Just buy a big ass projector!!! :p..... And then I bought the 4k reciever..... and the speakers....... For atmos and Nueral X and stuff.... Bought not the tv I just like playing with the sound..... But I bought a big ass projector!!!!! ..... I guess that makes me a weirdo audioholic? :eek: Or may be I'm a gooooood audioholic!!!! :D
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Audioholic.

Obsessed Audiohlics
Weirdo Audiohloics
Mad Audioholics
Crazy Audioholics
Nuts Audioholics
Excessive Audiohloics
Scientific-minded Audiohloics
Curious Audiohloics
Constructive Audioholics
Expensive Audiohloics
Budget-minded Audioholics
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Audiohlics (that would be me) :D
Moderate Audioholics

Yeah there all sort of types here. "That keep on listening" . :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
C'mon now buddy you guys specially @ William Lemmerhirt motivated to get a bigger TV! Well not a TV but it's definetly bigger! Are we going to have to drive down there and help you install those speakers! ;) Lol
Ya I stacked a cord of wood yesterday so I’m working thru my honey do list at least.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
O
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Audioholic.

Obsessed Audiohlics
Weirdo Audiohloics
Mad Audioholics
Crazy Audioholics
Nuts Audioholics
Excessive Audiohloics
Scientific-minded Audiohloics
Curious Audiohloics
Constructive Audioholics
Expensive Audiohloics
Budget-minded Audioholics
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Audiohlics (that would be me) :D
Moderate Audioholics

Yeah there all sort of types here. "That keep on listening" . :)
I think..... I'm all of the above :eek:

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
That’s disappointing.

I would expect the front LCD to say “Auro3D” just like it says “Dolby Atmos” and “DTS:X Master”.

Surely the number of Atmos speakers are more than enough for Auro3D.

Definitely would like to hear your thoughts on some Auro3D contents or Auro2D Upmix.
I even tried with adjusting the channel configurations which I feel is unnecessary but gave it a try and nope that didn't seem to do it, eve thou no VOG is currently being used.

They should fit more RCA, or rather D-25 connectors on the back of AVR's now so that each of the many D-25 used for each sound delivery format so that no one has to mess around with settings all the time.

Lots of Free D-25 cables supplied with every AVR made mandatory :D for D-25 to XLR plug / D-25 for TRS for unbalanced D-25 to RCA.

For LFE.1 the XLR will come with a FREE XLR box splitter for up x10 subs for each of the sound zone format outputs.

Each AVR to be sold comes with a plug in to back of AVR, 4U frame rack mountable easy to see LCD channel output that shows what channels are active and there db scale levels from -60db to + 20db

-----
D-25 balanced/unbalanced connectors
Dolby Amos D-25 zone 1 connectors
Dolby Atmos
1) D-25 balanced for: (1) Left, (2) centre, (3) right, (4) left surround, (5) right surround , (6) left back surround, (7) right back surround, (8) LFE.1

Dolby Atmos continued
2) D-25 balanced for: (9) Height 1 LR, (10) Height 2 LR, (11) Height 3 LR, (12) Height 4 LR

Dolby Atmos continued
3) D-25 balanced (13) Front Left Wide, (14) Front Right Wide, and just my 1pence (15) Front Below Surround Left, (16) Front Below Surround Right, (17) Middle Below Surround Left, (18) Middle Below Surround Right, (19) Middle Below Surround Right

Dolby Atmos continued reserved for future firmware upgrade
4) D-25 balanced (20) Back Below Surround Left, (21) Back Below Surround Right, (22) Additional Left-centre, (23) Additional Right-centre, (24) Upper corner Left side surround, (25) Upper corner Right side surround, (26) Upper back corner surround Left, (27) Upper back corner

Dolby Atmos continued reserved for future firmware upgrade for extra screen channels
5) D-25 balanced (28) Upper Front Left, (29) Upper Front Right, (30) Upper Front Centre, (31) Below Front Left, (32) Below Front Right, (33) Below Front Centre

----------------------------------------------
25-D-balanced/unbalanced connectors
dts-x zone 2 connectors
1) (1) Left, (2) Centre, (3) Right, (4) Left Surround, (5) Right Surround, (6) Back Left Surround, (7) Back Right Surround, (8) LFE.1

dts-x zone 2 continued2) (9) Left Front Height, (10) Right Front Height, (11) Centre Front Height, (12) Left Rear Height, (13) Right Rear Height

-----------------------------------------------
25-D-balanced/unbalanced connectors
Auro3D zone 3 connectors
1) (1) Left, (2) Right, (3) Right, (4) Left Surround, (5) Right surround, (6) LFE.1

2) (7) Left Height 1, (8) Right Height 2, (9) Centre Height 3, (10) Left surround Height 4, (11) Right Surround Height 5, (12) VOG

So all AVR made produced with these formats should mandatory have Nine D-25 connects marked with a colour band and zone.
Zone 1 Atmos
Zone 2 dts-x
Zone 3 Auro3D

Dolby should have vintage Pro-logic, Pro-logic II, Pro-Logic IIx, Pro-logic IIz, Dolby Surround upmixer

Auto/Manual EQ for each sound formats to correct frequency response of speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis