The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
C'mon now buddy you guys specially @ William Lemmerhirt motivated to get a bigger TV! Well not a TV but it's definetly bigger! Are we going to have to drive down there and help you install those speakers! ;) Lol
I’d love a road trip!
Btw, I feel like I should apologize. But nah...

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Doctor, doctor, I have Audioholic syndrome.

Oh when does that "Red Tails" Auro3D arrive?

Overhead Audioholic. :D "Calling the cybertron" oh, dear.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’d love a road trip!
Btw, I feel like I should apologize. But nah...
Those pictures don't do it justice movies Netflix my direct tv they are all friggin AMAZING on that screen and combing it with the audio ahhhhhhhhh sweet Baskin Robbins Batman!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Oh figured out how to enable the Auro3D, it was in the Amp Assign settings that switches the Auro3D to ON and then registers on the SOUND MODE.

1.jpg

I don't have the rest of the speakers fitted in yet and that is going to be awkward as space in the room at the front not high enough to fit another x3 JBL control 12SR, in place not without lowering the stage which isn't an option as the three-to-five screen will be too low down. So I have to figure it out?

2.jpg

Tested the Top Surround TS "VOG" that is set on Height 3 and outputted to left output. I had brief listen to it then switched the Height 3 to OFF as its playing over to the left and I not yet fitted up a 7th JBL control 5 to the ceiling yet.

3.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just being practical here. Considering what you have to do to really take advantage of just 350 titles requires that you have to basically do a complete system overhaul, really upgrading your entire audio/video system. I said a while back, in my opinion, upgrading to a Dolby Atmos sound systems doesn't really make sense if you're not going to upgrade to an UHD TV with an accompanying UHD Blu Ray player. Just upgrading the audio side alone can be costly, getting a new receiver and more speakers. I think this kind of upgrade is unprecedented in consumer electronic history.
I definitely understand your reluctance to upgrade to Atmos. I felt the exact same way as you for a few years and also thought Atmos would fade away like 3D video. But it has been 6 years since Atmos began (2012). Almost 7 years. Atmos is not going away.

But if your system already sounds great, there is no need to spend money and time to upgrade.

You will know when the time is right to upgrade to Atmos - when you upgrade your AVR because most (if not all) AVRs these days have Atmos.

Then it's just a matter of wanting or being willing to spend the time to install those inexpensive small Atmos speakers somewhere above you - doesn't have to be directly overhead you.

I don't think it's about money. Your little Atmos speakers can be $50 speakers or less if you buy used ones. Those little cube speakers (Bose or other) will also work for Atmos.

In the mean time, just enjoy your present system.

Many of us have enjoyed our non-Atmos systems for a many years. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not everyone can or want to upgrade to Atmos for a variety of reasons. I can be understanding of their reasons.

And we all have that natural tendency to justify our actions.

For those of us who have Atmos home theaters (which is probably like 1% of the population :D), we like to spread the word (both positive and negative). :D

There are some contents that have no business doing Atmos. They give Atmos a bad name. Same with DTSX and probably Auro3D.

But there are many contents that get me very excited about Atmos.

I still haven't re-watched Blade Runner 2049 in Atmos.

Upcoming: The Predator and Venom in Atmos.

Too many Atmos movies, so little time. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The old BR still looks old. :D

The new BR2049 looks and sounds awesome even in the 1080p regular blu-ray.
Yeah I did see that reports said it looked old and dated, but the atmos redo is supposed to be amazing. I’m not sure I could get past the nasty old video lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I did see that reports said it looked old and dated, but the atmos redo is supposed to be amazing. I’m not sure I could get past the nasty old video lol.
Yeah, the old video turned me off. So I didn't bother with the Atmos version.

There are so many good Atmos BD's now that I don't bother with most of the old movies.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the old video turned me off. So I didn't bother with the Atmos version.

There are so many good Atmos BD's now that I don't bother with most of the old movies.
Me too. I have a hard time with old video. But once in awhile I’ll sit through some dumb a$$ stuff like DC cab or some other campy stuff from my youth. Ahh...youth.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Me too. I have a hard time with old video. But once in awhile I’ll sit through some dumb a$$ stuff like DC cab or some other campy stuff from my youth. Ahh...youth.
I couldn't even handle the old videos on Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump.

We are so spoiled. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Auro3D / Lucafilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL

Played the Auro3D version at least 5 times today while installing new amplifiers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I couldn't even handle the old videos on Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump.

We are so spoiled. :D
Damn man, you ain’t kiddin. Even smaller Netflix/amazon/starz studios are putting out quality stuff. Good times!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis