The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
So Disney finally started fixing there sound mix issue now if only Marvel could do the same thing.
Well Antman is Marvel, but Disney own it and it has been a big problem for over a year with all their releases.:mad: My purchases have mostly been Star Wars and Marvel films and everything has suffered because of this nonsense.:( Antman and Wasp has been the first and hopefully not the last to restore the audio level.:cool: I did not need to touch the dialo_O. Now if we could just pressure them into putting the Atmos out on the Blurays too.:D

Yes Blank Panther, Thor Rag, Avengers Infinit, Last Jedi all have this problem, others too to a lesser extent. I reckon it is around -10dB down and compressed dynamics. Solo was a bit quieter, maybe -5dB down and the dynamics were better, so maybe Antman is not really the first. Deadpool 1 was quiet but this was not under Disney at the time, Deadpool 2 is quieter too but I think is at this point, I am not entirely sure.

Some had blamed the sound guys at Skywalker but they did a number of other films at the same time which oddly don't have this problem, curious no?:confused:

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
But that much overhead actions throughout the ENTIRE movie?
I had a think about this, and of course it's not really 100%, that's just madness, there are actually a couple of quiet moments.:D However I think they needed the bass layer open for all the stunt effects so a lot of the music is in the overhead. It is really quite weird compared to other films.:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well Antman is Marvel, but Disney own it and it has been a big problem for over a year with all their releases.:mad: My purchases have mostly been Star Wars and Marvel films and everything has suffered because of this nonsense.:( Antman and Wasp has been the first and hopefully not the last to restore the audio level.:cool: I did not need to touch the dialo_O. Now if we could just pressure them into putting the Atmos out on the Blurays too.:D

Yes Blank Panther, Thor Rag, Avengers Infinit, Last Jedi all have this problem, others too to a lesser extent. I reckon it is around -10dB down and compressed dynamics. Solo was a bit quieter, maybe -5dB down and the dynamics were better, so maybe Antman is not really the first. Deadpool 1 was quiet but this was not under Disney at the time, Deadpool 2 is quieter too but I think is at this point, I am not entirely sure.

Some had blamed the sound guys at Skywalker but they did a number of other films at the same time which oddly don't have this problem, curious no?:confused:
Yeah I agree I wish they'd get it figured out have to have heard feedback from some of us consumers

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

disney seem high on their products also being in LIEMAX and I hate disney and imax LIEMAX over Bose, I personally don't have beef with Bose, but disney yes they SUCK with star wars PERIOD! And imax, I mean LIEMAX also sucks PERIOD!

Never ever buying disney movies again for this home after those utterly rubbish prequel disney star wars stories and those rubbish Mary Sue star wars movies. I'd rather watch a chimpanzee washing a cat on youtube each December year now for 2 months in a row.
I don't care if disney sticks 0.5Hz on there crappy movies, I am not interested in them or the crap they produce at this present day now.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
skywalker sound seems to SUCK now. Enough about them they no longer all the hype they used to be and yes sick of hearing that stupid "Wilhelm scream" I'd rather eat cat litter instead.

Oh and John Williams music now for star wars sucks PERIOD! Why does it suck? He no longer uses the LSO that has been famous with the six STAR WARS films. I smell BS when he says he doesn't feel like traveling I smell disney wanting to use a USA orchestra over our British best LSO as the sound of that star wars mary sue movie sounded tonally all wrong not even the same signature acoustical space of Abbey Road studios which is how famous in the world? Yeah I rest my case and star wars is DEAD! Good riddance to it as I don't care for mary sue or black stormtopper, or that Asian, chick. disney, kk and jar jar abrams sodden well, keep it!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Just let it all out Andy, Vent. :D
How can I vent when my nose gets stuffy and blocked with mucus drying up so fast in my nose it vexes me I have to shove something up my nose to pick around to loosen the stickyness that has dried up inside it, while reducing the exhaling though the nose and yes its connected with Atmos sound as if | don't get sufficient air flow though my nose it affects my hearing even that spray up the nose is useless. Peppermints now those seem to clear the passage and may for good listening for the tubes in the nose and ears.

George Lucas mentioned in a rare video about THX is, "like being in an airplane with a cold"? Something like that if I can find that rare video on one of the VHS tapes I have.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't really want to do spoilers for anyone that has not seen it yet.:) But, simply the rain, about 5 min in is the best done I have heard to date for a complete overhead,:eek: The first 20 mins up to the intro credits is excellent and just keeps going from there.The music appears a lot in the overhead, the helicopters, general ambiance, car and bike chases, spot effects. Honestly, Rampage, Kong, Hacksaw, Ready Player all have moments, but not compared to this:D. Just my opinion, others may differ. o_O It is also stuffed to the gunnels with the stunt craziness.
I will second that MI Fallout has very active overhead sound effects.

I wouldn’t say the ceiling speakers were active for most of the movies. I heard more sound from the main front speakers and surround speakers than the ceiling speakers. But the ceiling speakers did have a lot of action.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I watched about 10 minutes of "The Lion King" in Atmos just out of curiosity. I also checked out a thunderstorm/rain scene. I couldn't hear much from the ceiling speakers. So I would say this is probably a total ripoff in terms of Atmos effects.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I watched about 10 minutes of "The Lion King" in Atmos just out of curiosity. I also checked out a thunderstorm/rain scene. I couldn't hear much from the ceiling speakers. So I would say this is probably a total ripoff in terms of Atmos effects.
That is mostly in a desert with bare dry ground and rain fall doesn't make audio sound in thin falling free air its just not audible in the way you and many others are thinking?

Rain only makes a sound once the water water particles have made contract with surface contacts be it a birds body feathers flying many meters above us where the sound will be heard there first and as it descends downwards freefall will be heard by us many hundreds of m/s later mostly on ground surface or like I have repeatably mentioned now till blue in the face, depending on the surroundings could be a, tree/s out in the open and the sound makes it appear we think we hear it above due to frequency of the spattering all around we hear it or perceive it as wide openness and this tries to fool me when it rains when I'm outside, listening t the Real Natural Sounding world.

This is why we need more channels or beds, even thou I am in bed now as yesterday and day before putting all this equipment and rack systems together has worn me out so gonna take a break from it for a day or so.

So the bed channel where the sound is sleepy and then turned or extracted away from the sleepy bed channel is sent overhead.What an utter waste of ones listening time! Least for rain effects to create a proper sense and again Atmos, like all the rest is bullshit overhead marketing. Clearly Dolby labs haven't a clue what real rain sound like nor do sound editors or dubbing mixers and certainly not directors that sign these mixes off at the end of mixing to bullshit audiences in cinemas.

Take thunder that does happen overhead as well as the sound is gonna to reflect from ground surface and many obstacles all around us. Also thunder can reverberate a house with sound to surface impacts against the house roof travel though wooden framing and be sensed as a vibration! I heard felt many in past and room is concrete based flooring with brick walls to the loft of wooden beams and the roof itself. Also can vibrate windows if they are flimsy. This soundly sound common sense that mixers don't see to have and they bullshit us with too much common mixing cliches.

As for, The Lion King, only was loaned it on THX laserdisc many decades ago and do not care to buy it now as disney sucks with star wars. But I do understand what your saying as I recall the rain scene in the movie.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I check actual “realism” at the door. I just want to hear something overhead.

If not unrealistic-rain overhead, then at least thunder. Just give me something.

But, yeah, Disney sucks.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I check actual “realism” at the door. I just want to hear something overhead.

If not unrealistic-rain overhead, then at least thunder. Just give me something.

But, yeah, Disney sucks.
Airplanes are not heard overhead. It all depends on where you are in the sky. If between airplanes flying around say above and below you should hear overhead and Below surround which is the logical way to hear sound.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Comments like yours above seem all too common, which is why I opined that Atmos would go the way of 3D TV.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Airplanes are not heard overhead. It all depends on where you are in the sky. If between airplanes flying around say above and below you should hear overhead and Below surround which is the logical way to hear sound.
Right, that is the logic that Auro-3D use.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t really care so much about being 100% realistic.

I want “special extraordinary sound effects”, not “100% realistic effetcs”.

If a humming bird flies overhead, I want to hear it on my ceiling speakers as if I’m Superman, not some boring realistic humans.

When I’m in my home theater room, I don’t want some boring reality. I have plenty of realistic sounds in life that I never hear or talk about because it’s real boring. It’s right outside my home theater room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I see 4K UHD videos of nature and animals, they actually look more vibrant and colorful than actual real life.

So no, I don’t want 100% real life when I’m in my home theater room.

But, everyone is different. Some people want fantasy and bigger than life. Some people want just real life.

So yeah, if you want the regular sounds of real life, which means 99% of the time you won’t hear anything overhead, than don’t get Atmos. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I don’t really care so much about being 100% realistic.

I want “special extraordinary sound effects”, not “100% realistic effetcs”.

If a humming bird flies overhead, I want to hear it on my ceiling speakers as if I’m Superman, not some boring realistic humans.

When I’m in my home theater room, I don’t want some boring reality. I have plenty of realistic sounds in life that I never hear or talk about because it’s real boring. It’s right outside my home theater room.
Yeah but Superman can be heard in BELOW SURROUND if flying above in the sky it depends on where the camera is and how wide the angle is and which direction Superman flies to. Overhead is bit, Overrated. :D I guess Below Surround will be Underneath, Underrated. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The Hunt For Red October (1990) VHS being played again to test the Denon AVC-X8500H Zone 2 output that is connected up to Dolby CP500, where I tried few months ago with the Marantz SR6012m but wasn't getting any joy as the signal was rather low in level and unacceptable for use.

The Denon AVC-X8500H has extra settings and after giving it another try as the Dolby DSU sounds totally wrong it makes the Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 matrix sound WORSE! This due to DSU creating fake stereo surround additional matrix overhead surround that has dialouge easily heard as splatter and it sounds BAD with DSU. Atmos on its own is okay enough said. I like to listen to classic DOLBY STEREO 424 films without hearing fake stereo surround and extra cross-talk bleeding into the surrounds when (MUTING LCR) for close listening of the mono matrix surround.

Not all Dolby 424 matrix mixes often have a good isolated matrix surround that is free from common + centre leaking into the surround. Often its faintly heard many -db below the LCR channels.

Using the DOLBY SR on the CP500 as the Real SR is being used as an expariament on the HF horns but is switched in Bypass at present. They was tried to see if I can reduce the common hiss produced by the Behringer DCX2496.

The SR gives the film extra punch and crisper highs. There is some faint low hum before the film starts and SR eliminated the VHS tape hum.

Some cinemas that I have listened to in the pass all produce hiss heard when no music is being played on the non-sync on the Dolby processor. I would often hear hiss from the HF horns, even a sub bass at another cinema as it maybe crossover filtered at processor end but no filtering at the amplifier output to filter hiss that is only heard when just few feet away from the sub.

If anyone has a proper Dolby pro-logic use it, its not bad what is bad DSU that makes the film sound like nothing like how it was at the cinema. Too bad there isn't Dolby pro-logic on these AVR's all the bells and whistles? I guess some, just don't listen.

While the DSU is okay with how it sort of clamps down or cancels out certain sound frequencies in the centre making the sound heard a lot more easily on the front left/right.

Like, Jonsey said in the film. : "Now that I know what to listen for, I'll bag him." Once I listen I sort of memorize it or loop the sound in my head as the mind has incredible storage capacity.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
When I see 4K UHD videos of nature and animals, they actually look more vibrant and colorful than actual real life.

So no, I don’t want 100% real life when I’m in my home theater room.

But, everyone is different. Some people want fantasy and bigger than life. Some people want just real life.

So yeah, if you want the regular sounds of real life, which means 99% of the time you won’t hear anything overhead, than don’t get Atmos. :D
That's just fancy lenses and photography it doesn't fool me one bit. Its nice but that sort of thing has been used to sell VHS or Laserdisc to DVD to HD-DVD and so on.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Right, that is the logic that Auro-3D use.
Blade Runner 2049, another pressing, I have the UHD-Atmos. The bluray version with Auro3D.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Auro3D is only alavible on imported Finland, bluray, while Dolby Atmos is only available on UHD-4k.

I prefer the Dolby Atmos after trying the Auro3D the display only showed dtshdma that sort of confused me? I thought it was to display Auro3D on the screen and the sound processing modes only show Auro2D so somewhat confused? I believe the Auro2D is an up-mixer, option to be used with other sound delivery formats.

4.jpg

I don't have all the other speakers fitted up yet but I should have least seen something that says Auro3D on the Denon display.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis