panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No matter how much HP you have...you end up wanting more HP...

It's like the old saying, "Once you have seen one pair of boobs....you pretty much want to see all of them..."
Both are very true. Nice Ron White reference.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
No opinions at all on either of these? In addition to 370z owners who hate practical cars...
I hate Lexus, I have no reason too beside they have gone overboard with the looks and they have no feel on the road.

Never driven an Infinity but I have owned a million Nissans and always liked them.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I hate Lexus, I have no reason too beside they have gone overboard with the looks and they have no feel on the road.

Never driven an Infinity but I have owned a million Nissans and always liked them.
Agree about the Lexus part. Can't say I'm a big fan of Nissans though. Nearly every week i get to choose between an Altima and a Malibu, and it only took one drive months ago to make it the Malibu every time. And I'm not that impressed with the Malibu. Even the GT-R doesn't turn me on.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
It is interesting how people identify with one brand and hate another. I've always liked Nissan. My first vehicle as a 16 year old was an 88 Nissan mini truck. But I've hated Chevy for years. I find them very unattractive. Especially the latest camaros. I've had 2 camaros in my life, the 69 was amazing and I should not have let it go, but also had an 84 which was a major piece of junk. I rebuilt a 1980 corvette several years ago which was another big mistake. That year car was voted the worst car ever made in the US and I can vouch for that. Nothing on that car fit together properly and I had to re-engineer a lot when I rebuilt the interior. Granted these are old cars I'm talking about, but I've had a lot of cars over the years and the Japanese stuff is just built better. I hate to say it, but it's true. So thats what I buy now.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It is interesting how people identify with one brand and hate another. I've always liked Nissan. My first vehicle as a 16 year old was an 88 Nissan mini truck. But I've hated Chevy for years. I find them very unattractive. Especially the latest camaros. I've had 2 camaros in my life, the 69 was amazing and I should not have let it go, but also had an 84 which was a major piece of junk. I rebuilt a 1980 corvette several years ago which was another big mistake. That year car was voted the worst car ever made in the US and I can vouch for that. Nothing on that car fit together properly and I had to re-engineer a lot when I rebuilt the interior. Granted these are old cars I'm talking about, but I've had a lot of cars over the years and the Japanese stuff is just built better. I hate to say it, but it's true. So thats what I buy now.
'80 Vette voted worst car ?? by whom, you ?? You're obviously young(lucky bastard) for there were far worse cars !

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
...the Japanese stuff is just built better. I hate to say it, but it's true. So thats what I buy now.
I'm probably the least brand-loyal person you'll ever meet, and Japanese cars are neither better designed nor better built than European cars. As I've already said, I like a Malibu better, which is quite an insult. Hondas are probably the best of the bunch, IMO, but nothing short of an NSX gets me excited. Even Audi can't get transverse engine architecture to drive well. Last year I was on a late flight and could only get a Corolla rental car. Terrible. I also had a Camry early this year, and I just don't understand what Car and Driver sees in it. Maybe Toyota advertising is just worth stretching the truth for.

Lest you think I'm somehow biased towards domestic cars, I haven't owned one in 12 years (and that was a Corvette that didn't impress me like I thought it would). I think GM and Ford are lost, and I'm not a Jeep fan so Fiat/Chrysler doesn't wow me either. I'll admit though, I don't know anything about Japanese trucks. I know some folks who think a Toyota pick-up is awesome.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you insist on a Japanese thing, have you considered the Acura TLX with the V6 and AWD?
TLX according to the internets seems slower [5.7-5.8]. Looking for about 5 seconds 0-60 or very near it
2014 RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD is measured to do 5.1s [2018 is a bit faster], but 2014 RLX Hybrid AWD is rare and 7-8k more expensive. Not sure if extra $ is worth it.
M56 does 4.8s. Actually looks like 2014 Q50s Hybrid performs about same and cost same. fuel savings would be nice, but not that important.

Seems like the general consensus is against Lexus, and I'm fine with that. They have slightly better reliability, but lack of road feel is a big issue for me.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I bought it in my 30s for my first mid life crisis. This was 10 years ago. I read an article somewhere, can't find it now, but heres one where they voted it 3rd worst vet of all time. Now that I think about it, I probably meant it was voted worst vet, not worst car.

1980 CA 305. (Mine had a 350 in it by the time it got to me, but was built with the 305)
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/top-10-worst-corvettes-of-all-time.html

3. 1980 Corvette 305
In general, 1980 was a lousy year. Inflation was rampant, the economy was in the doldrums and the Corvette was awful. But in California it was doubly awful, as Chevrolet that year gave up trying to certify the Corvette's 350-cubic-inch V8 for that state's more stringent emissions requirements. So if you wanted a new Corvette that year in Los Angeles or San Francisco or Sacramento, you had to settle for one with a 305-cubic-inch V8 and a three-speed automatic transmission. That's right: a lousy, lazy 180-hp, 5.0-liter lump of small-block agony. It couldn't pull out a dangling baby tooth.

The rest of the country wasn't getting anything special in '80 either. After all, the base "L48" 350 was only rated at 190 hp and opting for the "L82" high-performance version only netted 230 hp. It was a year that sucked.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Here's a pic. It was a gorgeous car, just a pain in the rear to work on. I let me son drive it to school for his last year of HS so he had more fun in it then I did. The older I get the less I wanna fix stuff and that car needed a lot of attention. I sold it for a new HVAC system for the house lol.
20160626_092451.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm in agreement on Nissan. They just run, forever.

My old 85 Z, it still just cranks right up on the very first turn over on the engine. The wife drives a Murano, and that is the perfect car for her.

I've had relatives and coworkers with Maximas and Altimas, and they have all just been rock solid.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm probably the least brand-loyal person you'll ever meet, and Japanese cars are neither better designed nor better built than European cars. As I've already said, I like a Malibu better, which is quite an insult. Hondas are probably the best of the bunch, IMO, but nothing short of an NSX gets me excited. Even Audi can't get transverse engine architecture to drive well. Last year I was on a late flight and could only get a Corolla rental car. Terrible. I also had a Camry early this year, and I just don't understand what Car and Driver sees in it. Maybe Toyota advertising is just worth stretching the truth for.

Lest you think I'm somehow biased towards domestic cars, I haven't owned one in 12 years (and that was a Corvette that didn't impress me like I thought it would). I think GM and Ford are lost, and I'm not a Jeep fan so Fiat/Chrysler doesn't wow me either. I'll admit though, I don't know anything about Japanese trucks. I know some folks who think a Toyota pick-up is awesome.
FWIW,

In 2016, the Toyota Camry was actually the "most American" car on the road in the USA
https://www.cars.com/articles/the-2016-carscom-american-made-index-1420684865874/

Toyota trucks are built in San Antonio, Tx.

And, Toyota has long been recognized as pioneers in 6Sigma (Statistical Process Control).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I give up. Cars are so expensive.

Public Transit.
When I turn 65, I get 50% off fares in the place where I live.
I get even more off if I buy a yearly pass.
You can't beat it.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Here's a pic. It was a gorgeous car, just a pain in the rear to work on. I let me son drive it to school for his last year of HS so he had more fun in it then I did. The older I get the less I wanna fix stuff and that car needed a lot of attention. I sold it for a new HVAC system for the house lol.
View attachment 25855
yes the Ca 305's were a POS and those of us in the Corvette community are well aware of that. Generally speaking the last of the St Louis C3's are not the best investment. I know Irv mentioned the first year C3('68), the only real problem was body seam issues that unless you own a 'survivor' one would assume you've fixed them.

Unfortunately the C3 , Corvettes longest running generation went from the pinnacle of performance ('69 ZL1) to what you owned in the end. Of the 6 Corvettes I've owned over the past 41 plus years, three of them were C3's ('69, '73, '79)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I would have preferred a 70s model but the 80 was the only one i could fine within driving distance of me. I always hated the bubble back window.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Of course we would all prefer to buy American (well, those of us in America anyways),but I'm not throwing my money away. I've got kids to raise and if a better deal exists from another country thats the route Im going. In my personal experience with cars, Japan makes em better. Thats my experience and mine alone based on what I've owned.

Your Mileage May Vary. (See what I did there!) :) lol

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
My next car is either going to be this:
1537393830694.png

Or this:
1537393893937.png

I'm having a hard time making up my mind - seriously...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis