slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Of course we would all prefer to buy American (well, those of us in America anyways),but I'm not throwing my money away. I've got kids to raise and if a better deal exists from another country thats the route Im going. In my personal experience with cars, Japan makes em better. Thats my experience and mine alone based on what I've owned.

Your Mileage May Vary. (See what I did there!) :) lol
With the modern global economy, the lines for Japanese vs. American cars are not clear cut any more.

Personally, I have been Ford or Nissan for quite a long time now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With the modern global economy, the lines for Japanese vs. American cars are not clear cut any more.

Personally, I have been Ford or Nissan for quite a long time now.
I rented a 2018 Nissan Maxima recently and quite liked the ride. I wouldn't mind owning one!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
One of these things is not like the other...
Indeed! The Alpha Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is a beautiful, serene luxury sedan that, which switched to "race mode" becomes a snarling 505HP beast that is a complete blast to drive!

Now that I take the train to work, my drive commute is basically nothing. Having an electric car, like the BMW i3, makes a lot of sense. Of course it is totally futuristic, eerily quiet, has the proper "boops" and "beeps" ("Where's the machine that goes 'Bing!'?) and (in the model I want) has a 13 speaker Harman Kardon audio system!

If only I could afford both...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So I've said it bunch of times before, but Until now a used 2012-2013 Infiniti M with 5,6L block and AWD was my top runner, but not I'm starting to have second thoughts.
You see there is Honda Accord 2018 2.0T Touring which I think is a solid car, decent performance (0-60 5.7sec vs 5.2-5.4 on 5.6L M). Definitely has better gas mileage and nearly the same or better gadgets.
Used 2013 Infiniti M 56x is about 20-22k [+7% sales tax] and I could lease Accord Touring (I'm assuming here) about $380-400 lease [ALL in]. Later comes with full 3-year warranty and I guess dealer may throw in oil change or two.
While the prior - is likely as-is (except NJ Car Lemons law)
So two questions:
Which one is more:
Fun?
Practical for a family of 4 (two little kids) as a second car
Makes more financial sense for 5-6 years? [including possible break-fix costs)

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Which one is more:
Fun?
Practical for a family of 4 (two little kids) as a second car
Makes more financial sense for 5-6 years? [including possible break-fix costs)
I'd trust a 5 year old honda more than a 10 year old mostly anything. And if you get the honda it's new/more reliable now. All I really care about is not breaking down. I think if you're not doing your own mechanical work, new/newer is a better bet.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One more interesting detail about 2.0t engine. It's borrowed from civic type R

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
My wife is driving a 2012 accord and it still feels like a brand new car. No rattles and never been worked on.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
LOL very weird timing, but Honda just called me and told me that my wifes car has an airbag recall. I guess its getting worked on after all.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yea. Jee Thanks, I'm looking for legit guidance before spending about $14k and I get "LOL"s. Thanks. I knew I could count on you.

/s
oh for crying out loud, you put forth two cars , a Honda and an Infinity. I gave you my selection and in all honesty if you can't understand the 'Honda' choice then by all means perhaps you should just call UBER !

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
oh for crying out loud, you put forth two cars , a Honda and an Infinity. I gave you my selection and in all honesty if you can't understand the 'Honda' choice then by all means perhaps you should just call UBER !
Not sure if I should call Uber or Lyft, but I hoped (in vain) that you could express in writing your reasoning to why Honda is a better choice. This thread is not a multiple choice question on an exam, but an attempt to solicit hands-on experience from car owners or at least people who drove either or both of these cars. How they both drive, how expensive is to live with them, how practical these are.... etc...

Last edited:
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Not sure if I should call Uber or Lyft, but I hoped (in vain) that you could express in writing your reasoning to why Honda is a better choice. This thread is not a multiple choice question on an exam, but an attempt to solicit hands-on experience from car owners or at least people who drove either or both of these cars. How they both drive, how expensive is to leave with them, how practical these are.... etc...
Given the two choices, I would go with the Honda. The Accords have a long history of reliability and Honda works to maintain that reputation. It's been their bread-and-butter car for many years.

The Infinity brand also has a decent reputation but is owned by the Mitsubishi/Nissan/Renault alliance. While good, I don't have a positive opinion of the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi brand combo. Just from past experience and also with rentals by them.

But for Sh@ts and Giggles, I looked up the Consumer Reports for auto brands published in 2017. Infinity was ranked 7 and Honda at 9. But that ranking is based on all models and Honda has more models in their review. The quality ratings for each model was locked so that doesn't help.

In the end, it comes down to a 6-7 year old Infinity with unknown maintenance and care vs. a new Honda with known maintenance and care. Price is a factor so maybe look at 1-2 year old Honda's coming off lease. I'm not a fan of leasing as you are spending money but retaining no value. I'm not a fan of buying new due to depreciation. But there are times when buying new is nice and makes sense.

Now that I have waffled for 4 paragraphs...I'd look for a nice used Ferrari as you can get into them for about $20k. Yeah, your maintenance and repairs costs will totally suck compared to a Honda or Infinity, but it's a Ferrari. It's also mucho mucho less reliable. But it's looks cool in your garage even when it doesn't work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis