Yamaha R-N803 stereo network receiver with YPAO bass mgt!

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
Thanks for posting those screenshots! It does appear that I can do what I want to do with this "receiver", but it relies on an app to fully use the product which could or could not be supported 2, 3, 5, 10 years from now. I guess that's the new world we live in. :) I'll roll with it.
I have had similar concerns about other components over the years. To protect myself somewhat when I update my iPhone or my iPad I keep the old one in reserve just in case I need to have it stop software updating and then I could always use it as a legacy device to control the receiver. At least for now I don’t have any worries that Yamaha will go away LOL. Good luck with your unit and report back about your impressions of the unit or with more questions!

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
It is not too thorough nor objective nor particularly good, but here is a review of this receiver:
http://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/28-yamaha-rn803-network-stereo-receiver
Something is going on with this product with Yamaha right now, not sure what. My unit has worked quite well but had a firmware update issue from the moment it came out of the box. The unit had reported there was an update even when there was not, and, even when Yamaha released a firmware update it would not take. I was able to get mine to update by having it sent back to my vendor and their repair techs were able to do it via USB using the firmware update process for the prior model (R-N602) from the service manual procedure (not the publicly published method). So far all is well, but, it remains to be seen if this will now work properly once the next update comes out.

Which leads me to the comment now, I have noticed on Yamaha's page that all the prior firmware updates have been removed from the R-N803 download section. As of this morning the description of the product on the main site is gone as well, although my one review is still there:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/index.html

Not sure what is up with all this. It does not effect my overall satisfaction with the receiver and I would certainly buy it again even with this one glitch. It will remain to be seen what all this means. I have received notices from Spotify that the firmware for their app will be updated in December in all my Yamaha products, so I was anxious to see another firmware update to see if this first issue was resolved.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Something is going on with this product with Yamaha right now, not sure what. My unit has worked quite well but had a firmware update issue from the moment it came out of the box. The unit had reported there was an update even when there was not, and, even when Yamaha released a firmware update it would not take. I was able to get mine to update by having it sent back to my vendor and their repair techs were able to do it via USB using the firmware update process for the prior model (R-N602) from the service manual procedure (not the publicly published method). So far all is well, but, it remains to be seen if this will now work properly once the next update comes out.

Which leads me to the comment now, I have noticed on Yamaha's page that all the prior firmware updates have been removed from the R-N803 download section. As of this morning the description of the product on the main site is gone as well, although my one review is still there:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/index.html

Not sure what is up with all this. It does not effect my overall satisfaction with the receiver and I would certainly buy it again even with this one glitch. It will remain to be seen what all this means. I have received notices from Spotify that the firmware for their app will be updated in December in all my Yamaha products, so I was anxious to see another firmware update to see if this first issue was resolved.
Thanks for the info!
Please keep us updated as things unfold!

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
It is surprising that this is the first "non-exotic" stereo receiver to offer the roomEQ and bass management systems that are taken for granted in an AVR!
With the retro look and bass management, I can't help but think of the Outlaw RR2160 (though I doubt Outlaw is much of a "blip" on Yamaha's radar).
On the positive, it has YPAO, will manage the sub crossover, and can remember sound configurations associated with different sources. Well networked supporting digital and streaming.
On the negative, the performance of the amp section look more like a receiver and less like an integrated amp with a built-in tuner (and doesn't have pre-outs). Outlaw wins the power war. The amp section should do fine with most speakers, but I think if they just produced the preamp section for the same price, they would have an interesting/attractive product.
The 8ohm power is 100 watts per channel RMS, 20-20kHz, 0.019%THD; but the 4ohm is speced at 160 watts at 1kHz, 0.7%THD.

Nonetheless, this looks like an attractive product for someone that wants a 2.1 or 2.2 stereo setup and has reasonably well behaved speakers (efficiency and impedance/phase).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803/index.html
Having room EQ and bass management on a stereo receiver is shocking. Believe it or not, I was in a high end audio shop and actually heard the R-N803 paired with the Paradigm Persona 3F towers. A Yamaha rep was visiting and put that receiver through its networking paces. To me, that was a real “out of scale” pairing. How did this sound? Unbelievably great! It wasn’t the absolute best that I’ve ever heard. Still, WOW! As for the subwoofer issue that you are referring to, I cannot comment on that, because I don’t remember a subwoofer being used.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
In 1 of my systems for stereo/vinyl I am using an RS700, same amplifier as the 803. It does very well driving some high end Revel loudspeakers, for the phono cartridge using a Denon DL103S/AU-320 steup-up transformer. I have an extensive vinyl collection of rare audiophile and mobile-fidelity test pressings..

I do have a modified, prototype Marantz 510M that I have swapped out for the RS700 for comparison, both sound clean and tight. Though with the 510M I can drive the system harder..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

Jeff Allen

Jeff Allen

Audiophyte
Hi, can someone with an r-n803 tell me: can one do the bass settings with the remote, or is it only possible through the app? Or can one plug it in with a cable perchance?
I assume the app has to work wirelessly through your router, hooked up to the stereo?
Bonus question:
How do you reckon the sound quality for music (not movies) is for this compared to one of yamaha's aventage av receivers?
I'm looking for something with bass control and usb stick play.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Given that I am no longer looking at/considering tube amps, the Outlaw 2160 has my full attention. Can't make the leap right now, but sooner or later I will own one. Also looking to get a set of the new Wharfedale 11.1's as soon as funds will allow. These mentioned will be my next two purchases. Sadly though, it is going to be a very good while before I can. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I hate to say this, if it will be a long while anyway, why plan on settling on Wharfedale? For their looks? Speakers are the most important piece, go for something better, much better..

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
Hi, can someone with an r-n803 tell me: can one do the bass settings with the remote, or is it only possible through the app? Or can one plug it in with a cable perchance?
I assume the app has to work wirelessly through your router, hooked up to the stereo?
Bonus question:
How do you reckon the sound quality for music (not movies) is for this compared to one of yamaha's aventage av receivers?
Thanks for any help!
Jeff,

There are no tone controls of any type on the remote itself, so no bass or treble management that way. Same with the loudness control. There may be some deep way of doing this via the settings button on the remote but to navigate the menus on the small screen on the front of the unit would be cumbersome even on a good day.

Bass and treble can be adjusted on the unit itself via analog style knobs. I don’t have any information related to the operation via some type of cable.

While the unit should be connected to your router for Internet use/streaming you can use the Yamaha direct connect method, which just allows your device to connect to the Yamaha without benefit of a router, the 803 acts as the wireless connection. I have only used this for setup of the unit to my regular router though, once you give the 803 your normal network credentials it disconnects the direct link. If you are connected directly to the unit in this method you are not able to use any other Internet services on your device or on the Yamaha.

I do recall in the manual (which is available to download free from Yamaha’s site) that I believe there are instructions on how to continue to just operate the Yamaha directly via their direct connect method but I really have no idea whether it gives you full control over it or just a modified set of controls.

Finally, I have compared this with an Aventage 1030 and a 2050 AVR. The sound quality is more than comparable and I would probably give the 803 a slight edge, especially after running the YPAO room correction. I will not tell you that it is a night and day difference however. Others may feel differently with whatever type of music they prefer.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I hate to say this, if it will be a long while anyway, why plan on settling on Wharfedale? For their looks? Speakers are the most important piece, go for something better, much better..
Peng, the Wharfedale 11.1's are said to be merely the same as the Reva 2's, but at a more affordable price. Although the 2160 looks rather impressive for what it is, I do think that a capable AVR will offer me more for less. Right now, funds are too tight to buy anything. Having serious health related issues that are more important. Hope to be back to myself very soon. However, it is going to be a very long bumpy road though.

BTW, I have owned much more higher end speakers and some even less so than the Wharfies. Of all that I have ever owned, the Wharfies offer more of what I am looking for. That is, just so laid-back, warm and buttery smooth. There are others out there that are similar, but can get real costly real fast. Harbeth and Spendor are two that comes to mind. Furthermore, I am also very fond of B&W which is more expensive than most as well.

Eventually, I hope to be back using said speakers in the near-field albeit my desktop. That is where I listen to all of my music nowadays. To be more specific, I am looking much closer at the KEF Q150's and/or the Q350's. Hopefully, I can get by w/o needing a sub b/c I reside in a small 1 BR apartment. Unfortunately, the apartment manager lives directly below mine. As such, given my health issues I do not need to get evicted right now.

Chances are real good that my next set of speakers will be from the likes of Wharfedale or KEF. There is also the new RBH Impression Series that have my attention and are reasonably priced. Not to mention, KEF has their Ref Line on clearance as we speak. Moreover, I have always been interested in the LS50's as well. Might get lucky in getting a set of B&W down the road and/or the Philharmonic BMR's. Who really knows. Sure never hurts to dream I always say. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Bonus question:
Thanks for any help!
If you mean the bass knob on the front panel, it looks like you can't do it with the remote. You can run YPAO using the remote.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think you will be much better off going with the RX-A1060 in terms of functionality, flexibility and probably sound quality as well. The concept to have YPAO build into a 2 channel receiver is good but not this kind of seemingly entry level unit, maybe this is Yamaha's guinea pig, just to test the market.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng, the Wharfedale 11.1's are said to be merely the same as the Reva 2's, but at a more affordable price. Although the 2160 looks rather impressive for what it is, I do think that a capable AVR will offer me more for less. Right now, funds are too tight to buy anything. Having serious health related issues that are more important. Hope to be back to myself very soon. However, it is going to be a very long bumpy road though.

BTW, I have owned much more higher end speakers and some even less so than the Wharfies. Of all that I have ever owned, the Wharfies offer more of what I am looking for. That is, just so laid-back, warm and buttery smooth. There are others out there that are similar, but can get real costly real fast. Harbeth and Spendor are two that comes to mind. Furthermore, I am also very fond of B&W which is more expensive than most as well.

Eventually, I hope to be back using said speakers in the near-field albeit my desktop. That is where I listen to all of my music nowadays. To be more specific, I am looking much closer at the KEF Q150's and/or the Q350's. Hopefully, I can get by w/o needing a sub b/c I reside in a small 1 BR apartment. Unfortunately, the apartment manager lives directly below mine. As such, given my health issues I do not need to get evicted right now.

Chances are real good that my next set of speakers will be from the likes of Wharfedale or KEF. There is also the new RBH Impression Series that have my attention and are reasonably priced. Not to mention, KEF has their Ref Line on clearance as we speak. Moreover, I have always been interested in the LS50's as well. Might get lucky in getting a set of B&W down the road and/or the Philharmonic BMR's. Who really knows. Sure never hurts to dream I always say. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I have never heard of Reva speakers, let alone Reva 2's. Sorry if I sounded negative and I really shouldn't have based on my experience with Wharfedale speakers from the 70's when I was in the UK. Back then, I found their speakers dull, flat, or what one might consider warm. I was using AR7 at the time, that also sounded warm but much more transparent than any Wharfedales, and the KEF I was familiar with at time did better than the AR7 in transparency but not in bass.

KEF has since evolved to what I would consider high end accurate class so may be Wharfedales too, though I am skeptical.

Again, I will take back my comments for now, until I have a chance to audition their recent models.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have never heard of Reva speakers, let alone Reva 2's. Sorry if I sounded negative and I really shouldn't have based on my experience with Wharfedale speakers from the 70's when I was in the UK. Back then, I found their speakers dull, flat, or what one might consider warm. I was using AR7 at the time, that also sounded warm but much more transparent than any Wharfedales, and the KEF I was familiar with at time did better than the AR7 in transparency but not in bass.

KEF has since evolved to what I would consider high end accurate class so may be Wharfedales too, though I am skeptical.

Again, I will take back my comments for now, until I have a chance to audition their recent models.
No need to apologize. We all have different tastes as speaker preference is very subjective. I have owned both the Wharfedale Diamond 220's and the Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. Loved them both, but the Dentons were warmer w/more resolution and also more refined whereas the 220's were more towards neutrality.

Have never heard/owned a KEF speaker, but chances are real good that will change as soon as funds/health allows. As mentioned, it may be a good while before I can pull the trigger. Until then, I am taking things one day at a time. BTW, here are the Reva 2's:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336REVA2RW/Wharfedale-Reva-2-Piano-Deep-Rosewood.html

There is a dealer over @Audiogon that sells the Reva 2's brand new for only $550 shipped! If it is still available when things get better for me, that may be too good of a deal to pass up on. Thus, like all things time (& my budget) will tell. :):):)

Here is the deal on the Reva 2's for only $550 shipped:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8h4gf-wharfedale-reva-2-bookshelf-loudspeakers-brand-new-in-box-5-yr-warranty-45-off-f-monitors

See this on Audiogon all of the time. Just hope it is there when the time is right for me to pull the trigger.

Cheers,

Phil

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast

Cheers,

Phil
Phil,

I was not really part of this section of the thread, but, I noted your comment about nearfield listening. While I have a lot of equipment spread around the house of all price points (including the R-N803 that this thread started being about) I also tend to listen far more to my nearfield/computer setup.

To that end, depending on your price-point (and whether you might have too much expectation bias regarding pricing of products), but, the NAD D3020 desktop amp coupled with the D8020 NAD desktop speakers have been a real winner for me. I had previously experimented with some other desktop speakers (not of the likes of the KEF units by any stretch) and had been using Audioengine P4's for a number of years until giving the NAD speakers a try coupled with the amp. It was a night-and-day difference.

The speakers are an interesting offering, seeming to be an Australian issue product that Audio Advisor has gotten a shipment of at $149 a pair ($250 savings per pair). They are not even mentioned on NAD's pages in North America at all. I put them on a pair of angled stands from Audioengine ($29 a pair) and the soundfield at my computer is very engaging and enveloping. I can even turn them up to almost too-loud at the seating position and then when I walk away from the computer area they are not nearly so loud. The apartment manager might be pleased!!

So I was able to buy the amp for $250 used from a guy and then $150 for the speakers. The speakers are specifically designed to work with the Bass EQ setting on the NAD amp, however I have a small Velodyne sub (Impact mini which is a 6.5" unit) I use instead which sits under the desk and acts as a footrest at times ha ha.

So, get over your health issues but you might give this setup a try. I think the speakers are quite revealing and I have plenty of bass the way I have it set up and can listen away without much impact to the surrounding room as well.

You will get a zillion opinions on this regarding the amp/speakers/cables and so on of course. Such is the nature of audio.

Larry

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,

I was not really part of this section of the thread, but, I noted your comment about nearfield listening. While I have a lot of equipment spread around the house of all price points (including the R-N803 that this thread started being about) I also tend to listen far more to my nearfield/computer setup.

To that end, depending on your price-point (and whether you might have too much expectation bias regarding pricing of products), but, the NAD D3020 desktop amp coupled with the D8020 NAD desktop speakers have been a real winner for me. I had previously experimented with some other desktop speakers (not of the likes of the KEF units by any stretch) and had been using Audioengine P4's for a number of years until giving the NAD speakers a try coupled with the amp. It was a night-and-day difference.

The speakers are an interesting offering, seeming to be an Australian issue product that Audio Advisor has gotten a shipment of at $149 a pair ($250 savings per pair). They are not even mentioned on NAD's pages in North America at all. I put them on a pair of angled stands from Audioengine ($29 a pair) and the soundfield at my computer is very engaging and enveloping. I can even turn them up to almost too-loud at the seating position and then when I walk away from the computer area they are not nearly so loud. The apartment manager might be pleased!!

So I was able to buy the amp for $250 used from a guy and then $150 for the speakers. The speakers are specifically designed to work with the Bass EQ setting on the NAD amp, however I have a small Velodyne sub (Impact mini which is a 6.5" unit) I use instead which sits under the desk and acts as a footrest at times ha ha.

So, get over your health issues but you might give this setup a try. I think the speakers are quite revealing and I have plenty of bass the way I have it set up and can listen away without much impact to the surrounding room as well.

You will get a zillion opinions on this regarding the amp/speakers/cables and so on of course. Such is the nature of audio.

Larry
Thanks a lot for the info Larry. Will do some reading up on the NAD desktop speakers. Been reading up on the NAD D3020 amp already. Appreciate it very much. Also, thanks for your kind words.:):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Dji

Dji

Audiophyte
View attachment 23000View attachment 23001View attachment 23002 I agree it allows various crossover settings in the app. As the prior poster indicated there is a lot of speaker adjustment that can be made. You set your sub crossover to max (or off) and the volume level at a third or so, and then the app does the rest. The YPAO microphone does the initial setup and then you can tweak things. See the photos.
Hi...
I'm now to this forum but i have the same receiver for couple of days now.
I would like to know how did you get that speaker setup options?
I have Musiccast on my Android phone but I don't have that options, but i would really like to have it.
Can you please tell me the secret :)...

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Well I guess I'm part of the potential target audience of all that ad speak. What's not to like about beautiful and brainy, right?). Oh wait, we're talking about a stereo receiver, never mind.

Yamaha music cast is pretty slick but it does not interface well with Amazon's streaming music service and it doesn't interface well with google music either. A $35 dongle takes care of both problems if you're using an android or chrome device. It does do airplay which means it works with an IOS device but there are no plans to implement Airplay 2. Still it ticks a lot of boxes if you want to stream digital music.

So does the Onkyo TX 8270 and it's cheaper ($500 list versus $750),implements google chromecast, and has HDMI inputs. I think the Onkyo TX 8270 is the better buy. Still you won't find a lot of reviews speaking glowingly of it but there are lots of positive reviews out there of the Yamaha R N803.

paspolc

paspolc

Audioholic Intern
View attachment 23000 View attachment 23001 View attachment 23002 I agree it allows various crossover settings in the app. As the prior poster indicated there is a lot of speaker adjustment that can be made. You set your sub crossover to max (or off) and the volume level at a third or so, and then the app does the rest. The YPAO microphone does the initial setup and then you can tweak things. See the photos.

Can you tell me where you got these screenshots? Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis