Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay dokey! After A LOT of help from @ATLAudio I learned my way around the mini much better. I made a notch filter! That, and played around with settings too. Got it tweaked in a little better I think. These are from this morning and includes my mains and subs in all of the sweeps.
Audyssey on
DEQ off,
Crossover 100hz
Then on the mini:
Uploaded filters from REW
+4db at 75hz
Adjusted Q to 5 to make it a notch filter

Notch Filter Audyssey On DEQ   Off.jpg
Notch Filter eq1 eq2 overlay.jpg

No smoothing.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not just pretty graphs either. This is the best I've heard my system sound. @Bucknekked is gonna have to come over again and check it out!

Wasn't without a lot of frustration, sweat and tears though. I have never ever ever done anything with eq outside of room correction. This is not for the feint of heart, but if you put in the time it's worth it. There's more improvement adding the mini than I thought there would be. I'm listening to some music right now with a big ol' grin on my face.

Thank you everyone for all of the help! This was one hell of a journey and despite my trial and error ways of doing things, it was fun too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice job J! I remember the gauntlet that was learning how to use the archaic Behringer feedback destroyer. You've done your due diligence and have been rewarded. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a mini when I get home tonight.
Nice job mofo!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice job J! I remember the gauntlet that was learning how to use the archaic Behringer feedback destroyer. You've done your due diligence and have been rewarded. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a mini when I get home tonight.
Nice job mofo!
Thank you! I consider what I've done the last couple of days real work. I busted my ass trying to learn it as fast as I could, but in the end I had to slow down a little and take a breath. ATL was a HUGE help also. We exchanged numbers and he was guiding me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you! I consider what I've done the last couple of days real work. I busted my ass trying to learn it as fast as I could, but in the end I had to slow down a little and take a breath. ATL was a HUGE help also. We exchanged numbers and he was guiding me.
Nice! Glad you could get in touch directly with someone who could guide you. Also glad to see a plan come together. It was fun to join in. Even if just a little.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice! Glad you could get in touch directly with someone who could guide you. Also glad to see a plan come together. It was fun to join in. Even if just a little.
It was fun! Everyone who participated made it fun. I would have been weeks trying to figure it out on my own. I was in the process of googling "notch filter minidsp 2x4 hd" When ATL hit me up this morning.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is a fair amount I was missing before this. I'm listening to all of my music again. It doesn't just play really deep, it thumps you in the chest now. If you guys remember, at the start of this thread I said that my towers had more mid bass presence by themselves in direct mode that I wasn't getting with my subs on. That has flip flopped. The mid bass sounds better than the towers in direct with the subs on now. That was, ultimately what I was going for.

Everything I did was like a rough draft and I'm probably gonna redo it now that I'm much more familiar with the menus in the mini. Not today though... I'm gonna enjoy it for a while first!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I know the red is your final (for now) curve, but I'm not clear on what the purple curve represents!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
His HSU subs with EQ2
With the miniDSP?
What do you attribute the improvement from 15-20Hz to?
That is the big difference, otherwise, I would consider the curves pretty equivalent (as in both excellent)!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious. Since I don't see what looks like a house, er pogre curve. Are you not using deq? I mean flat is great but...;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious. Since I don't see what looks like a house, er pogre curve. Are you not using deq? I mean flat is great but...;)
Yeah, DEQ is off. I was going for flat. Of course now I have DEQ on and +6db for my subs. There's a house curve, trust me. Mebbe later I'll do a sweep.
With the miniDSP?
What do you attribute the improvement from 15-20Hz to?
That is the big difference, otherwise, I would consider the curves pretty equivalent (as in both excellent)!
Purple is eq2 on the Hsus. I started fresh this morning and re-did everything. I did stuff I wasn't supposed to mess with last night. yes, it's with Audyssey on, no DEQ

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Again. Looks great!
Thanks Bill! I'm pretty tickled right now. I've got it turned up pretty good at this moment (-15), enjoying some tunes. It's really cool to hear all of those tweaks in my music that I can see in the measurements. My son walked in a little bit ago and asked again if I did something with the subs, "Seems like you have more bass now". :D It's not one of those cases where I think there's a positive change, it's pretty obvious and he caught it too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice job mofo!
I'll pull the trigger, may be tomorrow, assuming the C$ won't drop much, thanks to ATL, Kurt, Pogre and you too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'll pull the trigger, may be tomorrow, assuming the C$ won't drop much, thanks to ATL, Kurt, Pogre and you too.
Thanks peng. Fun thread to be in. Especially when it gets results. Like the big ol smile on pogres face!!! I'm gonna order mine tonight. Guess I'll go with the Hd and get it over with. Lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks peng. Fun thread to be in. Especially when it gets results. Like the big ol smile on pogres face!!! I'm gonna order mine tonight. Guess I'll go with the Hd and get it over with. Lol
HD for me too because of the voltage concern you mentioned, so double thanks to you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis