TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
The fact that a lot of people went to see it and paid $15 or more a pop for the 3D version also factors into how much this movie made. If they charged $15 for The Dark Knight or Titanic, it would have made more as well.

How much money a movie makes has little to do with whether or not it is a good movie ;) Transformers is another excellent example of a movie that sucked but still made a lot of money. All that tells me is that there are a lot of people who are easily entertained. We go to the movies to be entertained, so that is perfectly fine, but let's not try to compare big action flicks that have a lot of explosions and get people to go see them to movies that actually have substance. On the same note, a movie doesn't have to be deep to be entertaining either.
How much money a movie makes doesnt make it a good movie so very true but what does have a lot of weight is the amount of tickets sold, the theater near my home was sold out for months when it first came out and most of the same people im sure bought the blurays after they had already saw it ;) Easily entertained well that debatable . Whether you or anyone likes to hear it or not the fact is many people liked this movie and it maybe returning to the theaters soon because of it, and no on the other side of the coin it doesnt make it a good movie because more people liked it then not but as you put it :rolleyes: maybe were easily entertained lol. If you like I can pick some tickets up for you ive got connections :p Seriously when the smoke clears its what you like and makes you happy just like choosing are personal HT gear. Anothers man treasure may be another mans trash :) btw Transformer may have sucked to you but to me and many others it did not ;)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Any comments on the little THX treat at the end of the credits. Yeh, I watched it all the way through the credits:p It was kind of musical and really let you hear your system. I paused it and called my daughter back in and she had me replay it about 5 times with the sound cranked all the way up. :D
Thanks im going to have to check it out we turned it off wright when the credits starting rolling it was getting late. Have to pump up the volume on the next showing :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have those issues too?;):D
Yup.

Anyway, I got a chance yesterday to watch AVATAR @ Man-Level volume (all by myself).

I especially paid close attention to the Falling-of-the-Big-Tree sequence.

I placed my hands on the walls throughout the entire sequence.:D

And I felt the violent shaking of the walls throughout the entire sequence.:D

So I don't think the bass is lacking during this sequence.

I think the bass is so CONSTANT for SO LONG that perhaps we might get "desensitized"; thus, we notice more at the start of the bass and at the end of the bass.

But I have physical proof (significant shaking of the walls) that the bass is definitely present during the sequence.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Any comments on the little THX treat at the end of the credits. Yeh, I watched it all the way through the credits:p It was kind of musical and really let you hear your system. I paused it and called my daughter back in and she had me replay it about 5 times with the sound cranked all the way up. :D
Ooh, now I'm going to have to watch that.:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I received my copy yesterday afternoon in the mail. After reading all the comments here regarding the audio I couldn't wait to watch this disc. But first I'd needed to pick up my kids from school and after we could all watch it for the first time. All I can say is "Wow"...it was freaking unbelievable:eek:. Having just watched 2012 the other night for some wow factor with my new sub this disc SQ & PQ IMO was over the top. Although my wife wasn't home and I turned it up with the kids this is one disc I'll need to watch alone and include all the credits too.:D

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Drat, the THX thingy is the same one thats on the last Indy movie. I was hoping for some new ear candy. But this one is pretty darn cool. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't know about the THX thing, definitely going to check this out when I get home.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I got yesterday 20Gb 1080p h.264/DTS version - very, very impressive on my pc 20" monitor (WSXGA+)
Too bad my 42" tv is only 720p :(

Haven't saw it fully at home yet, but I seen Imax 3d twice :D

TheFactor

TheFactor

Yup.

Anyway, I got a chance yesterday to watch AVATAR @ Man-Level volume (all by myself).

I especially paid close attention to the Falling-of-the-Big-Tree sequence.

I placed my hands on the walls throughout the entire sequence.:D

And I felt the violent shaking of the walls throughout the entire sequence.:D

So I don't think the bass is lacking during this sequence.

I think the bass is so CONSTANT for SO LONG that perhaps we might get "desensitized"; thus, we notice more at the start of the bass and at the end of the bass.

But I have physical proof (significant shaking of the walls) that the bass is definitely present during the sequence.:D
For sure im going to check it out sometime this weekend at man levels, -16 on my AVR was no were near close enough to test the tree sequence:p I know the rest of the movie had great bass at that level but just thought that huge tree falling would produce more at the same level. Im sure cranking it up will take care of it though I just think that sequence should of been recorded a little hotter on the LFE But the rest of the movie was very natural and with great solid bass. Its for sure im not lacking in the bass department and my duals are setup properply and display the wall shaking bass you speak of :D I did feel the bass when the tree fell but compared to there bird planes flapping there wings :p should of been more LFE IMO Maybe i'll take it up to -15 this time :eek: Seriously -5 or -6 should do the trick on the AVR :D
Ooh, now I'm going to have to watch that.:D
x2 :D

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
We bought this movie on Blu-ray and I found it to be pretty good. What bothers me though is Cameron is obviously so far left it came shining through in this movie :eek:
As far as the PQ goes, flat out superb!
AQ, excellent minus the LFE which I thought was just good.

TheFactor

TheFactor

We bought this movie on Blu-ray and I found it to be pretty good. What bothers me though is Cameron is obviously so far left it came shining through in this movie :eek:
Glad you enjoyed it Gov , Im going to check it out again this weekend if I get a chance . Hope all is well my Friend :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
That's the reason I will NEVER watch it. :D

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Video 9/10, Audio 8.5/10, too bad it wasn't made in 7.1, had to turn up the rears a bit.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I am pretty sure I saw this years ago when it was called Fern Gulley. :)
Fern Gully is a great movie :D

Anyway, I watched Avatar for the first time on Friday. Looked great, sounded great, very predictable but still very enjoyable.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
We bought this movie on Blu-ray and I found it to be pretty good. What bothers me though is Cameron is obviously so far left it came shining through in this movie
So the movie advocated social programs, religious diversity, and a formal military while poo-pooing individualists who don't want the government telling them what to do?

Odd. I didn't get that impression at all.

How was the Blu-Ray itself?

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
For God's Sake, guys, whadda ya complaining about...you got machine gun fire, spaceships, monster explosions, snarling wild animals, and a 10-foot tall blue chick riding a flying dragon wearing nothing but a loin cloth. What more could a guy want? - Shakespeare? - deep social relevance?

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.;)

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
A couple weekends ago, my wife rented Avatar. A week later, we bought the Blu-ray at Costco. We watched it again last Sunday, with my daughter this time, because she has an obsession with dinosaurs and flying creatures. She just loved the Banshees and even the ferocious animals in the forest.

We watched it on a 12' projection screen from about 8' away (first row). The image quality was very clean.

From my viewpoint, I have to put aside my rational brain to watch this film. Once I empty my "cup" as it were, the film is an enjoyable experience. The visuals were the richest ever to show on-screen, given the groundbreaking modeling, animation and rendering technology used. The live action shots were recorded by Sony CineAlta cameras F23 and Sony CineAlta HDC-F950 at full 1920x1080 acquisition. It sure looked ultra-clean for digital acquisition.

The story is one of those that puts your emotions in direct conflict with your reasoning ability and that makes one somewhat angry. But as one who despises eminent domain, I found myself siding with the Na'vi on this matter of the Sky People invading their world. And what a world it was. A strange sense of high tech, in a low-tech forest, due to the sentient nature of the flora and the information conduit that was comprised of all the roots, making the entire world one big neural network. A fascinating concept.

The use of certain imagery was clever.. near the end of the film there is such as the scene with the Direhorse, aflame, running through a flaming inferno that was once the Home Tree. In slow motion, it was dream-like, in a way that only an old war movie captures a certain moment of battle with a memorable, if not frightful, scene.

Overall, pretty simple plot, but the direction, pacing and the quality of the way it's all edited, craftily together, maintains a constant 'never a dull moment' excitement to the film.

I thought the sound mix was quite seamless. The surround just blended into a 360° space, with nothing calling attention to itself. I did think they could have taken more advantage of LFE moments when the Home Tree was felled though. As has been noted, other sounds in the film had more LFE in it. The explosions were so-so. This wasn't U-571, but the general sound quality was sweeter and more natural. It just wasn't as visceral as other films I've seen. And thankfully the logo music at the beginning didn't blow us out of the room. I hate when a loud logo plays before the film, evoking yells of "turn it down! it's too loud!" from the audience and then the film starts and you can't hear the dialog because the level is now set too low. The dynamic range was decent, with acceptable levels for the various machinery and environment sounds heard throughout the film. There were times though when I felt that the music score, particularly the part with Japanese drums, was a bit overpowering. My daughter had her hands over her ears for much of the film, but she was talking about the flying creatures all night after that, right up to bed time.

This whole 3D thing has me in a quandry though.. a gimmick such as this will shift further focus away from plot, story, content, toward razzle-dazzle effects, further devolving the art of story-telling. Though, I hear it worked to good effect for this film.

Definately a keeper, in my book, even though it's got some contraversial plot issues.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis