B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I just finished watching Avatar on Blu Ray. Here are my thoughts.

Movie: 4/5
Directing was good and the pace of the film kept me interested. However, being a sci-fi geek, I can't help but to think that the themes and imagery have all been done before in film and videogames.

I orgiinally saw this in the theatres in 3D. Without the 3D aspect, the movie doesn't feel the same. Still, it was good enough that I was able to watch it at home for a second viewing and still enjoyed it.

Video: 5/5
I was concerned about the video quality after reading some posts online about the image being too soft. There were a few screenshots showin his too. I can safely say that the video quality is top notch. I couldn't see any artifacts, dnr, macroblocking etc. This looked as pristine as a pixar film on blu.

Audio: 5/5
I watcheD the movie in DTS-MA. The sound quality and mixing was amazing! In the scenes in the jungle, the mix creates the ambience of being right there. I almost thought that there were birds and other creatures hiding in my walls. Dialogue was always clear and crisp, with big sound effects and ambient effects all at the perfect levels. I hate to say it, but for me,this even beats the Dark Knight in sound. Just simply amazing.

Extras: 0/5
No extras. None. Nada. Very disappointing. Not even trailers! I'm kind of wondering why they even bothered including a DVD copy but no digital copy.

This disc should definitely be in your collection (unless you are waitig for the extendend or 3D versions). Good movie and great reference/demo material.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I got it from a distributor. They supply the stores, so they get the copy early.

Last edited:
M

MrPirate2882

Junior Audioholic
Great review. Can you post screenshots or something like that? The web is sparse with them.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Ugh. I just lent the disc to a friend earlier tonight.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just reserved a copy for the release date on the 22nd :D Love this flick at the movies and cant wait to watch it in my Therapy room :cool:

F

Fenix

Audioholic
Typically stores and movie rental places (like blockbuster and hollywood video) will have the movies in the store on the Thursday before (thus giving them time to prep shelf space). I can only imagine how early the warehouses and distributors get them. When I used to work for one of the rental chains the employees would generally take home a copy to watch when we got them in and we had to make sure we brought them back before release day.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I got it from a distributor. They supply the stores, so they get the copy early.
Perhaps the rentalshave no extrasand the ones for sale do?
Areyou sure there might be an extended version of it on BD?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
It was announced that an extended version would be released later this year (near the end of the year, if I'm not mistaken).

The extended version will have 6 minutes extra of finished scenes and something like 28 minutes of unfinished scenes. There will be an option to seamlessly add the scenes in while playing the movie.

Given the huge difference in experience between watching this in 3D and 2D. I'm going to wait until the 3D version comes out to double dip (and buy a new TV).

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Wow. I just read my post. Sorry about the horrible spelling - it's not easy to type on an iphone in the middle of the night!

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Just finished watching this one. I really enjoyed it and was very imperssed with the movie over all. The PQ was possibley the best I've seen so far, and the SQ was great. Highly recommended.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I read someone's review and it said "Pocahontas with neon paint." LMAO. Will be watching tonight.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis