j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like the reviews on various sites are all pretty similar in their impressions on this one: it is pretty average. That will hardly diminish the fact that people enjoy it.

Note too that this is now the fastest and highest selling Blu-ray of all time. It took Dark Knight a year to sell 2.5 million units. It took Avatar FOUR DAYS to sell 2.7 million.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't seen Avatar, but added the BD to my Netflix list :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like the reviews on various sites are all pretty similar in their impressions on this one: it is pretty average. That will hardly diminish the fact that people enjoy it.

Note too that this is now the fastest and highest selling Blu-ray of all time. It took Dark Knight a year to sell 2.5 million units. It took Avatar FOUR DAYS to sell 2.7 million.
Oh, great, now I suppose someone is going to say that you didn't account for inflation.:D

"Gone With The Wind" BD sold 2.7 million units in ONE MINUTE back then.:D

Oh, wait, they didn't even have BD back then. But who cares, you gotta account for inflation somehow.:eek::D

But seriously, how much did the Dark Knight BD cost back then compared to the Avatar BD today? :D

Another question is, how much will Avatar make in BD/DVD sales?

Here is a quote:

"Avatar wasn’t just a huge success at the box office; the film is quickly setting records on home video as well. Since its release on April 22, Avatar has managed to move more than 6.7 million DVD and Blu-ray discs in North America alone. This shatters the previous record held by The Dark Knight.

While DVD sales have been extremely strong, the sales for the Blu-ray version of the film have been pretty astonishing. Avatar easily beat the first-day record of 600,000 Blu-ray discs set by The Dark Knight in 2008, selling 1.2 million copies on Blu-ray Thursday. Four days later, the film managed to grow that number to 2.7 million. That’s more than the 2.5 million copies The Dark Knight has managed to sell on Blu-ray over the last 18 months.

In all fairness, Blu-ray market penetration is much greater now than it was 18 months ago. Still, the fact that nearly a third of all sales so far are for the Blu-ray version speaks to the power of Avatar. 20th Century Fox even told reporters that sales of Blu-ray players at Best Buy have doubled since Avatar’s release.

While Avatar is also available for digital download via Sony’s PlayStation Network, Apple’s iTunes, VUDU and others, the uncompressed, “true HD” experience of the film on Blu-ray is a huge driver for the platform.

The U.S. isn’t the only country where Avatar sales have soared; France, Germany and Spain have also experienced tremendous sales. The film comes to the U.K. today, where it should continue to do well.

Fox fully plans on milking Avatar for all it is worth. Thursday’s release contained no extra features or behind-the-scenes goodies; it’s just the film. An expanded special edition will be released in October. Additionally, despite Avatar’s immersive 3D experience in theaters, home viewers won’t be able to re-create Pandora in 3D until sometime in 2011."

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In 4 days (in North America ALONE):

2.7 million BD sold x $20 ea = $54 million

4 million DVD sold x $16 ea = $64 million

Total in 4 days = $118 million

That is more than most movies make at the movie theater box office in their lifetime!:eek:

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
there is a group of ppl that have complaints about the LFE in this movie... it seems that the tee fall is raising concerns over the remix to home video...

i for one enjoyed evey bit of the movie but was a lil disappointed to not be wowed by the falling tree..

did anyone else notice this..

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes you just gotta watch a movie all by yourself at MAN-LEVEL volume.:D

I'll be watching AVATAR by myself soon also @ higher volume.:D

Those blue NAVI look so real.
So true the Navi do look so real it was amazing:eek: and this was the first movie I think i've ever watched that I can remember that after watching it I couldnt wait to watch it again. Dont get me wrong i've watched movies that I wanted to see again but not just after watching it lol . Yes im looking forward to watching it again at man levels to, so that might have something to do with it :D I saw her flinching a few times and asked her if it was to loud but she said it ws ok:eek: but she is a jumper when it comes to movies lol .
there is a group of ppl that have complaints about the LFE in this movie... it seems that the tee fall is raising concerns over the remix to home video...

i for one enjoyed evey bit of the movie but was a lil disappointed to not be wowed by the falling tree..

did anyone else notice this..
Yes I did but I wasn't watching it at reference levels either, far from it but I do remember that huge tree falling and falling anticipating this earth shaking crunch and the punch in the chest feeling when it hit and it wasnt nearly the impact I was expecting but other than that I thought the LFE was great threw out the movie but in all fairness I need to watch it closer to reference levels and see how that scene is. I think the movie makes up for it though threw out the whole movie in every other area .

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
I was to enthralled with enjoying the over all picture, I failed to notice anything missing while the tree was falling. Damn critics:D

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Shocking to most is that I haven't seen the movie yet, this is primarily due to friends with similar tastes telling to not waste my money. Highdefdigest said the PQ was "perfect" and their reviewer said he'd give the PQ 6 stars if he was able and that it is the best demo material to date on BD. Unfortunately he wasn't so nice with his review of the movie itself and marked it as "pretty but dumb." I doubt I'll see it for quite a long time, if ever.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Shocking to most is that I haven't seen the movie yet, this is primarily due to friends with similar tastes telling to not waste my money. Highdefdigest said the PQ was "perfect" and their reviewer said he'd give the PQ 6 stars if he was able and that it is the best demo material to date on BD. Unfortunately he wasn't so nice with his review of the movie itself and marked it as "pretty but dumb." I doubt I'll see it for quite a long time, if ever.
I highly suggest you at least rent it, you really are missing out imo. I dont think you'll be disapointed and if you are but not likely what do have to loose ? A few bucks for a rental ? I wouldnt write it off because of a bad review especialy since its been reviewed by so many more that have liked it including the people that really count us :D

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
It is "pretty but dumb", and I definitely rolled my eyes more than once at the dialog...and yet, I was really genuinely excited by it, and after a while I just went with it and let my buttons be pushed.

I rather wish that Cameron would shoot someone else's script for a change, or let a better writer have a crack at re-writing his drafts. Then again, he has at least 3 of the top 100 highest grossing films of all time, so what do I know.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
It is "pretty but dumb", and I definitely rolled my eyes more than once at the dialog...and yet, I was really genuinely excited by it, and after a while I just went with it and let my buttons be pushed.

I rather wish that Cameron would shoot someone else's script for a change, or let a better writer have a crack at re-writing his drafts. Then again, he has at least 3 of the top 100 highest grossing films of all time, so what do I know.
I agree 100%. There were times where I felt that the storyline was contrived but as you said I got drawn in by the visuals and let the poor dialog slide.

In the end I really can say I enjoyed this movie.

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
the reviewer mentions dances with wolves... well as much as i liked it when i was younger.. i couldnt watch it a second time... but AVATAR left me wanting to see it again just after leaving the theater (just as someone else mentioned),,, you should discount a movie based on one persons review...
see if this one will change your mind. Avatar Bluray Review

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Actually the review by highdefdigest isn't what made me feel this way, I just linked it because it shared many sentiments I've heard. As I said in my first sentence, most my friends with similar movie tastes as I have have told me it wasn't worth seeing. They all said was pretty cool visually but just about everything else was almost painful to sit through.

It's nowhere near an even comparison, but this reminds me of the hype around "Hollow Man" when it came out. After listening to people tell me over and over and over and over I had to see it, I let a friend take me to the theater to see it. I sat there almost in pain because the movie was so incredibly awful, the special effects weren't spectacular enough to hide from me bad acting, writing, and directing.

If Avatar is as great as everyone says it is, then it will stand the test of time and still be great for many years to come. So there really should be absolutely no rush for me to see it or any other "must see" movie.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually the review by highdefdigest isn't what made me feel this way, I just linked it because it shared many sentiments I've heard. As I said in my first sentence, most my friends with similar movie tastes as I have have told me it wasn't worth seeing. They all said was pretty cool visually but just about everything else was almost painful to sit through.

It's nowhere near an even comparison, but this reminds me of the hype around "Hollow Man" when it came out. After listening to people tell me over and over and over and over I had to see it, I let a friend take me to the theater to see it. I sat there almost in pain because the movie was so incredibly awful, the special effects weren't spectacular enough to hide from me bad acting, writing, and directing.

If Avatar is as great as everyone says it is, then it will stand the test of time and still be great for many years to come. So there really should be absolutely no rush for me to see it or any other "must see" movie.
This one doesn't quite have bad acting, it has a bad screenplay. On the same note, it isn't a bad movie, it just isn't a great movie. There's a reason why this movie won Oscars for effects and not for actors or the movie itself. It is an action flick with great visuals and that's about it.

TheFactor

TheFactor

I think its done pretty good with the test now breaking record sales at the box office and on blu-ray . No matter what movie it is theres always going to be folks that dont like it but you can normaly tell by the higher percentage of people that do how it pans out and I think by the sales it tells it in black and white ;) It doesnt mean you and your friends have to like it but it doesnt mean its a bad movie because of it lol . Folks have different tastes and I can see how some might not like it, maybe there more into drama or comedy and not animation . Animation on this movie looked outstanding and my 60'' Kuro it almost looked 3d the colors popped so much and the detail was remarkable that in itself made it a winner in my book. If your a videoholic or a audioholic you'll love it just for its reference level audio and video .

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Any comments on the little THX treat at the end of the credits. Yeh, I watched it all the way through the credits:p It was kind of musical and really let you hear your system. I paused it and called my daughter back in and she had me replay it about 5 times with the sound cranked all the way up. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think its done pretty good with the test now breaking record sales at the box office and on blu-ray . No matter what movie it is theres always going to be folks that dont like it but you can normaly tell by the higher percentage of people that do how it pans out and I think by the sales it tells it in black and white ;)
The fact that a lot of people went to see it and paid $15 or more a pop for the 3D version also factors into how much this movie made. If they charged $15 for The Dark Knight or Titanic, it would have made more as well.

How much money a movie makes has little to do with whether or not it is a good movie ;) Transformers is another excellent example of a movie that sucked but still made a lot of money. All that tells me is that there are a lot of people who are easily entertained. We go to the movies to be entertained, so that is perfectly fine, but let's not try to compare big action flicks that have a lot of explosions and get people to go see them to movies that actually have substance. On the same note, a movie doesn't have to be deep to be entertaining either.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Has anyone else developed a fetish for "Tall skinny blue chicks with tails"?:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis