Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

B

binkypoo1

Audiophyte
Perhaps others will chime in, but I can’t think of anybody using the PS5 without issue through an AVR. Some with direct connections to a capable TV have issues as well. Normally, most will recommend connecting devices to the AVR and then video to the TV. But, Smart TV apps and the current HDMI 2.1 fiasco are changing things up a bit. If you plan on keeping a direct connection to the TV for everything, then anything out there with eARC will work for you. ARC will get you DD+/atmos when streaming, but only eARC will get you lossless TrueHD/atmos from discs. Can’t remember if any TV is passing DTS anymore. Tech these days...:rolleyes:
Pretty much spot on. Connecting all my devices to my TV but I am going to run out of ports I think! eARC has worked great as far as sound goes. But I figured getting something for the future would be nice just in case.

Would you say the Yamahas produce quality sound at least? If I was to just go through the eARC route only?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
What a bummer of a time to be shopping for one of these things. Thanks for the insight!
I feel you bro, when I jumped on Yamahas V6A I didn't know about the 2.1 issue still though its a great Sounding AVR I do like the sound of it a lot. But with that said I have been eyeing Yamaha Advantage line for a few years now. Andrew had A3080 saved up for me back in October of last year but I had some issues come up couldn't get it. Andrew was kind enough to hold the A1080 for me, if you do get a new AVR I highly recommend Andrew he is a Dealer and a very good one also. @AcuDefTechGuy He has saved AH members hundreds even thousands on audio and video gear.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you can find a TSR-700 at a Costco, I’d do it. The eARC will work for you and if the updates are good, you won’t have an immediate need to replace it. Didn’t see any though on my last trip to Costco.:confused: You might check into Crazy Acu’s stash. His prices are iiinnnssaaanneeee!!!!:D

hackenbacker

hackenbacker

Audiophyte
So it is in the works then. I will keep an eye on that. Do you know if the two receivers I am thinking about have any major differences between them?
No. There are not major differences. The A2A has larger capacitors and infrared ports - that's the only performance/feature difference with the TSR-700/V6A. Different case and remote too, but do you really want to spend $200-$400 on a remote?

In your position, I would recommend either waiting, or getting a TSR-700 (or V6A) - the firmware updates might make it suitable for passing HDMI 2.1, and if they don't, you've got $200-$400 that you haven't spent to put towards something that does pass 2.1 when you really, really need it.

B

binkypoo1

Audiophyte
No. There are not major differences. The A2A has larger capacitors and infrared ports - that's the only performance/feature difference with the TSR-700/V6A. Different case and remote too, but do you really want to spend $200-$400 on a remote?

In your position, I would recommend either waiting, or getting a TSR-700 (or V6A) - the firmware updates might make it suitable for passing HDMI 2.1, and if they don't, you've got $200-$400 that you haven't spent to put towards something that does pass 2.1 when you really, really need it.
With the information I learned from you all today and some side research - I think waiting might just be the best way to go about it. Until my unit craps out completely at least.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the help and supportive vibes with this group! Thank you all!

D

drmevo

Audiophyte
I Don't think my problems are with the Crown except for the loud popping sounds when changing tracks in Tidal or DSP presets on the Yamaha.

My current problem is more no preamp output to the crown or it seems like the Yamaha is sending surround signals through the front preamp outputs.

The attenuator on the crowns are set to 3'oclock which I'm guessing is plenty high for Kef Q350's. This is trying to match the center channel volume.

Let me know if I'm not making much sense. lol Kinda new to home stereo.
Did you ever figure out your issue with the popping sound? I also have a TSR-700. The whole reason I bought it was for the front pre outs. I have a Parasound NewClassic 200 Integrated connected using Home Theater bypass. Whenever I change inputs or the sound source changes at all (sometimes even commercials on TV or selecting an app on a FireStick) I get a pop in the right speaker. Very frustrating and I'm still waiting to hear back from Yamaha and Parasound but I suspect it's on Yamaha's end as the Parasound is just acting as a power amp.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Sold off my Yamaha RX-V6A!!!!!:D:D:D:D My Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 will be in my hands soon!!:D

Last edited:
Gatto018

Gatto018

Audiophyte
Has anyone used an external amp with their V6a or tsr-700? Just got an two channel amplifier, Crown, and cant get a signal out of the Yamaha reciever's pre-outs. The amplifier works fine with a tv cable box audio pre-outs. Tried to measure the voltage out of the yamaha pre-outs and get zero volts. I suspect the Yamaha is stuck in switching from speaker outs to the pre amp outs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I do. I run my fronts from the preamp outs to a Krell KAV-300i in passive mode.
Connect everything.
Go to FUNCTION then SPEAKER then POWER AMP ASSIGN. Top line should read: Power Amp Assign <Basic>. If not, go through the configurations until it does. Then:
Go to configuration (Still under SPEAKER). Select your configuration. If you have a subwoofer, select <Use>.
Set all other speakers as <Small> even if they are large. That makes the subwoofer preout transmit the LF line signal to the SW amp.
Make sure all connections are OK, no loose cables.
Run YPAO.
Check the results. Check the configuration settings and make sure they are as stated above. Sometimes YPAO changes your settings.
Essentially you should be good to go.
You will have to fool around with some setting such as Program (Which I leave at DSur or Standard), Sound, Function, etc. but that is just to get the many adjustments set to your preference. Good luck and good listening.

Gatto018

Gatto018

Audiophyte
I'm new to the world of complex AVRs. Got a TSR 700 recently and have speakers installed for a 7.1.2 setup. Is there any way I can get this receiver to power all speakers (at the same time)? From what I understand, its either a 5.1.2 or a 7.1? Can any of you experts advise on what options I may have?
The receiver WILL NOT power Atmos and Rear Surrounds speakers at the same time. If you connect both it will default to Atmos. Nothing can be done except disconnecting the speakers you are not using.
After listening to both setups, I opted for 7.1 surround. I listen to music most of the time and Atmos did not sound natural to me at all.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
The receiver WILL NOT power Atmos and Rear Surrounds speakers at the same time. If you connect both it will default to Atmos. Nothing can be done except disconnecting the speakers you are not using.
After listening to both setups, I opted for 7.1 surround. I listen to music most of the time and Atmos did not sound natural to me at all.
Would it power those channels if the OP used an outboard amp for his mains and is there an option to use those amps redirected to his atmos channels. I don’t know just wondering if that’s an option for this avr .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My Yamaha guy is holding out on me, lol. An announcement was expected by June. It was never a question of a hardware issue, but others aren’t dealing with it in the way Yamaha has chosen to do so.;) Gotta say, I kinda’ like their style. Guess I’ll hold on to the little droid. Still, I wanted that Mandalorian armor.:(

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, an HDMI board fix/replacement sounds more like it. Firmware updates to activate HDMI 2.1 features in the new A4A, A6A and A8A will be released, but everything else will require hardware updates. Hell, what’s a few more weeks? I wouldn’t have released anymore models that weren’t ready right out of the box. There will be the HDMI 2.1 firmware update and then another to fix whatever that one breaks. Still no Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization feature release and no word from them at all about DTS Virtual:X ever coming to the Yamahas.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, received some clarification from Yamaha on the whole HDMI 2.1 mess.o_O The RX-V6A/TSR-700 and RX-A2A have three HDMI inputs that will be capable of 4K/120ab and 8K/60b after a future firmware update. The other four will continue to support 4K/60 AND add support for features such as ALLM and QFT. The hardware update will be for those with X Series and Nvidia RX30 and will NOT improve functionality until a later firmware update.

So, just waitin’ for Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization update on the Yamaha with no word about DTS Virtual:X ever coming its way.:mad: Still, the sooner that f#%ker updates, the sooner I can give the Onkyo a rest. I feel I’m on borrowed time with that one.:confused: At least it supports Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization AND DTS Virtual:X. Checked with Anthem about their MRX models for more options in case my Onkyo decides to die with the company and they said they support DTS Virtual:X but not Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.o_O

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So, received some clarification from Yamaha on the whole HDMI 2.1 mess.o_O The RX-V6A/TSR-700 and RX-A2A have three HDMI inputs that will be capable of 4K/120ab and 8K/60b after a future firmware update. The other four will continue to support 4K/60 AND add support for features such as ALLM and QFT. The hardware update will be for those with X Series and Nvidia RX30 and will NOT improve functionality until a later firmware update.

So, just waitin’ for Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization update on the Yamaha with no word about DTS Virtual:X ever coming its way.:mad: Still, the sooner that f#%ker updates, the sooner I can give the Onkyo a rest. I feel I’m on borrowed time with that one.:confused: At least it supports Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization AND DTS Virtual:X. Checked with Anthem about their MRX models for more options in case my Onkyo decides to die with the company and they said they support DTS Virtual:X but not Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.o_O
No room for real Atmos speakers? Why virtualize? :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis