Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
There are a couple more of small bugs they may fix first before fully unlocking HDMI 2.1 and height virtualization.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Mine just updated. No idea what it did other than perhaps what you were taking about. Probably my imagination but it does seem to power up and get my display up a bit quicker.

Looking at all the menus was Virtual Speaker there before under the sound menu? For some reason mine is on? What is it? Did I just miss this somehow before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It did have virtual surround back speakers out of the box.
146D64DE-8D82-43AF-B85B-40C5AA210071.jpeg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Updating mine as I post, Yamaha just sent it to like umm 1/2 hour ago. Starts out at S1-1 now on S6-1 Verify umm Tapping fingers waiting, waiting, waiting 88% umm Come on man! oh Finally power off update successful I'm outta of here! :D
8765BA0F-A516-4DF5-83C9-3C80A17BA17C.jpeg

Last edited:
H

Honu1

Enthusiast
I dont have the update showing up yet. Still on 1.26

Finally got my Crown amp to work with this reciever.
Was able to get sound and a voltage reading on the preouts by unplugging the unit for the day. Resetting the reciever didnt work for me. When I got home and plugged in the power and rca's on the front channel, they worked. All cables unplugged except for the antennas and hdmi cables. The volume is very low, changing the input voltage helped a little but still have to crank the Crown Amp gains past 3 o'clock and about 2 db gain on the receiver.

Another problem I have is popping noise when changing tracks in Tidal, youtube, etc on the Nvidia shield. Also Appletv4k has popping noises when going through Disney+. Not sure if its the reciever or amp. There where some popping noises prior but much louder with the new amp installed.

Another problem is my sub output cuts off when changing tracks. Some songs the sub is on and others it has no signal... I have the Costco TSR-700. :( Would like to get soemthing else with front preouts but most mid priced recievers are sold out locally or online.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mine just updated. No idea what it did other than perhaps what you were taking about. Probably my imagination but it does seem to power up and get my display up a bit quicker.

Looking at all the menus was Virtual Speaker there before under the sound menu? For some reason mine is on? What is it? Did I just miss this somehow before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, switching and running though setting with the remote OSD TV is a Lot faster! My settings stayed the same but I had that, "Invisible Virtual speaker" setting set to off before anyways. Not me No, I gotta know where my sound is coming from! Invisible speakers yeah right!:rolleyes:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I dont have the update showing up yet. Still on 1.26

Finally got my Crown amp to work with this reciever.
Was able to get sound and a voltage reading on the preouts by unplugging the unit for the day. Resetting the reciever didnt work for me. When I got home and plugged in the power and rca's on the front channel, they worked. All cables unplugged except for the antennas and hdmi cables. The volume is very low, changing the input voltage helped a little but still have to crank the Crown Amp gains past 3 o'clock and about 2 db gain on the receiver.

Another problem I have is popping noise when changing tracks in Tidal, youtube, etc on the Nvidia shield. Also Appletv4k has popping noises when going through Disney+. Not sure if its the reciever or amp. There where some popping noises prior but much louder with the new amp installed.

Another problem is my sub output cuts off when changing tracks. Some songs the sub is on and others it has no signal... I have the Costco TSR-700. :( Would like to get soemthing else with front preouts but most mid priced recievers are sold out locally or online.
Its coming, I live in the deep South way down by the Gulf of Mexico but I believe Yamaha started releasing it in bunches so the system doesn't crash. Just guessing cause thats how I got the last update Others where reporting they got it than by late evening like this time I got it.

H

Honu1

Enthusiast
New problems this week. Now my two front channels sometimes work and sometimes dont when switching between DSP presets. Either they are off on some settings or on or they are soft like surround speakers would be. Reseting or unplugging for a few minutes or hours doesnt seem to help.

Not sure if the update changed the DSP presets like scifi or hall in Munich to change the front speakers to be off or turned them into surrounds (which doesnt make sense). Two channel mode works but movie settings dont work.

What other receivers have others switched to?

I notice Costco doesnt list the TSR700 anymore, but seen them still in stock. Maybe too many bad reviews?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Has anyone used an external amp with their V6a or tsr-700? Just got an two channel amplifier, Crown, and cant get a signal out of the Yamaha reciever's pre-outs. The amplifier works fine with a tv cable box audio pre-outs. Tried to measure the voltage out of the yamaha pre-outs and get zero volts. I suspect the Yamaha is stuck in switching from speaker outs to the pre amp outs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Think on the Crown you need to set input sensitivity to the 0.775V position.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm on .775V, tried both settings and it helps a little with volume. Thanks.
What's the particular issue with the gain settings? How are you judging where to set the gain? Have you tried to max out the attenuator on the Crown?

H

Honu1

Enthusiast
What's the particular issue with the gain settings? How are you judging where to set the gain? Have you tried to max out the attenuator on the Crown?
I Don't think my problems are with the Crown except for the loud popping sounds when changing tracks in Tidal or DSP presets on the Yamaha.

My current problem is more no preamp output to the crown or it seems like the Yamaha is sending surround signals through the front preamp outputs.

The attenuator on the crowns are set to 3'oclock which I'm guessing is plenty high for Kef Q350's. This is trying to match the center channel volume.

Let me know if I'm not making much sense. lol Kinda new to home stereo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I Don't think my problems are with the Crown except for the loud popping sounds when changing tracks in Tidal or DSP presets on the Yamaha.

My current problem is more no preamp output to the crown or it seems like the Yamaha is sending surround signals through the front preamp outputs.

The attenuator on the crowns are set to 3'oclock which I'm guessing is plenty high for Kef Q350's. This is trying to match the center channel volume.

Let me know if I'm not making much sense. lol Kinda new to home stereo.
But how are you judging where to particularly set the gain on the amp as well as level trim in the avr? How are you matching level with the center particularly? Is the pre-out level so low on this model avr where 1.4V didn't work? Is this setting it up manually or via YPAO? All front speakers are the Q350?

To resolve the odd signal routing you might try a reset.

H

Honu1

Enthusiast
I've tried to reset about 3 times now, also unplugging the unit after the reset.

After resting, pluged the mic in and go through YPAO, then manually change some settings (Distance is always off, Level also off for center channel and sub).

Setting the gain on the Crown by ear, trying to match the center channel volume. Initially the amp volumes where far off even after running YPAO. I had to max out the gain on the Yamaha then the crown amp about 2 o'clock but that seems to change as the Yamaha changes what it wants to do.

When first setting up the Crown to the Yamaha no signal came out of the preouts, tested with a multimeter. 0 volts. After resets and unplugging for most of the day it just worked after plugging it back in and turning on.

Switching between Kef Q350 and Jamo towers, Jamo center channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How far off are the delays set (distance)? Sub distance is often not physical distance to account for the sub's processing time. If you don't have a mic how are you determining the levels are "off" on sub and center? By ear isn't a very good way. I'd try simply turning gain up to full on the Crown and let YPAO do its thing to set levels....or have you tried that? Does sound like pre-out level is low perhaps. The variances on what the pre-outs do sounds like you may have issues if resets aren't resolving them....

H

Honu1

Enthusiast
Distance is off about 2-3 feet.
Sub distance is off about 1-2 feet.

Using the mic which came with the yamaha tsr700, center channel distance is too far and gain is +5db, but my center channel is close and needs to be turned down or i was turning up the front L-R to compensate. I'm doing it by ear for now as there are bigger problems than fine tuning surround settings.

I have set the crown gain to 3 o'cllock position and did Ypao. Setting the Crown gains high just amplifies the popping sound from the left front speaker. Using the Yamaha speaker outputs , the popping sound is soft and minimum.

When set to 2CH. mode the voltage preamp output looks normal and sounds normal. Changing the DSP to Spectical-scifi-standard, makes the front speakers soft like surround sound soft but the center channel plays normal volume. This wasnt happening before. This is my major problem now

Honestly I'm just trying to figure this out till I can get another reciever as this one has too many strange problems. Might be months till recievers come back in stock. At least costco has a good return policy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Distance is off about 2-3 feet.
Sub distance is off about 1-2 feet.

Using the mic which came with the yamaha tsr700, center channel distance is too far and gain is +5db, but my center channel is close and needs to be turned down or i was turning up the front L-R to compensate. I'm doing it by ear for now as there are bigger problems than fine tuning surround settings.

I have set the crown gain to 3 o'cllock position and did Ypao. Setting the Crown gains high just amplifies the popping sound from the left front speaker. Using the Yamaha speaker outputs , the popping sound is soft and minimum.

When set to 2CH. mode the voltage preamp output looks normal and sounds normal. Changing the DSP to Spectical-scifi-standard, makes the front speakers soft like surround sound soft but the center channel plays normal volume. This wasnt happening before. This is my major problem now

Honestly I'm just trying to figure this out till I can get another reciever as this one has too many strange problems. Might be months till recievers come back in stock. At least costco has a good return policy.
Each speaker is 2-3 feet different or just one or two? Not sure how you figure the distance is too far as well as gains....is that an "by-ear" preference?

Popping sounds are just likely do the source unit adding such, only computer based sources I use are wi-fi and no such issues, so suspect yours are ground related.

H

Honu1

Enthusiast
I can estimate feet just by looking at the ground. Could use a tape measure but not ready for fine tuning. Each speaker is at a different distance in YPAO probably cause of reflections and not perfect alignments as I keep changing the angles.

Popping from NVIDIA shield and apple tv4k. Also when pressing the PROGRAM button left or right while swtiching DSP modes. I suspect its the Yamaha as the source have nothing to do with DSP settings. It's almost like anytime there is power changes either sound or video there is a pop. Even in Tidal changing tracks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis