Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Field Marshall
It works surpisingly well and I’m not putting speakers on my living room ceiling. I may repurpose another room in the house later and use ceiling speakers there. But, that system would be a 7.1.4 setup with matching speakers all the way around and above. I understand constraints in setups and the need for certain center channel speakers, but I’m surprised how many are still using small surround speakers in the age of full frequency signals such as Dolby, DSD, DTS and multichannel PCM provide. It’s not a matrixed, limited frequency mono signal back there anymore. I’d like matching speakers all the way around. Now, if more outfits would just start selling single towers…

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Senior Audioholic
It works surpisingly well and I’m not putting speakers on my living room ceiling. I may repurpose another room in the house later and use ceiling speakers there. But, that system would be a 7.1.4 setup with matching speakers all the way around and above. I understand constraints in setups and the need for certain center channel speakers, but I’m surprised how many are still using small surround speakers in the age of full frequency signals such as Dolby, DSD, DTS and multichannel PCM provide. It’s not a matrixed, limited frequency mono signal back there anymore. I’d like matching speakers all the way around. Now, if more outfits would just start selling single towers…
I’ve stayed with good quality speakers all the way around my whole rig I feel it’s exactly what you should do I cringe when I see guys put anything they can get cheaply in the back or sides and that’s spot on with the signal these day I agree with that 100% !

T

Trebdp83

So, put the little droid back into service this morning and saw something interesting in the setup. If this is what I think it is… Joy!
AF733ED4-570C-4AE3-9F1F-A1440C79F996.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

The new firmware for the RX-V6A/TSR-700 and RX-A2A is 1.34. It does not show on the website yet, but a notice will appear in the units. It’s a six stage update with several sections in each stage that took a few minutes to update. Dolby logo and Spatial terminology now in line with Apple Music. Hmmm..
CCD5E2D6-B568-4820-933F-F90AE6925C09.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

So, Dolby Atmos height virtualization is working well on the little droid. No word on DTS Virtual:X and I don't think there ever will be.:confused: Now, I’ll have to wait for Yamaha to start “new board” program. And, for those still unsure about the RX-V6A/TSR-700 and RX-A2A, the new board will solve a problem with the XBOX Series X/Nvidia RTX30 and enable 4K@120ab and 8K@60b (up to 24Gbps) from three HDMI ports. A firmware update is required AFTER the replacement of the bad motivator, um, HDMI board in the little droids to enable features. The A4A, A6A and A8A will have seven 4K@120ab/8K60@ab capable HDMI ports at up to 40Gbps AFTER a firmware update. And, if any of this info is in error, call Yamaha as it came from them and I don’t wanna’ take any heat.:mad: Say, maybe when I send mine in, they can also ditch the fugly interface and set me up with a sweet new GUI. I guess I’ll be making a call myself.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Junior Audioholic
I can’t recall do they ever publish actual release notes for the firmware updates. Mine updated last night but I would love to know what is all in there outside of my height virtualization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

The last update, 1.31, had a note that said it addressed HDMI ARC and “other improvement.” I suspect when this one posts, it will say it enables Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and has “other improvement.” I did notice two other improvements. One, the picture looks great. It looked good before, but now, wow.

I’ve enjoyed watching Marvel movies on Disney+ as I don’t have all of them on 4K blu-ray, yet. After redeeming some points, Disney sent me “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2.” :oops: F#%k me! Everyone should own this disc. I thought the first one looked damn good but this one takes it up a notch. If you’ve only ever streamed these movies, you have not seen or heard them in their optimal format.

Speaking of sound, the second thing I noticed was a critical improvement when streaming atmos via Apple TV 4K. It once took several seconds for the Yamaha to deliver a signal after sorting out the audio. Now, it does it as quickly as my Onkyo, though both exhibit a slight hesitation before delivering sound. I blame Apple to this day. Just bitstream everything already for F#%k’s sake!:mad: Oh, the Apple TV 4K Gen 2 does more of the same, by the way. So, while I noticed better picture and sound, there are other issues, but it is still early and I haven’t had my first cup of coffee.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback. I haven’t had time to check everything out yet and I’m away so figured I’d read it somewhere if I could. If it is faster figuring things out signal-wise I’ll be excited just for that. It takes forever or at least did before when using Dolby vision and Atmos content or just turning the dang thing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis