Yamaha RX-A2A Dolby Vision Support?

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
I just got the Yamaha RX-A2A receiver. I updated it to the latest firmware. When I connected my Apple TV 4K 2021 directly to the receiver and swa setting up the ATV it said Dolby Vision was not available/could not be activated but when I connected the Apple TV directly to my Sony 4K X90H TV the Apple TV could activate Dolby Vision. The HDMI cable is 18Gbps which should support Dolby Vision. Is there any know issue with this receiver and DV support?

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
I've tried that already and everything else under the sun with no help. Waiting for a level 2 Yamaha Tech to call me next week. If he can't resolve the issue they can take the receiver back.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What about the TV’s HDMI Signal Format settings? Are all of the HDMI inputs on the TV set to Enhanced?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I've tried that already and everything else under the sun with no help. Waiting for a level 2 Yamaha Tech to call me next week. If he can't resolve the issue they can take the receiver back.
I hear you... sorry your having issues. Hopefully Yamaha can figure it out and make it right. Every time I hear about these kind of things, it makes me want to hold on to my 3060 for at least a few more years.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
I finally figured out the problem and feel like an idiot because it has to do with a setting on the Sony TV HDMI settings. The problem was that the HDMI settings were under "Watching TV" option. Who would have ever thought. The eArc port was on standard and needed to be switched to enhanced.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I hear you... sorry your having issues. Hopefully Yamaha can figure it out and make it right. Every time I hear about these kind of things, it makes me want to hold on to my 3060 for at least a few more years.
I wouldn't, from the 3050 up to the 3080 they are basically the same units. If you do ungrade, sell yours to Meeee!
I finally figured out the problem and feel like an idiot because it has to do with a setting on the Sony TV HDMI settings. The problem was that the HDMI settings were under "Watching TV" option. Who would have ever thought. The eArc port was on standard and needed to be switched to enhanced.
Nice, but now we need a lil review on your new A2A. Post up your thoughts, sound quality and so. Inquiring minds need to know.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Settings from Standard to Enhanced need to be set for the TV as well as an AVR. This can be very frustrating when one doesn't know the adjustment needs to be made to pass HDR, be it HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. Glad you figured it out.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Settings from Standard to Enhanced need to be set for the TV as well as an AVR. This can be very frustrating when one doesn't know the adjustment needs to be made to pass HDR, be it HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. Glad you figured it out.
Hey bro! Hope you and family are doing good and well. Anyways I'am gonna be getting the A2A this coming Friday or another a1080. Seems the A2A and the rest on up are better (no bug's). But I really liked the way the a1080 performed and sounded. Just that it doesn't have 2.1 but I don't think I'll be buy a PS5 so 2.1 is moot.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey bro! Hope you and family are doing good and well. Anyways I'am gonna be getting the A2A this coming Friday or another a1080. Seems the A2A and the rest on up are better (no bug's). But I really liked the way the a1080 performed and sounded. Just that it doesn't have 2.1 but I don't think I'll be buy a PS5 so 2.1 is moot.
Hey! How goes it? Sons good? Yeah, the 2.1 thing is nuts. The X080 models are nice and I really think anybody who has one or can get their hands on one might be happier with them if they do not need 4K@120 capability for a console and 4K@120 still doesn't work for any new Yamaha model until a future firmware update. Then there's the whole AV Controller app issue as it is no longer supported and cannot be used on the 2020 and 2021 models. But, everybody has their own preferences and the new Yamahas will appeal to many who are already familiar with them and some may be attracted to the new look.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Alright! Glad you figured it out man.
I didn't think about that. My Sony tv is the exact same way. HDMI inputs need to be set enhanced. Enjoy.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hey! How goes it? Sons good? Yeah, the 2.1 thing is nuts. The X080 models are nice and I really think anybody who has one or can get their hands on one might be happier with them if they do not need 4K@120 capability for a console and 4K@120 still doesn't work for any new Yamaha model until a future firmware update. Then there's the whole AV Controller app issue as it is no longer supported and cannot be used on the 2020 and 2021 models. But, everybody has their own preferences and the new Yamahas will appeal to many who are already familiar with them and some may be attracted to the new look.
Doing good Sir! Them two Big Munchie Sons of mine, age's, 35, 43 still rocking PS4 Pro units. They each have 100's of PS games. My grandchildren are big time gamer's also. Me? I play PS2, Lolo Final Fantasy 4! :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@dpriest Post up Photos!!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What about the TV’s HDMI Signal Format settings? Are all of the HDMI inputs on the TV set to Enhanced?
Man, your getting to good at helping out with issues of settings!! Outstanding Bro!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, I wish I’d done more homework before purchasing one thing or the other a couple of years ago. I’m still learning this stuff. It's no little thing to go from a system five or more years old to new stuff anymore. HDMI and HDCP(The Devil) specs have made things ridiculous. It doesn’t help when there is no standard among brands, either. Honestly, if anybody with an older system wants to jump head first into the 4K HDR world, I’d say scrap everything but the speakers and make sure the components are of the same HDMI and HDCP specs and get premium certified/ultra certified HDMI cables.

Oh, and while on the subject, set the Apple TV 4K to 4K SDR Format. Setting it to HDR converts all SDR material, including the menus, to a fake HDR. So Format: 4K SDR, HDMI Output: YCbCr, Chroma 4:4:4, Match Content: Match Dynamic Range ON and Match Frame Rate ON. These settings will keep SDR content in SDR and HDR content in HDR and everything will playback in it’s native frame rate which is 24fps for movie material. Then, if available, use a Smart Phone for Color Balance in the Calibration setting. It actually works and improves picture quality a bit.

Audio should be set to Auto with Dolby Atmos ON. Anything NOT in Dolby Atmos will come over as PCM with this setting and Atmos tracks will display as Atmos/PCM. There can be a delay in the audio output when it switches to Atmos.

Many don’t like it, but HDMI-CEC works beautifully with the new Apple TV 4K remote control so give it a try.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
When HDMI CEC works, it's great, but when it doesn't madness I tell you.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yup, that it is.
Bro, I've had CEC issues that where creepy as hell!! AVR turning on by itself in the wee hours of the morning when I knew in fact I turned everything off! Come home from shopping find AVR on! Or turn everything on and TV would be on in OSD when the last I turned everything off from watching just cable. First I thought I had a hack a f..king with my setup. Come to find out my PS4 was the culprit! Sony PS do a lot of updates. I turned off auto update and HDMI CEC on PS never had that issue again.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, devices are finicky. My Apple TV 4K remote control powers everything on as it should and the TV switches to the receiver as the source and the receiver switches to the Apple TV 4K input just fine. Sometimes, when powering everything off, my TV likes to mess with me and turns on a few moments later. Now, I wait a moment after powering everything off to see if it turns back on. It only seems to do it when I forget to wait and walk away. That Samsung TV is taunting me.:mad:

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yep! I've had the tv turning on by itself after I've turned it off. Or I turn everything thing on and TV goes straight to smartcast. Dam China spies!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis