Advice request: Best Way to send quality stereo signal to Emotiva XDA-3-PreAmp-DAC > XPA-DR1 monoblocks

Thad

Thad

Enthusiast
I'm hoping for a path check, and for advice in a good way to send a quality stereo signal to a new, soon coming Emotiva XDA-3-PreAmp-DAC that will be feeding XPA-DR1 Monoblock's XLR-balanced. Ordered, but not yet delivered. The Emotiva 25% off event helped me to decide to go big. I understand electrical and electronics pretty well, but some of the new technology I need help with.
XDA-3 Differential Reference™ DAC : Digital to Analog Converter : Emotiva – Emotiva Audio Corporation
XPA-DR1 Differential Reference™ Monoblock Power Amplifier : X Series – Emotiva Audio Corporation

My Old Receiver and Television do not have HDMI ARC.
I mostly use Amazon Video and Music through a firestick.

The old receiver, Marantz SR7002 appears to not have a good way of getting a quality, unaltered digital signal to the new Emotiva XDA-3-PreAmp-DAC.
The TV seems to not have this either, except for digital optical out. I'm unsure if this old TV will be sending a great source signal with this.

I'm pondering ways to provide a great signal to the new toys and I'm hoping for advice.
A new TV with HDMI ARC would do the trick, but is pricey, and I'm not that big on movies. Perhaps that's the best option anyway?

New XDA-3 coming into service soon.
I understand that I will be giving up room correction, and LFE subwoofer / crossover control.
I understand the firestick will probably not work connected directly to the HDMI ARC on the XDA-3.
XDA-3.png

This splitter would give eARC $250
I'm not sure if the audio signal would be as good as the Panasonic Device below, or perhaps another solution?
4K Arcana 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI
HD fury, 4K Arcana.png

This seems like a decent option $450
Panasonic Streaming 4K Blu Ray Player with Dolby Vision and HDR10+ Ultra HD Premium Video Playback, Hi-Res Audio
Amazon.com: Panasonic Streaming 4K Blu Ray Player with Dolby Vision and HDR10+ Ultra HD Premium Video Playback, Hi-Res Audio, Voice Assist - DP-UB820-K (Black) : Electronics
Panasonic UB820-K.png

My old Marantz SR7002 is noted below.

I understand a new AVR of some type would work, but I don't know if I need to spend very much money on an AVR with a lot of features that I won't be using.

Ideas? Advice?

Marantz SR7002 Receiver Review | Audioholics
Marantz SR7002.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The HDMI ARC port on the XDA-3 is meant for connection to a TV supporting ARC and has limited bandwidth. The XDA-3 does not support eARC and its expanded bandwidth. It also cannot accept and decode Dolby or DTS signals.

I don’t believe the Balanced connections will provide an audible improvement in sound quality over RCA unbalanced ports. The BasX MC1 is equipped with several HDMI input ports including eARC and multichannel processing of Dolby and DTS.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The old receiver, Marantz SR7002 appears to not have a good way of getting a quality, unaltered digital signal to the new Emotiva XDA-3-PreAmp-DAC.
Unless I misunderstood what you meant, I would say there is no good reason to send a digital signal to the XDA-3 DAC if you want to have the highest audio quality, but if you really want to do it for some reasons, you can use the optical output that the old SR7002 does have.

I'm pondering ways to provide a great signal to the new toys and I'm hoping for advice.
A new TV with HDMI ARC would do the trick, but is pricey, and I'm not that big on movies. Perhaps that's the best option anyway?
For best audio quality (theoretically), you should use the asynchronous usb input of the XDA-3 and feed it from a desktop, laptop or notebook PC.

I understand that I will be giving up room correction, and LFE subwoofer / crossover control.
I understand the firestick will probably not work connected directly to the HDMI ARC on the XDA-3.
View attachment 64920

View attachment 64919

My old Marantz SR7002 is noted below.
The Firestick will work, but you would want to connect it via a splitter so it will be connected to your TV as well.

I understand a new AVR of some type would work, but I don't know if I need to spend very much money on an AVR with a lot of features that I won't be using.

For what you seem to want to do, that is, to use an external dac, I am not sure a new AVR would make a difference.

Ideas? Advice?

Marantz SR7002 Receiver Review | Audioholics
If you just want to send the cleanest signal to the SR7002 from an external DAC, there is no need to spend $750 on the Emotiva. For less than $300, you can get the same or likely better performance from Topping or S.M.S.L., unless you are among those who don't want to buy a made in China product.

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Exactly what are you trying to gain with the Emotiva XDA-3, if the SR7002 is still going to be in the signal path?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Many here and elsewhere will say that quality speakers will be the determining factor in quality sound. Don’t chase the dragon.

If you are an Emotiva enthusiast, the BasX MC1 can be connected to the Marantz. The BasX MC1 has 13.2 analog outputs and the Marantz 7.1 CH IN analog inputs. So, you could configure the speakers for 7.1 or 5.1.2 in the BasX MC1 connected to the SR7002 if wanting to enjoy Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

The HDMI ports on the BasX MC1 will give you the most audio options. The USB port on the BasX MC1 is limited to 16/48 so no same in, same out for hi-res if you care about it. Optical supports 24/192. Many don’t these days. Dolby and DTS are also supported over optical unlike the XDA-3.

The BasX MC1 and Marantz SR7002 amps will deliver quality audio and the money that would have been spent on Emotiva amps can be spent on a new 4K TV for quality video. The BasX MC1 has six HDMI input ports for directly connected 4K @60Hz devices and has an eARC port for full bandwidth of audio signals coming from new 4K TVs supporting eARC.

There are many ways to go here but I’m not a believer in chasing inaudible differences in quality for outrageous sums of money. I also don’t believe in retiring perfectly good amps in receivers that feature the 7.1 CH IN analog ports. The money will be better spent on a new TV. The increase in video quality will be very apparent and a quality TV can be had for the price of the XDA DR1 amp.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As a tip for those using an Amazon Device for Amazon Music Unlimited hi-res tracks, the Amazon device must support multichannel LPCM 24/192 and audio output must be set to “Best Available” for hi-res output. It, like the Apple TV, converts everything to LPCM when set this way and the signal will exceed the bandwidth limits of ARC.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis