Yamaha R-N803 stereo network receiver with YPAO bass mgt!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is surprising that this is the first "non-exotic" stereo receiver to offer the roomEQ and bass management systems that are taken for granted in an AVR!
With the retro look and bass management, I can't help but think of the Outlaw RR2160 (though I doubt Outlaw is much of a "blip" on Yamaha's radar).
On the positive, it has YPAO, will manage the sub crossover, and can remember sound configurations associated with different sources. Well networked supporting digital and streaming.
On the negative, the performance of the amp section look more like a receiver and less like an integrated amp with a built-in tuner (and doesn't have pre-outs). Outlaw wins the power war. The amp section should do fine with most speakers, but I think if they just produced the preamp section for the same price, they would have an interesting/attractive product.
The 8ohm power is 100 watts per channel RMS, 20-20kHz, 0.019%THD; but the 4ohm is speced at 160 watts at 1kHz, 0.7%THD.

Nonetheless, this looks like an attractive product for someone that wants a 2.1 or 2.2 stereo setup and has reasonably well behaved speakers (efficiency and impedance/phase).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803/index.html

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know some people must have "STEREO" receiver.

But...... But...... But...... I would recommend the Denon X4300 for $799. :D

~ 150WPC x 2 Ch 8 ohms, ~ 240WPC x 2 Ch 4 ohms.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would think that most of the market for such a thing are those with secondary 2.1 rigs in their offices or wherever, who don't want a huge AVR chassis cluttering up limited space. This Yamaha is still pretty girthy.

On another note, inclusion of the old school variable loudness control seems redundant if it also has YPAO Volume, which is a much better implementation of basically the same thing.

I kind of like it, but it's a confused product. I wonder if they'll stick, or vanish as prior attempts to do this have (HK990?).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know some people must have "STEREO" receiver.

But...... But...... But...... I would recommend the Denon X4300 for $799. :D

~ 150WPC x 2 Ch 8 ohms, ~ 240WPC x 2 Ch 4 ohms.
No doubt, just like the Outlaw RR2160, it cannot be justified on a strict performance per $ basis (and especially while the special pricing exists on the 4300!).

I don't know much about this unit aside from a quick read/scan of the Yamaha website.
One point worthy of note is this unit does not support video at all, so there must not be an on screen display. I wonder how easy YPAO and configuring the other settings is w/o a real screen?

However, many people have a romantic (rather than objective) attitude towards their audio gear and today's stereo gear seems to be targeting those people. NTTAWWT, I like romantics and I think we all have at least a little bit of the romantic in us (I still want dual mono McIntosh amps with the cool blue meters though I know I would never actually buy them).
The Yamaha website is pretty revealing if you read it with that consideration in mind. Some headings in their info:

Beautifully Brainy

Experience the Legend, Enjoy the Musicality

and the one that really caught my attention!:
Pure Delight to Own
It is about owning it, not listening to it!!!

The concept of this presentation is about creating an emotional desire. Certainly, there is ample technical jargon for the guy who wants to justify it rationally (but doesn't know much about competing audio gear).
That is why I think they should produce this same pre-pro section as a stand alone. Add a nice looking amp that performs on par with the Outlaw RR2160's amp section for another $750 msrp. Some nice photographs with a beautiful phono (hide any signs of CD's) in a refined atmosphere, and an iPhone in the foreground to remind us of the modern connectivity of this unit.
It is not about performance/$; it is about image!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Very surprised Yamaha blew it..
They are missing some performance features usually found on step-up components..
1. Pre-out Main-in connectors
2. MC phono circuit
3. Processor loop
4. Digital out, optical & coax

Just my $0.02... ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Given that I am no longer looking at/considering tube amps, the Outlaw 2160 has my full attention. Can't make the leap right now, but sooner or later I will own one. Also looking to get a set of the new Wharfedale 11.1's as soon as funds will allow. These mentioned will be my next two purchases. Sadly though, it is going to be a very good while before I can. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
So I am a recent purchaser of this network receiver and am quite pleased. Is it top-of-the-line in all respects, absolutely not, but it is more than good enough.

As one poster previously mentioned, this unit is indeed a secondary system in my home, where the reel-to-reel and the turntable and the cassette deck and all things vintage live (including the speakers). This unit replaced a whole rack full of audiophile quality gear costing more than my first home did, and I am not looking back. It's nice to have the app, the lack of clutter, and many other features.

I had purchased earlier in the year the Yamaha R-N602 and when this came out I jumped on it (some complain about the price but when I was used to paying this much for a pair of RCA cables in the past then it's a cheap deal) primarily due to the YPAO feature (as well as the lack of a captured power cord so I can use one of my aftermarket power cords). The YPAO works as advertised and let's me totally tweak the settings from the iPad app, the clarity and definition of the sounds coming from the unit were noticeably better after the YPAO was engaged.

Lack of a MC input was of no concern for me as all of my cartridges are moving iron or moving magnet and I had no plans to change, if I did then I suppose an outboard phono stage would be in order (actually I just remembered I have a NAD phonostage that is switchable if I ever needed it, totally forgot I own that).

At some point would it be interesting to see if Yamaha takes their upgraded line and starts to incorporate some of these features into it, sure, and I might be interested. Dual mono DAC chips for instance, or dual power supplies, but, in the meantime I will just happily keep listening and really think this is something to be auditioned if you want a two-channel system. Yes, you can buy an AVR for less but I don't think you get the specialization of the product.

By the way, current speakers in use with the unit are late 80s Infinite Slope Model 1s I picked up at a garage sale from an original owner!! Not overly efficient I don't think (although the old promotional material will tell you otherwise) but this unit drives them to satisfactory levels. I have some Focal Aria towers on order and will be curious to see how they sound with this unit once the delivery guy hauls them up the driveway!

Enjoy!!

D

Dave J

Audiophyte
It is surprising that this is the first "non-exotic" stereo receiver to offer the roomEQ and bass management systems that are taken for granted in an AVR!
With the retro look and bass management, I can't help but think of the Outlaw RR2160 (though I doubt Outlaw is much of a "blip" on Yamaha's radar).
On the positive, it has YPAO, will manage the sub crossover, and can remember sound configurations associated with different sources. Well networked supporting digital and streaming.
On the negative, the performance of the amp section look more like a receiver and less like an integrated amp with a built-in tuner (and doesn't have pre-outs). Outlaw wins the power war. The amp section should do fine with most speakers, but I think if they just produced the preamp section for the same price, they would have an interesting/attractive product.
The 8ohm power is 100 watts per channel RMS, 20-20kHz, 0.019%THD; but the 4ohm is speced at 160 watts at 1kHz, 0.7%THD.

Nonetheless, this looks like an attractive product for someone that wants a 2.1 or 2.2 stereo setup and has reasonably well behaved speakers (efficiency and impedance/phase).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803/index.html
I just got to audition the new R-N803 at an AV dealers Halloween open house night. That receiver was paired with the new Paradigm Persona 3F speakers (way out of scale price wise and done on purpose). That combination revealed how good the 803 is. I was shocked.

D

Dave J

Audiophyte
Very surprised Yamaha blew it..
They are missing some performance features usually found on step-up components..
1. Pre-out Main-in connectors
2. MC phono circuit
3. Processor loop
4. Digital out, optical & coax

Just my $0.02... ;)
I'm not surprised or disappointed. I haven't seen any other 2 channel receivers in this price range with those options. From what I've seen, most of those options seem to be "reserved" for separates and super expensive integrated amps.

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
Mine continues to perform to my expectations. I am driving a pair of 90s vintage Infinite Slope Model 1 speakers. The only glitch with the unit has been a firmware issue. Right from the start the unit indicated a firmware update was needed, when there were none. Finally Yamaha did release one, but the unit fails to update and just shuts off.

I exchanged it for another which did the same thing. Sent it back and the techs pulled one from stock at their warehouse and it also does the same thing. Yamaha tech support indicates they are getting reports from customers elsewhere of this problem. Right now I am just waiting on the vendor to find one that updates properly and then when I get it I will continue my use!

In the meantime I also upgraded my AV receiver from a Yamaha A1030 to an A1060 primarily so that I could get a unit which uses the MusicCast app interface as opposed to the old AV control app. One app now controls all my Yamaha products, and has also worked well for me.

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
I just got to audition the new R-N803 at an AV dealers Halloween open house night. That receiver was paired with the new Paradigm Persona 3F speakers (way out of scale price wise and done on purpose). That combination revealed how good the 803 is. I was shocked.
So where was the dealer? I might have to reach out to another dealer about mine, see my post about a firmware issue. Maybe your dealer has some without this apparent glitch. I am in Columbus, OH there are no local dealers that carry this, they can only special order them. I had to buy from an online retailer.

So strike my earlier question about the dealer, seems the dealer I purchased from found a way to fix the firmware update error. They got the new firmware to take using the Yamaha R-N602 USB procedure (the prior model) from the service manual. The 803 had no service manual out yet, but they were able to figure it out. Props to ABT at abt.com. It’s on its way back to me now for reintroduction into my system.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not surprised or disappointed. I haven't seen any other 2 channel receivers in this price range with those options. From what I've seen, most of those options seem to be "reserved" for separates and super expensive integrated amps.
Your point is well taken, but for the record, the Yamaha R-S700 has pre out Main in connections.
(But strangely the more expensive A-S700 integrated amp does not).

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern
I'm interested in this receiver but cannot get a solid answer on whether or not it has bass management as in set your L/R speakers to "small" and set a crossover frequency.

Looking at the Yamaha web site and in the manual I see no mention of setting a crossover frequency for the sub other than using the crossover on the sub itself.

I saw at least one on-line review that mentioned the crossover can be set using the Yamaha app (musicast?). Seems strange. Can anyone confirm?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I'm interested in this receiver but cannot get a solid answer on whether or not it has bass management as in set your L/R speakers to "small" and set a crossover frequency.

Looking at the Yamaha web site and in the manual I see no mention of setting a crossover frequency for the sub other than using the crossover on the sub itself.

I saw at least one on-line review that mentioned the crossover can be set using the Yamaha app (musicast?). Seems strange. Can anyone confirm?
Yes.. Using YPAO, this product does set speaker X-overs and levels including L/R and subwoofer, the software is designed with fewer user adjustable parameters as to be much simpler than a Yamaha AVR. Primary target market for this product was Europe who often want to connect a CD player or digital source device for streaming music thats why it includes BT and USB. Also note in the Euro version they include DAB tuner capability, in the USA version this is deleted as the Euro market accounts for about 75% Yamaha's stereo receiver sales.

Just my $0.02... ;)

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
D52198D8-892E-42DC-A4E5-C866D4709220.jpeg
A9FE7329-C421-40FF-B9B3-651E107ECDE5.jpeg
53CB4AF2-67E4-49FF-800C-FEF24C5B530D.jpeg
I agree it allows various crossover settings in the app. As the prior poster indicated there is a lot of speaker adjustment that can be made. You set your sub crossover to max (or off) and the volume level at a third or so, and then the app does the rest. The YPAO microphone does the initial setup and then you can tweak things. See the photos.

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
Yes.. Using YPAO, this product does set speaker X-overs and levels including L/R and subwoofer, the software is designed with fewer user adjustable parameters as to be much simpler than a Yamaha AVR. Primary target market for this product was Europe who often want to connect a CD player or digital source device for streaming music thats why it includes BT and USB. Also note in the Euro version they include DAB tuner capability, in the USA version this is deleted as the Euro market accounts for about 75% Yamaha's stereo receiver sales.

Just my $0.02... ;)
This is interesting information, and answers a number of questions I had about the whole product line. Thanks.

L

larryincmh

Enthusiast
So I replied to you on this separately, just wanted to be sure you saw my response as well as the other posters.

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern

Just my $0.02... ;)
Good info, MCode. Thanks!

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern
So I replied to you on this separately, just wanted to be sure you saw my response as well as the other posters.
Thanks for posting those screenshots! It does appear that I can do what I want to do with this "receiver", but it relies on an app to fully use the product which could or could not be supported 2, 3, 5, 10 years from now. I guess that's the new world we live in. :) I'll roll with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis