Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Interesting. So when you listen to music, you listen through 'direct mode'? How about using MiniDSP?
Would also like to know how much better minidsp is comparing to ypao. My minidsp still not fully configured:(

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I will try to remember this when I listen to music next time. :D

So open the MusicCast app, then to into the Advanced Settings --> Sound, then choose Bass Extension.

Where is Advanced Settings? My app only has “settings” and no advanced settings.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Where do you find “Advanced settings”? all I see in my app is settings, no Advanced settings in there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. So when you listen to music, you listen through 'direct mode'? How about using MiniDSP?
I used to listen to STRAIGHT mode on the Yamaha, which is close to DIRECT mode, but allows Subwoofer (2.1).

But these days I actually prefer using DSU for watching movies/TV shows and music.

I actually think DSU/DTSNX sound better than SACD. :D

So I set YPAO to THROUGH mode (Bypass mode). And set DSP mode to DOLBY SURROUND (DSU).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where is Advanced Settings? My app only has “settings” and no advanced settings.
That's what @highfigh said.

I have not tried it yet. I might try it after work just to try it, although it's most likely something I would never use. :D

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Maybe it’s AV controller app. No Advanced settings in there but there IS a sub settings.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was streaming a lot of music from my Android phone directly to my Yamaha this weekend using MusicCast.

It was flawless 100% of the time. No signal dropping, no songs stopping midway, not even one time.

It was just perfect streaming.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Where do you find “Advanced settings”? all I see in my app is settings, no Advanced settings in there.
Open the app, click on the gear- if you can't see it, go to the home screen and it will be in the upper right corner. Once it opens Settings, click on the device you want to control and scroll down to the bottom- Advanced Settings is close to the bottom.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Is there a "Bass Extension" choice under the Subwoofer Setting?
No, it's in Sound- you can only find this if you open Advanced Settings and it's at the top of the list.

Did you notice that the IP address is at the top? Use that if you want to make setup easier by adding '/setup' to the address ( I posted this earlier, but don't know who has looked for/at it).

As advanced as Sonos wants people to think they are, they only recently announced a replacement for their Connect Amp, which now has a Mono setting. Their stuff does only a fraction of what MusicCast and Heos does WRT sound and adjustments.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Open the app, click on the gear- if you can't see it, go to the home screen and it will be in the upper right corner. Once it opens Settings, click on the device you want to control and scroll down to the bottom- Advanced Settings is close to the bottom.
Okay, @Good4it, try this right now at home and let us know (since I am at work). :D

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Got too advanced settings but no sub or any settings. Only thing showing is streaming choices.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Investigation further revels when MusicCast is opened and scrolling down to advanced settings when Room1 (which my AVR calls the AV Control app) opens and there is a bass adjustment in there. On my iPad it’s a separate app, so we both are right.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Investigation further what MusicCast is opened and scrolling down to advanced settings whet Room1 (which my AVR calls the AV Control app opens and there is a bass adjustment in there. On my iPad it’s a separate app, so we both are right.
So different AVR model numbers and different devices (iOS vs Android) will probably have slightly different layout/setting.

But here is my question. If we need extra bass, why not just simply increase the Subwoofer Trim Level on the phone/iPad Remote app (AV Controller)?

No need to go into any menus or submenus for this.

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
That’s the second app I was talking about. Easier to go there at first.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what I see with MusicCast app.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s the second app I was talking about. Easier to go there at first.
Yep. As soon as you start the remote app, click “OPTION” and the “Subwoofer Trim” is Right there.

Don’t have to mess with any settings and sub-menus.

So my question is, if the bass of the song seems weak, why not just increase the Subwoofer Trim Level (like +3)? :D

Anyway, I can’t seem to even get to the “Advanced Setting” on the MusicCast app on my iPad or Samsung S9+ phone. So if you can get to that, then you got further than I did! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis